Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kate Bush song "Running Up That Hill" hits #1!!!

Kate Bush song "Running Up That Hill" hits #1!!!

I love that song and Hounds of Love is just incredible so if the new series of Stranger Things introduces a younger audience to her music then that has to be a good thing. I also heard a remixed version of Journey's Separate Ways in one of the trailers but I was watching episode 2 yesterday and gave up half way through.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That’s cool - this is how my son finds most music these days, so Kate should get working on a new album!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

I had zero intention of watching the fourth season of Stranger Things, but this might actually tip me over into giving it a shot, especially since it sounds like the Kate Bush thing is more than just a passing needle drop.

^ Spoken like a true prog fan.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ Spoken like a true prog fan.
    Haha dunno how complimentary that is but I'd assume "true prog fan" is a good thing to be called on a prog message board? I enjoyed the first two seasons but the third one went soooo overboard with "hey look it's the 80's" and the cutesy bickering between Winona Ryder and the Sheriff that, by the end of it, I felt pretty burned out on the whole season. But Kate Bush is a smart enough version of '80s nostalgia that it makes me feel more generously inclined toward season 4.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just heard a nice spot about this on the BBC World News on NPR! They interviewed the author of the book “Kate Bush: Under the Ivy.” It was great - she was likened to Bowie and Peter Gabriel.

This must be really nice for Kate! Does she have go mime the song on Top of the Pops?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Oh man, as soon as my 13 year old daughter mentioned Stranger Things and a Kate Bush tune, how totally predictable that it would be Running Up That Hill. Other fvcking KB songs are available, though you wouldn't know it.

Love the show. Every season. It's great that they picked that song. It's the big hit that people were listening to at the time, so it's only natural that they would pick that one. Pretty amazing that it's at #1 again, by whatever means and platform.

Neil

Great news for Kate. Now if she would only release Before the Dawn on DVD...

Wife asks, " Have you ever heard of Kate Bush?"

Whoa cool, I just played this album the other day too, thinking this deserved way more attention than it got. Looks like someone heard me .
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Great news for Kate. Now if she would only release Before the Dawn on DVD...
    I think that ship sailed long ago. Besides, the visuals would have to be really good to compensate for the flat sonics.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Love the show. Every season. It's great that they picked that song. It's the big hit that people were listening to at the time, so it's only natural that they would pick that one. Pretty amazing that it's at #1 again, by whatever means and platform.

Neil
    Same here, with all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Haha dunno how complimentary that is but I'd assume "true prog fan" is a good thing to be called on a prog message board? I enjoyed the first two seasons but the third one went soooo overboard with "hey look it's the 80's" and the cutesy bickering between Winona Ryder and the Sheriff that, by the end of it, I felt pretty burned out on the whole season. But Kate Bush is a smart enough version of '80s nostalgia that it makes me feel more generously inclined toward season 4.
    It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If a Kate Bush song gets you to give this season a chance, then that's great. Season 4 is very different in tone than season 3. I've loved all of the seasons so far, even the third one with its homages to John Carpenter's "The Thing" (among others). The bright neon 80s vibe was very different for the show, and I like how each season feels different from the others.

Some newer female artist covered this song about a year ago or so. I'm glad it was Kate's version and not the cover that hit number one though.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If a Kate Bush song gets you to give this season a chance, then that's great. Season 4 is very different in tone than season 3. I've loved all of the seasons so far, even the third one with its homages to John Carpenter's "The Thing" (among others). The bright neon 80s vibe was very different for the show, and I like how each season feels different from the others.
    I'll be interested in seeing what the tone is like for this season, then. I've heard it's gotten a bit darker and more serious to match the maturity of the actors and that seems like it would be a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Some newer female artist covered this song about a year ago or so. I'm glad it was Kate's version and not the cover that hit number one though.
    OT: Looks she was not the only one to cover this song: https://secondhandsongs.com/work/14853/versions
    I only have the beautiful Theo Bleckmann's version (from the CD Hello Earth):

^^^
    I need to get that album. Bleckmann is a mofo.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    ^^^
    I need to get that album. Bleckmann is a mofo.
    It can be bought directly from the Winter & Winter-label: https://www.winterandwinter.com/

The series got a rave review in a Dutch news-paper today, which closed with the notion that you'll hear Kate in your head all the time after you've watched the series. "It doesn't hurt me".....

Sorry to continue the thread drift, but...I ordered a physical copy of Hello Earth!, and have been listening to the album on Apple Music in the meantime. Holy shit, this is beautiful. I admit to not being as familiar with KB's catalog as some, but I know Hounds of Love fairly well. His interpretations/arrangements stand solidly on their own merits, and also make me want to go back to the source material. And what a band! I've known about Skuli and Hollenbeck for a long time, but Henry Hey is a revelation - the guy is a total badass. So glad RUTH went viral-ish based on Stranger Things, otherwise I might never have been hip to this wonderful side. Prog Ears scores again!!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Running Up That Hill has also made its way to TikTok, its in over 1/2 million videos

I rather like Placebo's version too:

Can Ran Tan Waltz be far behind?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I was pleased with the inclusion of Running Up That Hill (its a recurring presence) in the Stranger Things soundtrack but boy is season 4 turning out to be tedious. I dig the reworked Journey song though. The show's score is heavily slanted towards electronic music like Vangelis, Tangerine Dream and Brian Eno.