Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Alan White of Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Aww, man...that did it. 😢
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn_McCool View Post
    Is the first show that Alan White played with Yes after three days of practice available? Is it part of the Progeny set? That is an amazing story.
    Not officially, but there's been a longtime poor quality audience boot floating around. Interesting to check out but not listenable for a long period IMO.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I forgot to mention that he was one of the few musicians I met who asked me my name and shook my hand. Others have said he was a class act and a true gentleman. I'm inclined to agree. RIP Alan.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    RIP Alan

RIP to one of the last of the great British drummers from the 60s and 70s. Thanks so much for the music, Alan.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Another huge loss in the music world. Very very sad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen Yes 10 times between 1980 and 2013. I've seen three singers, two guitarists, five keyboardists, but only one Chris and one Alan. Every time Chris and Alan were there holding it all together, rhythmically emotionally spiritually.

IMHO the best progrock rhythm section known to mankind. No longer with us. The end of an era. RIP.

I posted this clip on Facebook but I wanted to share it here because it shows Alan in his youth, barely 22 years old, smoking a giant spliff and rocking with one of the great vocalists of his times. The video provides a glimpse into Alan's pre-Yes career and is a classic look back at a special era of music.

Very sad news.
    Met him once, such a nice man.
    Condolences to his loved ones and to all you fellow Alan and Yes fans.

So sad to hear the news about Alan White R.I.P. and thanks for the memories.

I am very fortunate to have seen him perform with Yes quite a few times. What a powerhouse drummer. Very sad he is no longer with us.

RIP.

I am reminded of To Ascend that was written by Alan & Jon D. Some of the verses seem very poignant,

Were you drifting
    On a strange tide?
    Collecting visions
    From the other side?
    Caught between day and night
    You were stealing moments past hours
    of your life
    And balancing on
    The edge of a knife

Memories of once longer days
    They keep on flooding back
    The adventurous times when we
    travelled life's road
    Though we were often blind
    But with a lot more heart
    And for each other
    Taking the time

On a wing and a prayer
    A wounded bird in the hand
    With the eyes of a child
    Come to understand
    I will open the book
    Raise the pen
    Let it reinvent
    My life again
    Take me from where I am
    As a freed bird
    Flies from the hand
    To ascend, to ascend

I saw YES about 30 times since 1977 and my favorite Alan moment was during the Union tour in Worcester MA during the big finale at the end of AND YOU AND I. He played a huge,slow drum fill that was so powerful, the whole arena stood up spontaneously in unison. A spine tingling moment that I replay in my mind's eye often and it never fails to inspire.
    Last edited by the winter tree; 05-27-2022 at 01:18 PM.

And thanks for that post of a young Alan at the Glastonbury Festival smiling and enjoying life and music.

RIP good sir. I met him with my daughter back stage at the NY SYN show. He was curtious and engaged. A gentleman. He has been frail the last few years. A good man.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Alan was not unlike Ringo Starr in that he was the calm eye in a sometimes tumultuous whirlwind of personalities, the common thread that would connect all of them long after the rest went their own way.

It was obvious to all that Alan wasn't well when the news of his property's theft surfaced. Even if he were to never have used them again anyway there's a part of me that hopes Alan's passing might weigh down the souls of those responsible. I know that won't be the case and now the theft is but a patch on the man's legacy. He'll be remembered in the media and fanbases as longtime Yes drummer and not Bruford's replacement. He's going to be having one incredible reunion where he's going.

Great drummer and a virtuoso man. And for a while he played North drums. Goodbye, Alan.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

RIP

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My recollections of Alan White was his thundering drumming style, shining personality and always was a KEY member of Yes.

Alan first stood up at the plate when he was called to replace Bill Bruford back in 1972. He only had a few days to learn the very complex and challenging music of Yes and that was his first key moment.

The first of many times I saw Alan with Yes was for the TFTO tour 1974 when his drum kit was below a Roger Dean design illuminated scarab that opened its wings during the ending of Ritual, stellar moment indeed.
    He did not have the ego of like say, Steve Howe who never gives up a chance to play his acoustic solo, on the contrary, the only times Alan played a drum solo was during Ritual and he was joined by Chris and the other members.

The other main KEY moment was in 1981-82 when Alan with Chris (now BOTH sadly gone) kept the Yes flame going when recording Run with the Fox, you could now say they both are the missing link gone forever. After that period came Yeswest and we know the rest as they say is history.

There was even another Key moment when Alan composed the piano introduction and main tune for IN THE PRESENCE OF for the Magnification album and it was so wonderful to see Alan sitting at the keyboard playing his song with only Jon on vocals.

That's my tribute to Alan with love, you will always be in our Yes memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    There was even another Key moment when Alan composed the piano introduction and main tune for IN THE PRESENCE OF for the Magnification album and it was so wonderful to see Alan sitting at the keyboard playing his song with only Jon on vocals.
    cd10.jpg

Indeed. I also saw them play this song but it was with Wakeman playing the piano part. BTW I always really liked this piece, it goes into some classic-sounding Yes sections which sounded great live.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just spun Circa: "2007" as well - always a powerful, meaty snare sound ..

He will be missed
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

From PROG.com-Musicians take to social media to pay tribute to Alan White:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/mus...sDpKMrnlCWD4rQ

The Prog Corner

On the Rhino reissue of Relayer, there is a bonus track of 'The Gates of Delirium (Studio Run-Through)' with Alan up front in the mix - nice and clear
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor