Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: YES: Lineup change for upcoming tour

YES: Lineup change for upcoming tour

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

No surprise there, but I hope Alan takes care of himself. Sad, but expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    No surprise there, but I hope Alan takes care of himself. Sad, but expected.

Absolutely. That interview with him after his stuff was stolen said it all. Poor guy. I feel for him.

After seeing his condition in that recent video where his drums had been stolen, I would have been amazed if he had been in fighting shape for a tour. He sounded like a 90 year-old man, and I don't say that to be cruel.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

A huge shame but rather expected, I am afraid.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

All the best to Alan.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

In truth, not really a lineup change...Schellen's been pretty much THE live Yes drummer for a while now, with White doing just a few bits here and there when he could manage it.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    In truth, not really a lineup change...Schellen's been pretty much THE live Yes drummer for a while now, with White doing just a few bits here and there when he could manage it.
    Absolutely true.

As a 62-year old drummer, it is far easier to play a guitar or a keyboard than the drums. Age by itself doesn’t hamper drumming, but injuries do. Alan’s back issues are perhaps the worst thing a drummer can face. Poor Phil C knows that (plus, he has the hand issues too).

Alan is a legend. If he quit after all the Lennon and Harrison work, he’d be iconic. But his palmares is also full of his excellent work for Yes, Squire, and other artists. The guy deserves to retire.

It's very sad that Alan White won't be playing with Yes on their upcoming tour. However, after seeing that video clip of him a few months ago looking so frail [the interview he gave when his drums were stolen], it's the right thing for him to do. All the best to Alan!

Sad to hear, but as others have said, not terribly surprising. Best wishes to Alan. I'm thankful that I got to see him perform with Yes 8 or 9 times over the years. I'll always cherish those memories of seeing my all time favorite band in action.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Wish him the best. Hope it’s nothing serious.

best to Alan.. does anybody know if there's a way to get a hold of that poster art? sort of looks like the Wilson release cover art.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Yeah I mean on a personal level I can definitely feel for Alan -- my dad had really bad back issues and it totally derailed the last 10 years of his life, he ended up passing away from cancer at like age 65 too
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    best to Alan.. does anybody know if there's a way to get a hold of that poster art? sort of looks like the Wilson release cover art.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they sell it as part of the tour merch.

In one of the other threads I believe Henry mentions Alan has been involved with the new recordings now underway..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    In one of the other threads I believe Henry mentions Alan has been involved with the new recordings now underway..
    Yes, he has.

And the announcement is only about this tour leg. Theoretically, White will be back for the Japanese leg, although clearly in practice there must be doubt over that.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Many Yes alumni have said (paraphrasing) "I can see a version of Yes living on in different lineups for eternity, blah, blah, blah".

I think the time is right for the old guard to make way for the new guard. White, Howe, and Downes should retire from Yes so that Yes can be reborn. It is clear that Davison and Sherwood have new material they want to get out. They need an environment along with different players that will facilitate. I sincerely thank White, Howe, and Downes for everything that they have given us for the past 6 decades in and out of Yes but Yes shouldn't remain a greatest hits jukebox.

Let the legends retire. They have more than earned it!

Stop prolonging the rebirth of Yes.

(rant over, flame away)
    Last edited by timmy; 05-23-2022 at 07:33 PM.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I am pretty sure Alan is following his doctor's orders. He is very frail and after the long lockdown hiatus, he still isn't ready even for a short tour like this one. Much less being able to travel to the UK and Japan (he lives in Seattle).
    It is sad when what were once great legends are now almost forced to retire but I wish him well and thank Alan for all his amazing art he has given us.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Many Yes alumni have said (paraphrasing) "I can see a version of Yes living on in different lineups for eternity, blah, blah, blah".

I think the time is right for the old guard to make way for the new guard. White, Howe, and Downes should retire from Yes so that Yes can be reborn. It is clear that Davison and Sherwood have new material they want to get out. They need an environment along with different players that will facilitate. I sincerely thank White, Howe, and Downes for everything that they have given us for the past 6 decades in and out of Yes but Yes shouldn't become a greatest hits jukebox.

Let the legends retire. They have more than earned it!

Stop prolonging the rebirth of Yes.

(rant over, flame away)
    Fairly certain that the instant Howe relaxes his grip on the Yes brand, Anderson will pounce all over it and sue any attempts to continue a version of Yes without him. In unrelated news, wow my opinion of Anderson has plummeted over the last decade or so

Regardless...I can't say I'd be terribly interested in a new Yes with no ties to the past. Also...minor oddity but at this point, Yes 2.0 would be an almost entirely US-driven band rather than an English band. That doesn't help my sentiments either.

Just me and my $0.02 of course, they can (and will) do whatever they wish and I'll wish them the best
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Also...minor oddity but at this point, Yes 2.0 would be an almost entirely US-driven band rather than an English band.
    I felt more strongly about this with KC than Yes, but I think there's some relevance to it here as well. But Yes always connected better with a mainstream American rock audience than other prog bands, so there's a still a chance that a U.S. heavy-lineup could steer things well.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Yes shouldn't become a greatest hits jukebox.
    If you're worried about them "becoming" a greatest hits jukebox, it happened long ago. They've essentially been that since the 90's. A smattering of new songs on a number of tours, but mostly the 70's classic era material.

Just me and my $0.02 of course, they can (and will) do whatever they wish and I'll wish them the best
    No one who knows you actually believes you!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It is really sad, and I feel for him if it is something he still wants to do but really - just call it a day and retire. Unless he needs the money, just retire, relax and get healthy. Does anyone want to see him out there again, playing some songs and then sitting on the bench as a substitute fills in during the show? I get that it's been his whole life but it is obviously a sign that this is it.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

did Alan play on the CTTE album? wasn't Tales his debut in the studio? I know he toured on that tour.

there comes a time to think about what's best for your health, and at almost 74 with all his problems; it's time to call it quits
    endless you are Phil Collins and will wheel yourself on stage looking so frail just for that one more hurrah

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    If you're worried about them "becoming" a greatest hits jukebox, it happened long ago. They've essentially been that since the 90's. A smattering of new songs on a number of tours, but mostly the 70's classic era material.
    You are so correct. I will correct this in my post now.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015