Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 187

Thread: R.I.P. Vangelis

  1. #151
    Many years ago in a (IMHO not terribly well edited) book about Vangelis, he was quoted as saying that there was a ton of unreleased music but he was disinterested in making it available. But that after he died, he didn't care what happened with it.

    It's not much of a silver lining, but it would be nice if his estate/management were to dip into the archive and produce some gems. Speaking just for myself, stuff like Antigone, the Bounty score, a complete "recreated" double album of The City, etc...it would be nice to finally hear some of this work. Edit: oh, one more...I believe that there is a "original" version of Mythodea that is just Vangelis and synths, pre-orchestra and choir. Might not be as excellent as the finished product but I'd still part with a few bucks for the opportunity to hear it.

    Spent time over the weekend revisiting Earth, Chariots, and China.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

  2. #152
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Many years ago in a (IMHO not terribly well edited) book about Vangelis, he was quoted as saying that there was a ton of unreleased music but he was disinterested in making it available. But that after he died, he didn't care what happened with it.

    It's not much of a silver lining, but it would be nice if his estate/management were to dip into the archive and produce some gems. Speaking just for myself, stuff like Antigone, the Bounty score,
    The Bounty and Missing...bring it.

    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    a complete "recreated" double album of The City,
    Oh? I'll take it.

    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    etc...it would be nice to finally hear some of this work. Edit: oh, one more...I believe that there is a "original" version of Mythodea that is just Vangelis and synths, pre-orchestra and choir. Might not be as excellent as the finished product but I'd still part with a few bucks for the opportunity to hear it.
    That would be very cool to hear.

  3. #153
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    3,140
    Listening to the Best of Jon & Vangelis right now. I have always enjoyed this one. Yeah, I need to hear the full albums as well as more Vangelis proper.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

  4. #154
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGioaf. View Post
    Apropos, Vangelis' percussion tasks could have been even scary.



    ^^^
    Thx, Svettie.

    I was cy-urious about the first two OST soundtrackDoesn't sound like a porn flick soundtrack - especially compared to Klaus' Body Love.

    I'll have to check out if I can find the movie at the library - I'll probably prefer discovering much of Vangelis' discography (whatever I don't know of already) via the movies then via the OST releases.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  5. #155
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,969
    A couple of days ago there was a Vangelis question on Jeopardy! Mayim even pronounced his name correctly, which the vast majority of people do not. The episode was recorded weeks or months before his tragic passing.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  6. #156
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A couple of days ago there was a Vangelis question on Jeopardy! Mayim even pronounced his name correctly, which the vast majority of people do not. The episode was recorded weeks or months before his tragic passing.
    I thought she said it as Van Jealous which is actually incorrect.

    Edit: I just watched it on youtube and you are right, she did say it the right way.

    Anyway, yes, that's a weird coincidence that it came up just a few days after his passing.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:38 PM.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

  7. #157
    Current revisiting 1492. I remember when this first came out, buying my copy (on cassette, at Peaches in Richmond) and thinking it was going to be my favorite album of all time. It ticked so many of those boxes that only Vangelis could tick at the time (for me). It's not quite as strong to my ears decades later, but I do think it's an excellent soundtrack, maybe one of the last really great scores he did.

    Also ran through Amore over the last few days, the previously-unreleased '73 score that dropped on vinyl a year or three ago. Not exactly a great lost masterpiece (and it's in mono which gives my ears a minor twich) but some really nice early Vangelis mood music. Might pop on the Mariangela next, as long as I'm in the odd corners from the earlier days.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

  8. #158
    Completely one of a kind, and a manual as well as spiritual king of fixtured creativity. His most original works remain some of the most innovative visions ever produced in European popular music.

    My dear goodness, what a legacy!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  9. #159
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Might pop on the Mariangela next, as long as I'm in the odd corners from the earlier days.
    I need to hear that. Just played Ignacio.

  10. #160

  11. #161
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    2,004
    Haven't seen this posted yet:

    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  12. #162

  13. #163
    Thanks for linking to those last two videos. Never seen them!

  14. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    3
    See you later, Maestro.


  15. #165
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,149
    NP: Direct.


  16. #166
    ^^^ Wonderful album from start to finish.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

  17. #167
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    ^^^ Wonderful album from start to finish.
    I freakin' love it. It's brimming with ideas, and needless to say, it's aging well (thirty-four years and counting).

  18. #168
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,149
    Like a boss.




  19. #169
    I have a Deckard's Dream synth which is a replica of the CS-80, and various keyboards that can do polyphonic aftertouch, etc...and I can't conjure even a tiny portion of what this man could do. It's like they were made for each other.

    Going "off the reservation" this AM and using Invisible Connections as my morning soundtrack. So, it's going to be a weird day
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

  20. #170
    I am sure that you know this, but without the ring modulator in the separate Deckard's Dream Expander there is a huge component missing in terms of Vangelis (or even Eddie Jobson) emulation in the Black Corporation synth to begin with.
    This not slighting the above performance in the least, of course!

    Nice album production, BTW!
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

    εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    I am sure that you know this, but without the ring modulator in the separate Deckard's Dream Expander there is a huge component missing in terms of Vangelis (or even Eddie Jobson) emulation in the Black Corporation synth to begin with.
    This not slighting the above performance in the least, of course!

    Nice album production, BTW!
    Oh, I have the expander too :-) Still can't touch his effortless command of the CS-80, but I can certainly have fun playing riffs from Blade Runner and Spiral

  22. #172
    The Arturia software version has the ringmodulator.

  23. #173
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I have a Deckard's Dream synth which is a replica of the CS-80
    Does it weigh as much?

    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It's like they were made for each other.
    WORD.

    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Going "off the reservation" this AM and using Invisible Connections as my morning soundtrack. So, it's going to be a weird day
    I'm predictable: currently playing Juno to Jupiter. But sheesh, this thing is sumptuous. The "Jupiter's Intuition"/"Juno's Power" stretch is mesmerizing. Big swells. And then he folds it seamlessly into the laidback jazz-tinged "Space's Mystery Road" that would be at home on probably five other albums by him. He really was his own level.

  24. #174
    Juno To Jupiter is pretty great as the last official offering from the man. I enjoy it frequently.

  25. #175
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Juno To Jupiter is pretty great as the last official offering from the man. I enjoy it frequently.
    It flows so...effortlessly. Yeah, a high note...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •