Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine documentary

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes, they did a great job on it considering they don't typically do anything prog related.
    I remember liking the shit out of it. Time to revisit.

Just heard Progressions of Power. Sonically heavy, but too many power ballads. They sound like a heavier Boston. The opening track is their......Smokin.'

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just heard Progressions of Power. Sonically heavy, but too many power ballads. They sound like a heavier Boston. The opening track is their......Smokin.'
    Hard Road is a killer though! So if I follow your trajectory thus far, you still have to listen to Allied Forces and Never Surrender, since you jumped past those to Thunder Seven?

Never Surrender has my favourite Emmett intro piece, A Minor Prelude.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Hard Road is a killer though! So if I follow your trajectory thus far, you still have to listen to Allied Forces and Never Surrender, since you jumped past those to Thunder Seven?

I'm going chronologically but I skipped to Thunder Seven. Progressions has one of those acoustic interludes. I love those.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    They sound like a heavier Boston
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Ouch!
    Yeah I winced a bit at that as well. But then to be fair, Rik was offered a spot in Boston, but turned it down because he didn't want 'to be a sideman in somebody else's band'. Same with Asia and Damn Yankees, both of whom wanted him (Wetton apparently pitched him hard for the Asia slot). He said he had already done that in Triumph as it was, since no matter what people might think, that was 'Gil Moore's band'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I would probably have to go with "Allied Forces" as my favorite overall album.

Yeah I winced a bit at that as well. But then to be fair, Rik was offered a spot in Boston, but turned it down because he didn't want 'to be a sideman in somebody else's band'.
    Yuck! What role would Rik play in one of the blandest rock acts ever? Collect a paycheck? Michael Sweet has no business being there, either, but yet he's made it his business.

Same with Asia and Damn Yankees, both of whom wanted him (Wetton apparently pitched him hard for the Asia slot).
    Wow. I've never heard about Rik being pitched to join either band. I learned something new today.

He said he had already done that in Triumph as it was, since no matter what people might think, that was 'Gil Moore's band'.
    He's right. But I think for the vast majority of fans, Rik was the main draw. That was painfully apparent when they released Edge of Excess (but I think it's pretty solid).

Yeah I winced a bit at that as well. But then to be fair, Rik was offered a spot in Boston, but turned it down because he didn't want 'to be a sideman in somebody else's band'. Same with Asia and Damn Yankees, both of whom wanted him (Wetton apparently pitched him hard for the Asia slot). He said he had already done that in Triumph as it was, since no matter what people might think, that was 'Gil Moore's band'.
    I love those first two Boston records. I just got the impression that on Progressions of Power it kinda has a Boston vibe. It's guitar heavy, some organ, very melodic. Wasn't meant as a put down. But the acoustic interludes are awesome.....cheers .

Wow. I've never heard about Rik being pitched to join either band. I learned something new today.
    I located the interview where I heard that:

^ I watched that interview a few days ago. I almost posted it. Very interesting. Rik is a character. Funny, self deprecating, a master at his craft.

Back on my Triumph binge:

Woof!

Amazing. They're having so much fun!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've been on a major Triumph kick lately. Any more updates as to when the blu-ray of the documentary will be released?

You can watch it on nugs.net but you have to "buy a ticket" and it's $20. I'm going to wait for the eventual DVD release.

https://www.nugs.net/live-download-o...8-WEBCAST.html

Elias, in case you missed it, it's finally happening in November.

https://officialtriumphmerch.com/col...entary-blu-ray

^^ Available on Blu-Ray (NTSC) only.

Interesting. I get why this is the case. But, we're talking mostly old guys who would buy this and I know some who don't have BR.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Available on Blu-Ray (NTSC) only.

Interesting. I get why this is the case. But, we're talking mostly old guys who would buy this and I know some who don't have BR.

My case

Not sure my HP laptop can handle BR either (never tried).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post

Hey, Steve! No, I did not know! Thanks for the 411. I will abso-defi-lu-ni-tely order that sucker!!

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post

Not sure if Canadian streaming service crave (partners with HBO) is global and you can create your own account but if yes, you can watch the documentary as many times as you want here without buying another dvd:

https://www.crave.ca/en/movies/trium...k-roll-machine

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    He's right. But I think for the vast majority of fans, Rik was the main draw. That was painfully apparent when they released Edge of Excess (but I think it's pretty solid).
    Not only that, but after reading the Triumph chapter of Rik's new memoir, he wrote a majority of the material. After "Just a Game," all songwriting credits were given to the band in the spirit of what they called the "Three Musketeers". Rik was getting a lot of attention (and royalties) for his songs and he didn't want to rock the boat so he suggested they split the money equally, especially since Mike and Gil did all the business and marketing work. But it was very apparent from Rik's book that he wrote most of the material from that point forward despite who sung. Later on Gil seemed to get a bit jealous of Rik's front man notoriety and he would claim songs for himself to sing. I would love to have heard Rik sing the lead on "Spellbound" and "Follow Your Heart." In fact, Rik said that he wrote essentially that whole album by himself in the studio while the other two were on a business trip to NYC (I think during the RCA/MCA debacle). That's the reason the second side of "Thunder Seven" is a little artsier that a lot of their other material. (Love that album.)
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Not only that, but after reading the Triumph chapter of Rik's new memoir, he wrote a majority of the material. After "Just a Game," all songwriting credits were given to the band in the spirit of what they called the "Three Musketeers". Rik was getting a lot of attention (and royalties) for his songs and he didn't want to rock the boat so he suggested they split the money equally, especially since Mike and Gil did all the business and marketing work. But it was very apparent from Rik's book that he wrote most of the material from that point forward despite who sung. Later on Gil seemed to get a bit jealous of Rik's front man notoriety and he would claim songs for himself to sing. I would love to have heard Rik sing the lead on "Spellbound" and "Follow Your Heart." In fact, Rik said that he wrote essentially that whole album by himself in the studio while the other two were on a business trip to NYC (I think during the RCA/MCA debacle). That's the reason the second side of "Thunder Seven" is a little artsier that a lot of their other material. (Love that album.)
    I am currently in the middle of Rick's book. Interesting stuff for sure. It is kind of hard to believe, but the original version of Triumph was only together less than a decade and had a pretty short career.

I'd like to read Rik's book. I was just at a record store yesterday in Caledonia, Ontario (about 30 mins south of me) for the first time called Second Chance Records. I did not realize until after I had left that the guy working there (who I chatted with for over an hour) was Chris Brockway, who co-wrote Blinding Light Show on the debut Triumph album! He also played bass and sang backup on Rik's solo album Absolutely.

He could have mentioned that to me! I'd be curious to see if he turns up in Rik's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Thanks for reminding me. I need to order that.

T7 was the first Triumph album I ever heard, and it remains my favorite. I do like Side B better than A!