Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine documentary

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Lay It On The Line made it all the way down to Tennessee back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Are you sure you've never heard Magic Power? Or Lay It On The Line, Fight The Good Fight, Follow Your Heart, Just One Night, Somebody's Out There...? I have a feeling you may not realize that you've heard them before.
    I probably have heard some of those but wasn't aware of them to be honest. Better late than never.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Lay It On The Line made it all the way down to Tennessee back when.
    They hit it big first in San Antonio, Texas. Kind of like Rush did in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I probably have heard some of those but wasn't aware of them to be honest. Better late than never.
    For sure. The first bunch of records are great, hit songs or deep cuts, doesn't matter!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wow. Rik Emmett. I'm getting a very proggy, almost Maiden vibe on here:

Excellence.

^^^ I've always thought that had a Maiden vibe as well. Just like the song Fight The Good Fight has a later-period Zeppelin vibe (Presence, In Through The Out Door).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I just heard all of R&R Machine. Rik plays out of his mind on that album. Where has this band been all my life? Better late than never. Great band.

I just heard all of R&R Machine. Rik plays out of his mind on that album. Where has this band been all my life? Better late than never. Great band.
    Glad you're digging them. Lots more good stuff to come if you stick with the chronological approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Are you sure you've never heard Magic Power? Or Lay It On The Line, Fight The Good Fight, Follow Your Heart, Just One Night, Somebody's Out There...? I have a feeling you may not realize that you've heard them before.
    My guess is he has heard at least some of those. Those were all over rock radio where I live in the midwest.

Get a load of this amazing crescendo (after the great bolero and the awesome duende)

they could've gone full-prog (they had the potential, anyways) if they'd given it a shot (as in wanted to)

In their early albums, they had also two double-shot songs that were sort of proggish: Street Fighter and NYC Streets
    Last edited by Trane; 05-21-2022 at 04:53 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I was listening to All The Way this morning and so loving it. Then my wife said 'It sounds like something from an 80s movie montage where the bullied teen works out relentlessly to get in shape and get revenge'.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My guess is he has heard at least some of those. Those were all over rock radio where I live in the midwest.
    I remember "Fight The Good Fight" from MTV. That AOR stuff was a staple there in its early years before the Thriller/Duran Duran/Madonna wave took over.

Glad you dig 'em!

Heard most of Just A Game today. Not too crazy about this one. What's the consensus on it? Just doesn't seem to rock as hard as the first two, or maybe it's too early in the day and haven't got my buzz yet? Lol.

Heard most of Just A Game today. Not too crazy about this one. What's the consensus on it? Just doesn't seem to rock as hard as the first two, or maybe it's too early in the day and haven't got my buzz yet? Lol.
    Although some of those middle-period albums have some of my favourite tracks (and are the most 'classic' by fan consensus), they aren't as solid from beginning to end as the first two and later albums like Thunder Seven and The Sport Of Kings IMO. But tracks like Just A Game, Hard Road, Ordinary Man, World Of Fantasy... great stuff.

I like it, but you're right that it's a little more varied. But it's a classic in my book. "Just a Game," "Movin' On" and "Lay It on the Line" sell it for me. Everything else is a bonus. It also has the first appearance of an Emmett solo instrumental (the best one comes later, on Thunder Seven).

Lay It On The Line sounds like classic late 70s, early 80s Arena Rock. Doesn't do much for me tbh.

I'll be honest, I am not sure the Triumph ever made what I would consider a great album from start to finish. There were always great tracks on all of them, but usually some filler tracks as well and this is a good example.

Lay It On The Line sounds like classic late 70s, early 80s Arena Rock. Doesn't do much for me tbh.
    Sure, it's arena rock, but it is great arena rock. Love that sone myself, but I get where you are coming from.

And now I have my buzz, and I'm about 3 songs into THUNDER SEVEN!. One consistent element of their sound is blues. Rik Emmet is a God of rock and acoustic guitar. I'm very impressed.

Here's an excellent interview with Gil Moore that might tide some people over who can't see the documentary yet:

And now I have my buzz, and I'm about 3 songs into THUNDER SEVEN!. One consistent element of their sound is blues. Rik Emmet is a God of rock and acoustic guitar. I'm very impressed.
    Rik is indeed a guitar god, m'man! I can't wait to hear what you think of "Time Goes By"!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Rik is indeed a guitar god, m'man! I can't wait to hear what you think of "Time Goes By"!
    You read my mind. That solo is so cool. The way he does it twice but differently gives me chills, just like Midsummers Daydream. Seeing that show live was a treat, they were so good at that time. Saw so many shows at The Aladdin, which was really cool, 7,500 people and amphitheater seating, a really nice sounding place. I had about tenth row center, right in the sweet spot of viewing them at stage height. Didn't have to look up or down, just right there. When he pulled out MD the place was wild as that's so impressive.

I so wish there was video from this tour but alas, I have found next to nothing.

ETA: Where the hell is the baseball thread? Am I blind? Sort of a rhetorical question but damn, I know there was once a thread here.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Gonna be honest. It rocks, but it's got that 80s, melodic, high sucking on helium high voice. But I love those instrumental interludes by Rik.

Gonna be honest. It rocks, but it's got that 80s, melodic, high sucking on helium high voice. But I love those instrumental interludes by Rik.
    But Rik's got one of the best helium voices, m'man! (But how about that guitar!?)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I so wish there was video from this tour but alas, I have found next to nothing.
    No kidding. There's video from the Never Surrender tour. There's a complete show from A Sport of Kings. But no T7.