Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Kaipa - Urskog (2022)

  1. #1

    Kaipa - Urskog (2022)

    Even more than the Flower Kings, the stretch of albums by the Hans Lundin led Kaipa is the epitome of comfort prog for the soul. You know exactly what you're getting when you listen to a Kaipa album. As always, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. When I eat a peanut butter sandwich, I do it because I remember how much I liked the last one I ate. I don't need it to be a $95 gourmet sandwich made by a guy sprinkling salt on it off his forearm; I just want to eat the damned sandwich.

    Phenomenal songwriting and musicianship right in that Kaipa wheelhouse that people love. If you loved the others, you'll love this one. My only gripe is a personal one. Aleena Gibson's voice cuts through me like a woman doing an auto dealership commercial screaming, "Come get some." (a NY area reference)
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  2. #2
    I'll add that when the Kaipa box set comes out it should be titled, Every Song an Anthem.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  3. #3
    Member rickawakeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Posts
    839
    Perpetual auto-buy.

  4. #4
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    13,740
    So what’s the first one where the band is led by Lundin?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  5. #5
    Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sneek, The Netherlands
    Posts
    248
    Technically speaking that would be Händer from 1980. But I think you're referring to the band with Patrik and Aleena on vox. That's Note From the Past from 2002. That one and the couple after that, still had Roine Stolt on guitar. He left because of Lundin's strong opinions about the music (and Roine's ofcourse)
    Musically I like this Kaipa. To a certain degree though, because I'm getting a tired of the keyboard sounds used. Patrik sounds better in his own band, Ritual.

    Kaipa Da Capo comes highly recommended if you haven't heard it. Especially the Live album, which has the amazing Lalle Larsson on keys.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

  6. #6
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    2,572
    I want a Ritual album, damn it!

  7. #7
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    13,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Technically speaking that would be Händer from 1980. But I think you're referring to the band with Patrik and Aleena on vox. That's Note From the Past from 2002. That one and the couple after that, still had Roine Stolt on guitar. He left because of Lundin's strong opinions about the music (and Roine's ofcourse)
    Musically I like this Kaipa. To a certain degree though, because I'm getting a tired of the keyboard sounds used. Patrik sounds better in his own band, Ritual.

    Kaipa Da Capo comes highly recommended if you haven't heard it. Especially the Live album, which has the amazing Lalle Larsson on keys.
    Didn’t know there was a live Kaipa Da Capo. But my question was really directed at Splicer, though I didn’t make it clear. I want to know which ones he considers Comfort Prog.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Didn’t know there was a live Kaipa Da Capo. But my question was really directed at Splicer, though I didn’t make it clear. I want to know which ones he considers Comfort Prog.
    All of them starting with Notes from the Past. Tastes vary, but for me comfort music is something familiar that I enjoy instantly. There is no acquiring a taste - the taste is already well established and the music satisfies it. I don't care if it's not pushing an envelope because it's simply enjoyable.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  9. #9
    Member BarryLI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    All of them starting with Notes from the Past. Tastes vary, but for me comfort music is something familiar that I enjoy instantly. There is no acquiring a taste - the taste is already well established and the music satisfies it. I don't care if it's not pushing an envelope because it's simply enjoyable.
    I hopped onboard after Roine left and have been sailing along ever since, look forward to their once every 4-5 year releases.

  10. #10
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,997
    I want to like the last few albums, but they just sound too much the same. The last one I heard I felt that Per Nilsson was somewhat underutilized and/or his contribution was...I don't know...somewhat muted from what I would have expected. A couple songs just seemed to go on and on with nothing new introduced making me think some editing was in order. Also it seems like last time I asked before buying I was told "oh no, you'll like this one" and I was sorely disappointed. I might have to look for a place to stream this one.
    <sig out of order>

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I want to like the last few albums, but they just sound too much the same. The last one I heard I felt that Per Nilsson was somewhat underutilized and/or his contribution was...I don't know...somewhat muted from what I would have expected. A couple songs just seemed to go on and on with nothing new introduced making me think some editing was in order. Also it seems like last time I asked before buying I was told "oh no, you'll like this one" and I was sorely disappointed. I might have to look for a place to stream this one.
    Tastes are all personal. You can stream it on Apple Music and presumably the others as well.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •