Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queensryche with LaTorre

Queensryche with LaTorre

never been a huge fan of QR but i do have a few Tate era albums. i've been listening to samples of the new albums on YT and i must say i like them a lot. they are not your every day hard rock band. still don't think they're progressive but there's an originality to this later stuff that appeals to me. favorites so far: Eye9, Guardian, Bulletproof, Redemption, A World Without.
    thoughts?
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    never been a huge fan of QR but i do have a few Tate era albums. i've been listening to samples of the new albums on YT and i must say i like them a lot. they are not your every day hard rock band. still don't think they're progressive but there's an originality to this later stuff that appeals to me. favorites so far: Eye9, Guardian, Bulletproof, Redemption, A World Without.
    thoughts?
    I am a big fan of the LaTorre era albums. "Condition Human" is my favorite, but all 3 are good, and they are light years better than the last Tate era album "Dedicated To Chaos" which was a terrible record IMO. I do think the most recent album "The Verdict" suffered a bit from the departure of Scott Rockenfield, but it is still a good album.

Not sure if you have seen the LaTorre version of the band live or not, but they are great. One of my final concerts before COVID hit was Queensryche and it was a fantastic show. LaTorre can hit all those high notes Tate used to do in his younger days, and they mix it up with newer tracks and classics.

^ Actually, it looks like Frequency Unknown was the last Tate era QR album. I'm no QR expert but that's what it says on progarchives. If it's wrong I can alert the team over there and let them know.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^ Actually, it looks like Frequency Unknown was the last Tate era QR album. I'm no QR expert but that's what it says on progarchives. If it's wrong I can alert the team over there and let them know.
    Frequency Unknown was the album Tate released after he had been kicked out of Queensryche. It was recorded under the Queensryche name, but was Tate with a bunch of hired guns including Rudy Sarzo and Simon Wright. The only previous member of Queensryche who was on the album was Kelley Grey. Thus, I don't really consider this one the final Tate era Queensryche album myself. Frequency Unknown (or F.U. at Tate called it) is actually a pretty good album and much better than Dedicated To Chaos IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Frequency Unknown was the album Tate released after he had been kicked out of Queensryche. It was recorded under the Queensryche name, but was Tate with a bunch of hired guns including Rudy Sarzo and Simon Wright. The only previous member of Queensryche who was on the album was Kelley Grey. Thus, I don't really consider this one the final Tate era Queensryche album myself. Frequency Unknown (or F.U. at Tate called it) is actually a pretty good album and much better than Dedicated To Chaos IMO.
    Oh ok. I borrowed DtC from the library once and agree it was pretty lackluster for the most part. I did like the song "all around the world" a bit but other than that it I more or less agree with consensus that it wasn't too good. I do have one called Y2K which is pretty lame too though. I think I only played it once so far.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Oh ok. I borrowed DtC from the library once and agree it was pretty lackluster for the most part. I did like the song "all around the world" a bit but other than that it I more or less agree with consensus that it wasn't too good. I do have one called Y2K which is pretty lame too though. I think I only played it once so far.
    Agree, "Y2K" was not very good either.

Until Todd joined QR, their last great album had been Empire. I know a lot of people dig Promised Land, but apart from a couple songs, I think it's really...uneven. Subsequent albums = worse. QR became a complete embarrassment thanks to Geoff's idiosyncrasies.[/quote]

Yes, F.U. is not a proper QR album. Also, Kelly Gray was Geoff's bandmate in his pre-QR band Myth, which is how he got the gig after DeGarmo left. The same goes for keyboardist Randy Gane.

Agree, "Y2K" was not very good either.
    I stand corrected it's actually called Q2K. I think you know which one I meant though.

I stand corrected it's actually called Q2K. I think you know which one I meant though.
    Just forget about anything between Empire and Queensr˙che (2013), willya?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Until Todd joined QR, their last great album had been Empire. I know a lot of people dig Promised Land, but apart from a couple songs, I think it's really...uneven. Subsequent albums = worse. QR became a complete embarrassment thanks to Geoff's idiosyncrasies.

Yes, F.U. is not a proper QR album. Also, Kelly Gray was Geoff's bandmate in his pre-QR band Myth, which is how he got the gig after DeGarmo left. The same goes for keyboardist Randy Gane.[/QUOTE]

I really like "Promised Land" and think it is a strong album. It was after that they really started to fall off IMO.

Actually you are correct. It is "Q2K". Not sure what I was thinking.

Just forget about anything between Empire and Queensr˙che (2013), willya?
    I think "Mindcrime II" Is ok. It is nothing close to the original, but better than anything else they did during that time period. I also like "American Soldier". Thought that one was pretty solid.

I think "Mindcrime II" Is ok. It is nothing close to the original, but better than anything else they did during that time period. I also like "American Soldier". Thought that one was pretty solid.
    It got to the point where I'd rather make time for what made me a QR fan (and ToddRyche). Too much music, too few hours!

It got to the point where I'd rather make time for what made me a QR fan (and ToddRyche). Too much music, too few hours!
    I definitely know that feeling.

to me, QR changed forever when Chris DeGarmo left in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    to me, QR changed forever when Chris DeGarmo left in 1997.
    They had somewhat changed even before that as the "Hear In The Now Frontier" album showed. Degarmo came back for the "Tribe" album, and that one was not very good either. That being said, IMO the LaTorre albums are a return to form and worth giving a chance.

The eons are closing
    IMO [emoji16]

Promised Land was the first where Tate was "forward". Personally - I enjoy this disc and it's the last Tate QR rated at least 7/10 on my personal scale

Prior to that, one could consider Tate "featured' - not the show but a highlight amongst the tastiness of the twin guitar and the solid but certainly not pedestrian rhythm section. These albums are more enjoyable.

Starting with HitNF - very diminishing returns very fast .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The dude is a pretty awesome drummer too! I like LaTorre Queensryche, but even better to me is his latest solo album Rejoice in the Suffering
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The dude is a pretty awesome drummer too! I like LaTorre Queensryche, but even better to me is his latest solo album Rejoice in the Suffering
    Agree he is a great drummer, but Eddie had a certain style that I think is missing from the most recent album.

Agree he is a great drummer, but Eddie had a certain style that I think is missing from the most recent album.
    You mean Scott Rock? What's the deal with him, anyway? Has he left the band without leaving the band?

You mean Scott Rock? What's the deal with him, anyway? Has he left the band without leaving the band?
    Oops.......yes I meant Scott. The whole thing is really strange. They have definitely had a falling out. Scott has posted some cryptic things on his facebook page about how "all will be revealed", but to my knowledge has never really come out with his version. Meanwhile the Queensryche camp has said that he basically walked away. Who knows the real story, but it is kind of sad.

I just recently went to see Queensryche opening for Judas Priest in Halifax.

Man, did they sound and appear wasted and worn out, not even a shadow of what I saw back in 1991 when QR were promoting Empire and played the whole Operation Mindcrime. It really was sad to see a great band fall so low, not matter how much Eddie Jackson and Michael Wilton would like to keep the flame going.

But yes, Todd LaTorre is a very good singer and drummer but does not deserve to waste his talent on a burned out band like Queensryche is now. Geoff Tate is whole different story but this thread is not about him and how he and his wife screwed QR for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I just recently went to see Queensryche opening for Judas Priest in Halifax.

Man, did they sound and appear wasted and worn out, not even a shadow of what I saw back in 1991 when QR were promoting Empire and played the whole Operation Mindcrime. It really was sad to see a great band fall so low, not matter how much Eddie Jackson and Michael Wilton would like to keep the flame going.

But yes, Todd LaTorre is a very good singer and drummer but does not deserve to waste his talent on a burned out band like Queensryche is now. Geoff Tate is whole different story but this thread is not about him and how he and his wife screwed QR for so many years.
    Wow, as I may have mentioned before, I saw them as headliners just before covid hit and thought they were fantastic. Full of energy with a nice production. Totally different experience from what you describe.

To be fair, what band is still putting it out the same way they did thirty-plus years earlier? They're not twentysomethings anymore. Todd's not yet fifty but he performs like someone many years younger.

To be fair, what band is still putting it out the same way they did thirty-plus years earlier? They're not twentysomethings anymore. Todd's not yet fifty but he performs like someone many years younger.
    From what I have read, other than smoking, the guy is a health nut. He keeps himself in good shape and does not drink.