Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camel: Snow Goose Live (October 28th, Barbican Hall, London)

Camel: Snow Goose Live (October 28th, Barbican Hall, London)

The return of CAMEL! Snow Goose Live!

I have posted this in the 'What's On' but thought it worthwhile to post here as well given the interest in Andrew Latimer's health and the future of Camel as a live outfit.

As I'm on the Barbican mailing list I seem to have had early notice of this:

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/eve...l.asp?ID=14826

Priorty booking for members now, main booking tomorrow at 10:00am.

This can be nothing but excellent news!

A friend who is also on the mailing list just sent me a linky. Bit of a surprise to say the least. Anyone got any more details?

Nothing on Camel Productions as yet.

From the Barbican page: "English prog-rockers Camel present a complete performance of their breakthrough concept album The Snow Goose for the first time since their 1975 concert at the Royal Albert Hall - followed by a selection of fan-favourites. The evening pays tribute to former band member Peter Bardens who died of cancer at the same time as frontman Andrew Latimer was battling a terminal illness. Ten years later, Latimer has regained health and is willing to celebrate a career that spans over four decades. This two-set show will also embrace compositions recorded throughout those years in a personal covenant of appreciation for a deeply rewarding life of music.

Andrew Latimer, the unwavering vanguard of the group, will be joined by long time band member, Colin Bass (bass vocals), with Denis Clement (drums), Guy LeBlanc (keyboards) plus keyboardist and special guest Jan Schelhaus."

Definitely sounds like an amazing night for those that can make it!

I'll be there!!!!!

Maybe I'm in minority here, but I prefer the music of Camel later period: Harbour of tears, Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink. Wll love to see a concert playing that music insted of revisiting the "old stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Maybe I'm in minority here, but I prefer the music of Camel later period: Harbour of tears, Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink. Wll love to see a concert playing that music insted of revisiting the "old stuff".
    Well they did that on the subsequent Harbour, Rajaz and Nod tours. Plus you have to remember that it is a concert at the Barbican which means quite a few seats to be filled and IIRC Snow Goose is their best selling album. Plus doing the Goose means less singing means probably less strain on Andy Latimer.

I am definetely going to try to be there although I hope more dates will be added preferably somewhere on mainland Europe.

WOW!!! Wish I could see that! A tribute to Peter Bardens... that's the only period I like from the band!! Cool.

Very nice!

Man I wish I had the cash to travel for this. I hope a dvd will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Well they did that on the subsequent Harbour, Rajaz and Nod tours. Plus you have to remember that it is a concert at the Barbican which means quite a few seats to be filled and IIRC Snow Goose is their best selling album. Plus doing the Goose means less singing means probably less strain on Andy Latimer.

I am definetely going to try to be there although I hope more dates will be added preferably somewhere on mainland Europe.
    Yes, I understand that, and I would love to attend that, maybe, once in a lifetime concert, but the thing is that there is no Live DVD of legacy of the music of their later period.

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    I hope a dvd will be made.
    I'd bet real money that this is a certainty.

The priority booking thing didn't occur to me after reading the blurb, so I've just spent a very frustrating 15 minutes trying to book a ticket and mentally insulting the Barbican people.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'd go if I were on that side of the Atlantic - even from the Netherlands, since there are cheap flights.

Fantastic! No way I could go, but man so great to hear that Andy will play live again!

John

Yep, going. Making a nice long weekend of it. Brilliant.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

Maybe I'm in minority here, but I prefer the music of Camel later period: Harbour of tears, Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink.
    This is actually my preference as well; however, as a re-introduction of the band this is a good marketing idea (and yeah...I imagine an instrumental set will be easier on Latimer at first).

Yes, I understand that, and I would love to attend that, maybe, once in a lifetime concert, but the thing is that there is no Live DVD of legacy of the music of their later period.
    Harbour Of Tears tour: http://www.camelproductions-store.co...gory_Code=dvds

Nod And A Wink tour: http://www.camelproductions-store.co..._Code=farewell

If there were to be a dvd,and I truly wish there would be,I would guess that David Minasian would be behind it as he has been for all the others.

Camel return to the stage

Just in...

Camel will return to the stage when they perform classic album The Snow Goose in full at the Barbican Arts Centre, London, on October 28.

Andrew Latimer will be joined by Colin Bass, Denis Clement, Guy LeBlanc and special guest Jan Schelhaas for the show, which marks the first time the band have played since their farewell tour.

Camel last performed their third album at the Royal Albert Hall in 1975, accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra.

A statement explains: “The evening pays tribute to former band member Peter Bardens, who died of cancer at the same time as frontman Latimer was battling a terminal illness.

“Ten years later, Latimer has regained health and is willing to celebrate a career that spans over four decades. This two-set show will also embrace compositions recorded throughout those years in a personal covenant of appreciation for a deeply rewarding life of music.”

A report on the band’s website previously revealed they were considering a tour in 2013, to be entitled Retirement Sucks. There’s also the possibility of a new album, which Latimer and Clement have been working on for some time.

Discussing the mainman’s health, the report explains: “He is very well and enjoys the great fortune of recovered good health. Of course, there are certain trade-offs, but they were well worth it. There really isn’t much more to say about that – it’s never wise to let any illness define a person. And so, that chapter in our lives is firmly closed. Well, for the most part.”

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/camel-return-to-stage/
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'd go if I were on that side of the Atlantic - even from the Netherlands, since there are cheap flights.
    Anoher problem for me would be the date, considering it will be my dads 85th birthday

So happy to hear that Andrew Latimer is back in good health! Should be an amazing night of music, and I'll definitely pick up a DVD (hopefully Bluray), if it happens.

neil