Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: King Buffalo - Dead Star

FEATURED ALBUM: King Buffalo - Dead Star

Any fans of the psych/stoner group King Buffalo from Rochester, NY? I learned of them from PE a few years back, and now I'm hooked. Dead Star is from 2020 and is as representative of their sound as I can think of.

Review from The Sludgelord blog:
    After rocketing to the top of New York's stoner rock pack over the last several years, Rochester's favorite sons return with their most ambitious album to date. The fine folks in King Buffalo set out to prove that they have not stagnated with success but blossomed into the psychedelic flower they were always meant to be. “Dead Star” takes us by the hand, showing us all these lads have learned on this journey of theirs so far.

A varied mix of sounds are presented here, creating a strong narrative within the album as tones and moods ebb and flow organically. King Buffalo are up a great level of maturity by stepping out of their comfort zone and incorporating new elements without ever forgetting what brought them to the party. The swampy acoustic dirge of the title track is of particular intrigue. Showing off a bit of levity without losing a bit of the band's inherent badassery, this southern tinged number is sure to delight.
    The real star of the show here is album opener “Red Star Parts I & II.” It's almost unfair to the rest of a wonderful album that such a masterpiece sits right at the helm. King Buffalo could have easily offered us “Red Star” with a few psychedelic sound collages and filler blues romps and called it a day, but to have such a fleshed out pack of tunes following this epic of modern stoner prog is simply a testament to the musical prowess of these masters of the genre.

Thick with very organic sounding synth atmospheres, “Red Star” is a monument to the band's progress. Powerful bass lines and tribal drums reign supreme as guitars conjure a sound that is as much the love child of David Gilmore and Adam Jones as it is wholly unique. The epic track progresses into a slamming doom rocker seamlessly, yet without ever losing its dreamscape feel, creating a living breathing organism that cements King Buffalo on their throne as the kings of east coast stoner rock.

King Buffalo prove with “Dead Star” that they are capable of amazing things. By reaching out into the musical stratosphere, this promising band have produced something incredible, and I don't see them slowing down any time soon. Long live the king.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Any fans of the psych/stoner group King Buffalo from Rochester, NY?
    I think you just helped them make a new fan!

I’ve had Elder, Boss Keloid, Melvins and Hawkwind in very heavy rotation lately. This’ll fit right in.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They're good, but I haven't really dived in. Found about them through All Them Witches, who toured with them.

Not a huge Stoner rock fan,it is OK.

I know if I listened with my wife around, she would toss me out of the house!

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I know if I listened with my wife around, she would toss me out of the house!
    There are whole swaths of my collection I cannot listen to when the wife is around. Rush, Maiden, Melvins--all immediate no gos. She reserves a special hatred for (as she terms it) "squeaky squawky" vocals, so no Gong, Henry Cow or VdGG.

Curiously enough, she seems to like Elder, so I guess she'll be going to see them with me in a few months.

Surprised to see this here! Lots of pretty cool stuff in the stoner rock genre and these guys are up there for me. Dead Star isn't a favorite. I have most of their albums and all of them are pretty good sticking with that song build up formula. Their last 2 albums are my favorite as they've kicked it up a notch...The Burden of Restlessness and Acheron. The latter they recorded in a cave
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Curiously enough, she seems to like Elder, so I guess she'll be going to see them with me in a few months.
    Did you ever get around to listening to DiSalvo's solo album Delving - Hirschbrunnen? Or what about Eldovar...the collaboration with Kadaver? I love 'em.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Did you ever get around to listening to DiSalvo's solo album Delving - Hirschbrunnen? Or what about Eldovar...the collaboration with Kadaver? I love 'em.
    Yep! Got them both. That Eldovar album is so good.

I got this off Bandcamp a month ago, along with Acheron. I'm really liking these guys.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Former PE member Yves has been touting them, I do like this stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Listening to Acheron on YT. Pretty good. Kinda heavy.

New viddy of new song from new album:

I was playing Dead Star this AM in my office/man cave. Halfway through my wife appeared in the doorway: What the hell is that shit you're playing now!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This is the desired reaction.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Former PE member Yves has been touting them, I do like this stuff.
    What happened to Yves?

Hasn't posted in a couple of years and then it was mainly in NHL and NFL threads. I'm in touch with him on FB.
    Ian