Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED CD: Marillion - Clutching At Straws

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I totally agree with this. I was floored by Trewavas's playing in Transatlantic, and I mean truly floored. I kept saying "who is that imposter using Trewavas's name in Marillion!" There's one part in "All of the Above" that gives me the goosebumps every time.
    To be honest, I never really thought of Trewavas as anything special on the bass until I saw him perform with Transatlantic. But that caused me to take notice of his work in Marilllion, and I found he was far better on their albums than I ever gave credit for. I guess I mostly listened to Marillion for the guitar, keys and vocals. Underneath it all though is a really good rhythm section, just not a flashy one. The epic, symphonic nature of most Transatlantic music meant more upfront and flashy type of bass playing, so it was easy to take notice of his parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    If I may offer a very different opinion, I think Trewavas is fantastic in Marillion, and I was thrilled to hear he was going to be a part of the "Portnoy supergroup". The main reason he was chosen for Transatlantic was how good he is in Marillion. I had long marvelled at what an inventive bass player he was. To be honest, I'm very surprised to hear people say otherwise. Oh well, to each their own!
    Agreed...sort of like Hackett. In Genesis he was more of a 'pastural' player & didn't do more than what was required in a restrictive sense but solo the man kills!

Trewavas with Transatlantic is a different beast to what he is with Marillion!