Thread: 64 Gig Cards

64 Gig Cards

I had one a few years ago but it wouldn't work with music files for some reason, only photos and what not. Looking at a couple on Amazon and they don't specifically say music files can be used on them but it talks about video games or some such.

I've got a 32 gig card in the phone which is a fat lot of good as many times the bloody phone won't connect to the car, which is why the new phone and this conundrum. I don't have enough room in a 32 gig card. Yeah, I'm a PE enthusiast and I like a lot of music and right now I can't fit it all onto the card.

So can I use a 64 gig card these days? It's been a few years since I had the one so maybe things have changed or maybe I was a doink and was trying to transfer files in the wrong format?

Crikey, I've got a stack of music to rip and burn to a card but the 32 is all used up so I have to delete stuff to fit in the new stuff. Don't really want to do that if I don't have to.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's not that 64GB can't be used for music, it's just that a lot of devices can't handle them for that purpose. My standalone audio players don't all deal with anything > 32GB, and I haven't tried my phone because it's such a pain to pry it apart to swap things out.

I found that out after buying a 6-pack of them for exactly that purpose. My car music system can't deal with them.
    I even tried repartitioning it as a 32GB with 32G of unused space, but that only fooled my car's player to start playing it, but after a short time it freezes up. I guess I have 6 64GB cards that I can use for moving files around or backing them up temporarily.

I have a Sony Walkman that handles the mini SD 64 gig fine...
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

The card does not care what is on it.
    If you can, I would try to format the 64gb card in the phone and then see how much space the phone says the card has.
    If it's 32gb, maybe time for a new phone.
    Then transfer the music over the USB connection to the phone. It should be able to connect to a pc as a storage device.
    Mounting a card formatted in windows and files copied in windows may result in corruption. Might.
    There are several types of formats ( NTFS, FAT32 , exFAT) exFAT is required for 64gb or higher on SD cards.
    If your phone supports the card size, it should also support exFAT, or the phone may format the card in ext3 or ext4 which are Android (linux ) file system formats.
    Confusing, yeah.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The card does not care what is on it.
    If you can, I would try to format the 64gb card in the phone and then see how much space the phone says the card has.
    If it's 32gb, maybe time for a new phone.
    Then transfer the music over the USB connection to the phone. It should be able to connect to a pc as a storage device.
    Mounting a card formatted in windows and files copied in windows may result in corruption. Might.
    There are several types of formats ( NTFS, FAT32 , exFAT) exFAT is required for 64gb or higher on SD cards.
    If your phone supports the card size, it should also support exFAT, or the phone may format the card in ext3 or ext4 which are Android (linux ) file system formats.
    Confusing, yeah.
    Yep. Bits is bits. You're also right about the format. Older devices and cheaper devices are only formatted in FAT32.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yep. Bits is bits. You're also right about the format. Older devices and cheaper devices are only formatted in FAT32.
    Storage is one thing but streaming or playing is very file and device dependent.

I have been using two 129 gig micro SD cards since 2015 and these will transfer DATA fast enough to the device IE ,phone or computer to play both WAV and MP3/4. Not sure what can be achieved with oldschool SD.

Most likely your device doesn't like the exFat partition, the default for 64GB and above cards. It can be fixed by reformatting it as Fat32. If you don't know how to do that, ask your geeky friend, your kid/grandkid, or the neighbor's kid.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Most likely your device doesn't like the exFat partition, the default for 64GB and above cards. It can be fixed by reformatting it as Fat32. If you don't know how to do that, ask your geeky friend, your kid/grandkid, or the neighbor's kid.
    I've tried this on a 64GB card and the device only read as a 32GB memory

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I've tried this on a 64GB card and the device only read as a 32GB memory
    Yes, some devices are size limited as well.

Doesn't matter. I can't get PE to work right, just posted a post and it's nowhere to be seen, got's a damned "phone" that won't even turn on and I'm so sick of technology frakking me, Directtv, Cox Cable and now Samsung, they all have literally frakked me. Why the hell can I get nothing to work properly?

What the hell is the tech curse upon my head? Why can't ANYTHING work right? Why can't I get a damned phone to turn on? What the hell is this my problem, and why me? What the hell did I do to endure this?

I'm drinking now to try and cool off. So very pissed off right now.

I'm confused and not going to get into this right now as I have other things to do and this is going to take a bit of research and stuff that I haven't done.

I haven't forgotten it but it will be a bit of a post and I need ducks in rows.

^^ Maybe this will help..............

I told ya I'd be back. Here's the scoop.

The 64 gig card is long gone so that's moot. I still wonder what I did or didn't do with that.

I have an extra 32 gig card. Had my buddy use his computer to rip all these cd's. He did it on auto rip and the first song on every cd ended up in a unknown folder because WMP hadn't got the cd info. Also, the card wasn't formatted right so that needs to be fixed. Problem is, I have his computer here but can't boot it as it takes a fingerprint. So, another moot point.

I'm currently dealing with a bed bug situation( you never think it will happen to you lol) and had to get rid of my bed. Lo and behold, underneath it was a 32 gig card that I totally forgot about. It's pretty full of mostly stuff that wasn't on the card I've been using.

So, all in all, I'm content right now but I still want to get the other cd's ripped properly and put on the third card I have. Been listening to a lot of Marillion. Someone gave me a bunch of them years ago but I haven't delved too much into them. Pretty good band, I'd say.

Now, having problems with the connection to the car. It's keeps getting lost when I'm out of the car for only a few seconds so I have to pull up V LC and force it to play. Weird, this just started happening a couple months ago. I'd never had much of a problem before. One of those things that make you say "Hmmmmm".

Been using the VLC player in the car but it seems to be malfunctioning. The phone can connect but the VLC can't. It just comes up with nothing when it was working fine a few seconds ago.

What are my best options for a player that works and doesn't have me have to reboot it every few minutes?

On my android I use Poweramp. Bluetooth or aux cable to the stereo. It will work with most audio formats without a hitch.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Been using the VLC player in the car but it seems to be malfunctioning. The phone can connect but the VLC can't. It just comes up with nothing when it was working fine a few seconds ago.

What are my best options for a player that works and doesn't have me have to reboot it every few minutes?
    If connecting the phone via Bluetooth, you may simply be trying to play an audio format incompatible with the car stereo. In which case the fact you're using VLC is neither here nor there.

Not gonna lie...when I saw this thread title, I thought that "gig cards" was a fancy, British way of saying "ticket stub"...haha!

Carry on...