Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW 8mm early Genesis footage posted, from the SEBTP black tour

NEW 8mm early Genesis footage posted, from the SEBTP black tour

Just came across this on my facebook feed. Apparently, it's newly restored and cleaned up 8mm footage from the black tour. Pretty long clips for 8MM, and a view of the rare Pharoah headpiece during Supper's Ready, and Steve Hackett standing at the end of SE, too.

Neil

Not to mention the rare Epping Forest, with PG's various antics and bits of costume. I recall seeing The Musical Box do that song and the singer had the nylon stocking, but I don't think he had the other hats and things. Gotta love that 'ultraviolence' at the end of the song! Very cool find.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Yes, that Battle of Epping Forest is really interesting, and the first time I have heard, let alone seen, any of it live. I must be honest, I wasn’t even aware they performed it on stage until seeing this.

It’s never too late to learn something new! Thanks for posting.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

This is wonderful; what a find! I love not only the Epping Forest but the final minutes of Supper's Ready are glorious. Thank you.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Neil!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

This was great. I too had never seen footage of '...Epping Forest' before. (That track was only played on this tour.)

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Pretty long clips for 8MM, and a view of the rare Pharoah headpiece during Supper's Ready, and Steve Hackett standing at the end of SE, too.

Neil
    I've been a fan since around 1977/78, collected them in most ways imaginable, including many books and videos. I don't think I've ever seen that. Didn't know it was a thing.

Thanks for posting.

This footage was traded on video back in the late '80s/early '90s but the quality was always very poor. The guys in the Musical Box had the cleanest version I'd ever seen (when they played in Raleigh back in '97 they had an afternoon presentation about source materials for their recreations and the Santa Monica footage was shown, along with the footage from Montreal '74 and a few other snippits). --Peter

Saw this tour at Eastern Michigan University, my first concert, and it set the bar for every concert afterwards.
    So magical, what a great memory of the era and the Gabriel Genesis.

Thank you so much for posting this. It's amazing how good the audio sounds too!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Remarkable and amazing indeed. Thanks for posting.

A great document of the achievement of these remarkable young musicians to perform this magical music live. Goosebump city.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    This footage was traded on video back in the late '80s/early '90s but the quality was always very poor. The guys in the Musical Box had the cleanest version I'd ever seen (when they played in Raleigh back in '97 they had an afternoon presentation about source materials for their recreations and the Santa Monica footage was shown, along with the footage from Montreal '74 and a few other snippits). --Peter
    I remember that well..and I was always under the impression that TMB had all Gabriel era Genesis material.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Yeah, I've seen photos of the "Epping Forest" costumes and Pharoah's headpiece, but this is the first time I've seen footage of either in action.

I will say, though, that Peter's singing was... variable on this tour, and I can see how the other band members might be thinking, "Mate, more attention on the vocal performance and less on which hat you need to be wearing, please."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post

I will say, though, that Peter's singing was... variable on this tour,
    Yeah, that jumped out at me too.

That’s so good to see, and it’s clearly been a huge reference source for The Musical Box. I wonder if the whole show was filmed or it really was just these snippets? I must watch again because I didn’t notice any Pharaoh’s headpiece during Suppers Ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Not to mention the rare Epping Forest, with PG's various antics and bits of costume. I recall seeing The Musical Box do that song and the singer had the nylon stocking, but I don't think he had the other hats and things. Gotta love that 'ultraviolence' at the end of the song! Very cool find.
    Very interesting if TMB had that footage and they decided not to use all the props for Epping Forest. I've seen them 20+ times and he always had the nylon stocking for that song.

A month after this concert they played in Buffalo, and a young and at the time unknown drummer was in the audience. This drummer was blown away by the band, and especially the drumming. I can see why even in this dodgy video, great drumming by Phil. I can only imagine how good it was seeing in person.

Oh, that drummer? Neil Peart.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tra...0400rhythm.htm

“In the summer of '74, just before I joined Rush, I attended one of the shows on that tour (at the Century Theater, Buffalo, New York), and it was simply a galvanising performance, by him and all of that excellent band. The music from that night's show echoed in my head long after, while Phil's vocal performance on 'More Fool Me', was a harbinger of a whole other career to come.”

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Just came across this on my facebook feed. Apparently, it's newly restored and cleaned up 8mm footage from the black tour. .
    Thx, I won't have to go to the ophtalmo to see if I'm not developping a serious case of cataract.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This was great. I too had never seen footage of '...Epping Forest' before. (That track was only played on this tour.)
    yup, first time I saw this film footage of Epping

Yeah, I've seen photos of the "Epping Forest" costumes and Pharoah's headpiece, but this is the first time I've seen footage of either in action.
    Difficult to see it it's indeed a pharoah hat... So blurry that it could be a bishop's hat worn at the vatican as well.
    Don't remember seeing TMB using that headwear, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I must watch again because I didn’t notice any Pharaoh’s headpiece during Suppers Ready!
    Very blurry four or five seconds and it's whitish and makes Peter well over 6' tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Very interesting if TMB had that footage and they decided not to use all the props for Epping Forest. I've seen them 20+ times and he always had the nylon stocking for that song.
    Don't remember TMB using the hi-form hat, though and certainly their singer wasn't hoisted in the air and flown around. I guess that Louis Dosch missed that flying around bit, but thanks to him, we see stuff that wouldn't never have been caught on film elsewhere.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Difficult to see it it's indeed a pharoah hat... So blurry that it could be a bishop's hat worn at the vatican as well.
    Don't remember seeing TMB using that headwear, though.
    That's because you never read X-Men #53/54. Those of us in "the know," know.

I will say, though, that Peter's singing was... variable on this tour, and I can see how the other band members might be thinking, "Mate, more attention on the vocal performance and less on which hat you need to be wearing, please."
    I think vocally he improved with time, on a technical level.

The YouTube page says the audio is not necessarily from the same Santa Monica show as the footage (they did two nights), but the sound is quite clear.

I was hoping this would be another example of Gabriel 'flying' on 'Supper's Ready'. I think I've only seen the one clip with that happening.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Let me assure you -- I am very much alive! For I am a direct descendant of the immortal ones! Pharaohs have 10,000 lives! But you have only one -- and it is about to end

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

At an early Genesis show in '73 I guess it was at the University of Rochester I was sitting at the foot of the riser in the gym when I was temporarily blinded by a flashpot during the show. It was pretty unnerving when I couldn't see for maybe 40 seconds or so when it went off right in front of me, it was nice to see it go off in the video, now I know whatever hallucinogenics I was on (most likely just weed) didn't make me imagine it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I was joking around, because the Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men movement subtitle has the Pharoah hat implied.

But I thought that the "hat/crown" was obligatorily red and white (the "outer ring" being red and representing Lower Egypt and the "white centre" representing Upper Egypt (Nubia). Yeah, I know: artistic licence. The quality of the image is not strong enough to discern the shape and color of the "thing" on his head.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was hoping this would be another example of Gabriel 'flying' on 'Supper's Ready'. I think I've only seen the one clip with that happening.
    I thought the flying around was in Epping Forest from a (B&W) picture in a book whose legend indicated so. The Gabe was dressed in white/silver suit, which would seem to eliminate Supper (where he's in black).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This brings back so many memories from April 1974 when I saw Genesis twice at the University of Montreal Sports center, they were incredible and so original. These excerpts work very well and gives a good idea to those who did not witness that grandeur.

When they played the Forum that same year in December, "Watcher of the Skies" was the encore instead of the opener but just as impressive, thanks for posting this GEM.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Are we talking about this thingy?