Thread: RIP Ric Parnell - Drummer

RIP Ric Parnell - Drummer

RIP - He made it to 70. Wouldn't it be ironic if he spontaneously combusted?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ric_Parnell
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I will always remember his work with Ibis (new Trolls) and Nova. RIP.

Eighth grade gym class, one day, I was sitting on one of those gym mats, I dunno, probably waiting my turn to do whatever we were doing in class that day. Being bored and goofy, I started playing the intro to this song on the mat I was sitting on. My gym teacher wasn't amused.

And again on YT:
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Just yesterday spun Made in England AR. RIP.

He maintained a decent presence on social media, Facebook specifically, and he was always very cool to me. May he rest in rhythm.

IIRC there was an interview with the Spinal Tap actors where they said they immediately hired Parnell for the drummer role after he told them he had been in a band called "Atomic Rooster". The reasoning was that anybody who had been in a band called Atomic Rooster, for real, would be perfect for ST!

RIP

EDIT: The interview I was referring to was actually an interview of Ric, quoted on Ric's Wiki page: "They then asked me what other bands I'd been in, and I said, 'Well, I was in a band called Atomic Rooster.' They looked at each other and said, 'Yep, that's it, you're our man.' "

His playing on Ibis' highly listenable Sun Supreme is actually very, very good and perfectly fitting, although that drum solo on side two is - er - odd. Although less so than the one on side two of The Trip's Atlantide. But if there'd been an Italian-language version of Sun Supreme, it would sort among the "classics" of harder-leaning progressive rock records from down there. Side one is pretty damn exciting all way through.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    EDIT: The interview I was referring to was actually an interview of Ric, quoted on Ric's Wiki page: "They then asked me what other bands I'd been in, and I said, 'Well, I was in a band called Atomic Rooster.' They looked at each other and said, 'Yep, that's it, you're our man.' "
    Must've been some ornithological bias in the casting, as they hired the drummer from Atomic Rooster and Ibis, and the keyboardist from Rare Bird.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

RIP

I knew he'd been in Italy after Rooster (actually, Made In England is a great album, N&G not really), but was never aware of the Spinal Tap drumming gig.

Acvording to Wiki, he had musical links to Jeff Beck and Ravi Shankar as well... Can anyone expand, please?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Acvording to Wiki, he had musical links to Jeff Beck and Ravi Shankar as well... Can anyone expand, please?
    He's on Ravi Shankar's experimental crossover project Tana Mana, released by Peter Baumann's Private Music label.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx