Thread: FIELDS – Feeling Free: The Complete Recordings 1971-73

FIELDS – Feeling Free: The Complete Recordings 1971-73

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/fiel...ic-cherry-red/

This is a nice little review of the new Fields 2-CD compilation from Esoteric. As with other recent sets, this is a great and fairly inexpensive way of gathering together somewhat forgotten material by a band not everyone will be hugely familiar with. By now, I must sound like I'm on Esoteric's payroll but I assure you I'm just a fan! I'm grabbing this one for sure (as well as the Hemlock self-titled reissue).

There's no purchase link included, but for anyone interested...

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...1971-1973-2cd/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I’ve really been enjoying this set. It’s not earth-shattering music, but it is consistently good.

Nice review and thanks for posting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'll have to listen to these. I've been listening to some of the more obscure British prog that I might have missed, lately, and this fits right in. I've been getting ideas from a big "British Prog" playlist someone made on Spotify, but I was thinking of starting a British Prog Binge 2022 thread, but that might be too broad.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/fiel...ic-cherry-red/

This is a nice little review of the new Fields 2-CD compilation from Esoteric. As with other recent sets, this is a great and fairly inexpensive way of gathering together somewhat forgotten material by a band not everyone will be hugely familiar with. By now, I must sound like I'm on Esoteric's payroll but I assure you I'm just a fan! I'm grabbing this one for sure (as well as the Hemlock self-titled reissue).

There's no purchase link included, but for anyone interested...

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...1971-1973-2cd/
    Just listened to both albums this week. The 2nd album was new to me. Very good too. Some great Hammond and drumming. Esoteric are again doing the goods with these releases

Thanks for the heads-up. I love the original Fields album but didn't know about the shelved 2nd album much less this compilation. Must-buy for me!

The only reason for me to buy this would be the bonus tracks. For those who have this, are those bonus tracks essential?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The only reason for me to buy this would be the bonus tracks. For those who have this, are those bonus tracks essential?
    Moe, the whole release is on Spotify! I just found out. Schweeet!!

I am only familiar with the original Fields album but can say it is a gem. It should have been much more successful than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Moe, the whole release is on Spotify! I just found out. Schweeet!!
    I don't do Spotify, Jed. I think it's preloaded on my computer, but I rarely listen to anything on the PC.

I don't do Spotify, Jed. I think it's preloaded on my computer, but I rarely listen to anything on the PC.
    Well, if I were you, in this case I'd USE Spotify to listen to those three bonus tracks and NOT buy the reissue. They don't seem worth paying for. But if you don't want to listen to them on Spotify for ethical reasons, the choice is yours.

^ It isn't ethics. Don't you have to subscribe to use the service?

I tried these guys again via YT and the organ and drums sound great, they just haven't quite the songs.....for me, anyway.

I wish I were not a completist. Now I've got to buy this thing for the bonus tracks. Why don't they ever release a CD of just bonus tracks, then I wouldn't have to buy an album for the third of fourth time just to get a bonus track or two, which are often pretty stinky anyway. There was a website I remember visiting a while back that made just bonus tracks available. They had all the Spirit bonus tracks from all the CD reissues compiled into one download.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^ It isn't ethics. Don't you have to subscribe to use the service?
    There's a free "mode," with ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I wish I were not a completist. Now I've got to buy this thing for the bonus tracks. Why don't they ever release a CD of just bonus tracks, then I wouldn't have to buy an album for the third of fourth time just to get a bonus track or two, which are often pretty stinky anyway. There was a website I remember visiting a while back that made just bonus tracks available. They had all the Spirit bonus tracks from all the CD reissues compiled into one download.
    I haven't listened to these bonus tracks, but you get two alternate versions - usually nothing terribly exciting - and some live BBC tracks - possibly worth listening to, but how many times?

The bonus tracks are quite nice. The alternate versions are quite different, and the BBC tracks are outstanding, including one non-album track that isn't available elsewhere. The bonus tracks with the second album are good too. I never heard any of that album, so the whole collection is pretty exciting for me.

If you don't need the physical CD, you can buy this collection from Amazon US for less than $10.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There's a free "mode," with ads.
    Didn't know that. Thanks, Jed.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    The bonus tracks are quite nice. The alternate versions are quite different, and the BBC tracks are outstanding, including one non-album track that isn't available elsewhere. The bonus tracks with the second album are good too. I never heard any of that album, so the whole collection is pretty exciting for me.

If you don't need the physical CD, you can buy this collection from Amazon US for less than $10.
    I'm sold. Will get this set pretty soon.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post

I'm sold. Will get this set pretty soon.
    I actually didn't realize the second disk HAD bonus tracks, because the Cherry Red site doesn't include any details on them like they do with the ones on the first disk, so they're easy to miss. So, roylayer is better informed than I am on this. Carry on Completing...!

Banned

Never heard this band and I'll likely pick up the set but the cover makes me so sad! Poor bunny. I know it's nature's way but still.

The live bonus track “Wouldn’t You Agree” is a great song with nice guitar work and is a totally unreleased song in any manner.

I didn't know there was a second Fields LP.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I didn't know there was a second Fields LP.
    It was never released on LP, but it was recorded in 1972, then released 43 years later on Cd.