Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: FIELDS – Feeling Free: The Complete Recordings 1971-73

  1. #1
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,574

    FIELDS – Feeling Free: The Complete Recordings 1971-73

    https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/fiel...ic-cherry-red/

    This is a nice little review of the new Fields 2-CD compilation from Esoteric. As with other recent sets, this is a great and fairly inexpensive way of gathering together somewhat forgotten material by a band not everyone will be hugely familiar with. By now, I must sound like I'm on Esoteric's payroll but I assure you I'm just a fan! I'm grabbing this one for sure (as well as the Hemlock self-titled reissue).

    There's no purchase link included, but for anyone interested...

    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...1971-1973-2cd/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

    'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

  2. #2
    I’ve really been enjoying this set. It’s not earth-shattering music, but it is consistently good.

    Nice review and thanks for posting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  3. #3
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater New York Area
    Posts
    13,986
    I'll have to listen to these. I've been listening to some of the more obscure British prog that I might have missed, lately, and this fits right in. I've been getting ideas from a big "British Prog" playlist someone made on Spotify, but I was thinking of starting a British Prog Binge 2022 thread, but that might be too broad.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  4. #4
    Member Bytor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/fiel...ic-cherry-red/

    This is a nice little review of the new Fields 2-CD compilation from Esoteric. As with other recent sets, this is a great and fairly inexpensive way of gathering together somewhat forgotten material by a band not everyone will be hugely familiar with. By now, I must sound like I'm on Esoteric's payroll but I assure you I'm just a fan! I'm grabbing this one for sure (as well as the Hemlock self-titled reissue).

    There's no purchase link included, but for anyone interested...

    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...1971-1973-2cd/
    Just listened to both albums this week. The 2nd album was new to me. Very good too. Some great Hammond and drumming. Esoteric are again doing the goods with these releases

  5. #5
    Thanks for the heads-up. I love the original Fields album but didn't know about the shelved 2nd album much less this compilation. Must-buy for me!

  6. #6
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,616
    The only reason for me to buy this would be the bonus tracks. For those who have this, are those bonus tracks essential?

  7. #7
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater New York Area
    Posts
    13,986
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The only reason for me to buy this would be the bonus tracks. For those who have this, are those bonus tracks essential?
    Moe, the whole release is on Spotify! I just found out. Schweeet!!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,892
    I am only familiar with the original Fields album but can say it is a gem. It should have been much more successful than it was.

  9. #9
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,616
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Moe, the whole release is on Spotify! I just found out. Schweeet!!
    I don't do Spotify, Jed. I think it's preloaded on my computer, but I rarely listen to anything on the PC.

  10. #10
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater New York Area
    Posts
    13,986
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't do Spotify, Jed. I think it's preloaded on my computer, but I rarely listen to anything on the PC.
    Well, if I were you, in this case I'd USE Spotify to listen to those three bonus tracks and NOT buy the reissue. They don't seem worth paying for. But if you don't want to listen to them on Spotify for ethical reasons, the choice is yours.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  11. #11
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,616
    ^ It isn't ethics. Don't you have to subscribe to use the service?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Isle of Bute
    Posts
    342
    I tried these guys again via YT and the organ and drums sound great, they just haven't quite the songs.....for me, anyway.

  13. #13
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,595
    I wish I were not a completist. Now I've got to buy this thing for the bonus tracks. Why don't they ever release a CD of just bonus tracks, then I wouldn't have to buy an album for the third of fourth time just to get a bonus track or two, which are often pretty stinky anyway. There was a website I remember visiting a while back that made just bonus tracks available. They had all the Spirit bonus tracks from all the CD reissues compiled into one download.
    Lou

    Mr. Bruno's wardrobe furnished by Botany 500.

  14. #14
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater New York Area
    Posts
    13,986
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It isn't ethics. Don't you have to subscribe to use the service?
    There's a free "mode," with ads.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  15. #15
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater New York Area
    Posts
    13,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I wish I were not a completist. Now I've got to buy this thing for the bonus tracks. Why don't they ever release a CD of just bonus tracks, then I wouldn't have to buy an album for the third of fourth time just to get a bonus track or two, which are often pretty stinky anyway. There was a website I remember visiting a while back that made just bonus tracks available. They had all the Spirit bonus tracks from all the CD reissues compiled into one download.
    I haven't listened to these bonus tracks, but you get two alternate versions - usually nothing terribly exciting - and some live BBC tracks - possibly worth listening to, but how many times?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I wish I were not a completist. Now I've got to buy this thing for the bonus tracks. Why don't they ever release a CD of just bonus tracks, then I wouldn't have to buy an album for the third of fourth time just to get a bonus track or two, which are often pretty stinky anyway. There was a website I remember visiting a while back that made just bonus tracks available. They had all the Spirit bonus tracks from all the CD reissues compiled into one download.
    The bonus tracks are quite nice. The alternate versions are quite different, and the BBC tracks are outstanding, including one non-album track that isn't available elsewhere. The bonus tracks with the second album are good too. I never heard any of that album, so the whole collection is pretty exciting for me.

    If you don't need the physical CD, you can buy this collection from Amazon US for less than $10.

  17. #17
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,616
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There's a free "mode," with ads.
    Didn't know that. Thanks, Jed.

  18. #18
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,595
    Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    The bonus tracks are quite nice. The alternate versions are quite different, and the BBC tracks are outstanding, including one non-album track that isn't available elsewhere. The bonus tracks with the second album are good too. I never heard any of that album, so the whole collection is pretty exciting for me.

    If you don't need the physical CD, you can buy this collection from Amazon US for less than $10.
    I'm sold. Will get this set pretty soon.
    Lou

    Mr. Bruno's wardrobe furnished by Botany 500.

  19. #19
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater New York Area
    Posts
    13,986
    Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    The bonus tracks are quite nice. The alternate versions are quite different, and the BBC tracks are outstanding, including one non-album track that isn't available elsewhere. The bonus tracks with the second album are good too. I never heard any of that album, so the whole collection is pretty exciting for me.

    If you don't need the physical CD, you can buy this collection from Amazon US for less than $10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'm sold. Will get this set pretty soon.
    I actually didn't realize the second disk HAD bonus tracks, because the Cherry Red site doesn't include any details on them like they do with the ones on the first disk, so they're easy to miss. So, roylayer is better informed than I am on this. Carry on Completing...!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  20. #20
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    6,797
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    402
    Never heard this band and I'll likely pick up the set but the cover makes me so sad! Poor bunny. I know it's nature's way but still.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The only reason for me to buy this would be the bonus tracks. For those who have this, are those bonus tracks essential?
    The live bonus track “Wouldn’t You Agree” is a great song with nice guitar work and is a totally unreleased song in any manner.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,837
    I didn't know there was a second Fields LP.
    The Prog Corner

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I didn't know there was a second Fields LP.
    It was never released on LP, but it was recorded in 1972, then released 43 years later on Cd.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •