Thread: AAJ Review: Stephan Micus, Panagia

AAJ Review: Stephan Micus, Panagia

My review of multi-instrumentalist Stephan Micus'Panagia, today at All About Jazz.

Once again, Micus draws upon instruments if antiquity and from other cultures to create, layer upon layer, songs of deepening quietude; meditative music that suggests there is an alternative to (or, at least, a respite from) the daily hustle and bustle of life. Songs with as many as 22 layered voices give his work an orchestral quality, despite it all being the work of one man, living on the island of Majorca.

Review here.

I bought this album the day it came out. This makes 21 albums I have by Micus, all the ECM albums plus "Behind Eleven Deserts", which is on.... some other label. I used to hate his vocals, but they have improved over the years. This is not one of my favorites, but still good.

My favourite albums by Stephan are Athos and Desert Poems - both are constant sources of calm and beauty. This latest doesn't reach those heights for me yet, but I have found it's necessary to live with his stuff for a while before it really opens out (or should that be "opens in"?)

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?