Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Klaus Schulze Appreciation Thread

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Oh, dayum. You are likely the FIRST person I know (on various message boards) who gets that! There's usually this air of hallowedness around these icons that prevents people from expressing how they really feel.
    Even KDM described this period in such a way that you can tell that he wasn't really a fan of that era:
    • Beyond Recall:
      "Sampling starts..."
    • Royal Festival Hall Vol. 1:
      "Sampling goes on...
    • Royal Festival Hall Vol. 2:
      ..and on
    • The Dome Event:
      "A concert that is more enjoyable to listen at home. It marks the peak of KS' sampling era.

Oh, dayum. You are likely the FIRST person I know (on various message boards) who gets that! There's usually this air of hallowedness around these icons that prevents people from expressing how they really feel.
    Sacred cow makes amazing hamburgers

My very first KS album was Royal Festival Hall Vol. 1. And this was long before SPV reissue campaigns so for many years that WAS the KS sound (for me). And at the time, I liked it...it was different than anything I'd heard before and kind of a cool alternate to the more poppy format TD had adopted by that point. But when I finally heard Mirage on vinyl and got to exploring elsewhere....yeah...I almost never listen to those early 90's sample-fests anymore.

There are plenty of legacy bands where I like the newer stuff more than others, but KS isn't one of them Once he moved away from samplers to synths again (digital or otherwise), his music became infinitely more enjoyable once again.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Even KDM described this period in such a way that you can tell that he wasn't really a fan of that era:
    • Beyond Recall:
      "Sampling starts..."
    • Royal Festival Hall Vol. 1:
      "Sampling goes on...
    • Royal Festival Hall Vol. 2:
      ..and on
    • The Dome Event:
      "A concert that is more enjoyable to listen at home. It marks the peak of KS' sampling era.
    The last time I put on Beyond Recall, I couldn't listen to all of it. The likelihood of my doing that again is slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Sacred cow makes amazing hamburgers

There are plenty of legacy bands where I like the newer stuff more than others, but KS isn't one of them Once he moved away from samplers to synths again (digital or otherwise), his music became infinitely more enjoyable once again.
    Yeah, about '05-forward, with Moonlake, Kontinuum, Shadowlands, and so on.

The last time I put on Beyond Recall, I couldn't listen to all of it. The likelihood of my doing that again is slim to none.
    I think kdm's personal nadir was Totentag, and I'm really not sure how strongly I'd argue against him on that one.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I think kdm's personal nadir was Totentag, and I'm really not sure how strongly I'd argue against him on that one.
    Another one I don't own (not by accident).

I own it. If memory serves, I did not pay a bargain price for it. I don't need to worry about my memory to know that I've never listened to the entire thing.

Thanks for your guidelines, both dropforge and battema. I appreciate it! Wow.. K.S has such a vast catalog of albums that it's crazy, but as a Tangerine Dream head I'm getting quite used to it

I ordered Audentity, Dig-It, Angst and that Inter*Face one today after a few listenings on Youtube. Must go checking out Dziekuje Poland Live asap. I have the feeling I have quite a few albums to catch up with. Christmas comes early this year it seems

I just learned that both Drive Inn volumes by Schulze/Bloss got the fresh remaster+reissue treatment by MIG.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2267...nn-Drive-Inn-2

P.S. Oh, crap! A reviewer on Amazon says a glitch in the master they used adds 23 seconds to "Truckin'"! Think of a vinyl skip. Whelp...proceed with caution.
    Last edited by dropforge; 05-05-2022 at 06:02 PM.

I just learned that both Drive Inn volumes by Schulze/Bloss got the fresh remaster+reissue treatment by MIG.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2267...nn-Drive-Inn-2
    Yeah, I actually grabbed my copy from Chez Wayside a week or two ago. Those were two I'd not actually picked up before!

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Thanks for your guidelines, both dropforge and battema. I appreciate it! Wow.. K.S has such a vast catalog of albums that it's crazy, but as a Tangerine Dream head I'm getting quite used to it

I ordered Audentity, Dig-It, Angst and that Inter*Face one today after a few listenings on Youtube. Must go checking out Dziekuje Poland Live asap. I have the feeling I have quite a few albums to catch up with. Christmas comes early this year it seems
    Very cool...the CD reissue of Dig It also includes a DVD of a very weird but kinda fun live KS concert featuring a very hyped up drummer (not Harald or Michael). Happy listening!

Very cool...the CD reissue of Dig It also includes a DVD of a very weird but kinda fun live KS concert featuring a very hyped up drummer (not Harald or Michael). Happy listening!
    How cool is that?!? I'm in for a real treat in other words

Fred Severloh! He was in the band Lorry. Klaus produced them and released their three albums on I.C.

Now.. That 51-minute version of Sense.. Nothing short of amazing and such a earworm!!

Yeah, I actually grabbed my copy from Chez Wayside a week or two ago. Those were two I'd not actually picked up before!
    Is the "Truckin'" glitch that bad? I mean...this set is very nicely priced!

I've listened to chunks of both D.I. over the years, and they do sound cool. I bought a used copy of the Klaus-less Drive Inn III but I ended up with a defective on-demand CDR. A real one is hard to find.

Did you ever see K.S in concert?

^^ Babel was one of the very last KS-related titles I purchased (along with the Drive Inn 1/2 release only just a few weeks ago!). Good, but I need to give it a closer listen.

The one I don't have, and am not sure I ever need to track down, is this one

Bruh, where's my clothespin!!!

There IS an upside to this. It's never been officially reissued on CD!

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Did you ever see K.S in concert?
    Not me. He stuck to Europe and played the two Tokyo dates for Big in Japan.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I don't hate those early digital samples when used well -- Wuivend Riet being my gold star example of best use -- but sadly TD and KS tended to go on autopilot. KS in particular with those "YOOO!" type samples and things...it's terribly dated to my ears now, and not in the good kind of way.
    Yes...I'm working my way through the La Vie Electronique series since his passing, and when it gets to that era, there are several examples of this over reliance and pretty odd and terribly dated sounds. The voice samples are certainly the worst. And as you (or someone) said, its quite a shame as the music going on is still usually appealing (at least in this case...there is alot of studio Schulze I haven't ventured towards).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Banned
    In the mid-1970s, Günter Schickert worked for Klaus as a roadie and accompanied him to concerts in then West Germany and other European countries. Occasionally (rarely) he also appeared as a guest guitarist. If you look closely at the picture on the back of the cover of Moondawn, you can just make out Günter and his guitar to the left of Klaus, a bit in the background in the shadows.

With excellent sound quality, "The Schulze-Schickert Session" offers typical, quite high-quality Klaus' material from the mid-70s, which should more than satisfy fans of the cosmic bubbling 70s electronics from the Berlin school. Günter's guitar gives the whole thing a certain atmosphere of its own and sometimes ensures that the music gains momentum and variety.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardGioaf. View Post
    In the mid-1970s, Günter Schickert worked for Klaus as a roadie and accompanied him to concerts in then West Germany and other European countries. Occasionally (rarely) he also appeared as a guest guitarist. If you look closely at the picture on the back of the cover of Moondawn, you can just make out Günter and his guitar to the left of Klaus, a bit in the background in the shadows.
    I've always wondered about who that was on that picture , so thanks for quenching my curiosity some 40 years after

currently listening to the S&S session.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardGioaf. View Post
    Since I only own the download, I've never seen the back cover before.

[QUOTE=dropforge;1120124]Fred Severloh! He was in the band Lorry. Klaus produced them and released their three albums on I.C.

I think it was Tommy Betzler. He was in P'Cock and they also did an album (or two?) for IC...

Quote Originally Posted by RuudE View Post
    I think it was Tommy Betzler. He was in P'Cock and they also did an album (or two?) for IC...
    I think you're right! D'oh!

Is that Shulze/Schickert Session release still available anywhere apart from a super-expensive vinyl? A legit download that can be bought in the US would be fine.