Thread: Suede- Bloodsports

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

Suede- Bloodsports

I used to adore Suede and think they could do virtually no wrong around the time of Dog Man Star and Coming Up, (plus all those awesome b-sides on Sci-Fi Lullabies) but I wasn't going to bother with the new one since IMHO they crashed pretty hard after that and even Brett Anderson's reunion with Bernard Butler in The Tears was a little tepid for me. However, Bloodsports has been getting such good reviews that I had to go for it, if only for old times sake.

It's actually a pretty strong album that harkens back to DMS and CU, though at 39 minutes it lacks the former album's decadent sprawl, but it's got that spiky glam rock and soaring melodrama that made me like the band in the first place and it gives me something else to spin back to back to back with Bowie's The Next Day and Johnny Marr's The Messenger.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I've only heard one song by Suede, 'She's in Fashion', and I've heard that one a lot and really like it. Don't know which album its on, but if that's representative of how they sound, I need to check them out more.

The early Suede material is some of the best rock of the period IMHO. I like the sort of gothic melodrama they had. But the later stuff I heard was definitely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I've only heard one song by Suede, 'She's in Fashion', and I've heard that one a lot and really like it. Don't know which album its on, but if that's representative of how they sound, I need to check them out more.
    Their earlier work is darker and murkier sounding with shades of The Smiths and Huky Dory era Bowie. The song you mentioned is on Head Music. IMHO their best work was their first two albums with Bernard Butler on guitar and Coming Up, where Butler was replaced by Richard Oakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The early Suede material is some of the best rock of the period IMHO. I like the sort of gothic melodrama they had. But the later stuff I heard was definitely lacking.
    I agree, which is why this new album is such a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Their earlier work is darker and murkier sounding with shades of The Smiths and Huky Dory era Bowie. The song you mentioned is on Head Music. IMHO their best work was their first two albums with Bernard Butler on guitar and Coming Up, where Butler was replaced by Richard Oakes.
    Cool. 'She's in Fashion' is on the playlist where I work, and I liked enough to google it to find out who it was. (other stuff they play includes XTC, The Smiths, Fleet Foxes, Apples In Stereo, Yes, Tennis, The Lighthouse and the Whaler, Local Natives, Andrew Bird, Smith Westerns, etc... - makes work a little more bearable)

Here's the single, "It Starts and Ends With You": https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...44158598,d.eWU

Catchy as all heck.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters