Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steeleye Span 12 disc box set. Release Date 5/13/22

Steeleye Span 12 disc box set. Release Date 5/13/22

https://steeleyespanfan.co.uk/the-mu...of-old-england

The above link is pretty through as to was has been released and what hasn’t.

I’m seeing price ranges from $55 to $60. For the box.

A good deal if you don’t have much Span.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I've never listened to much Span but I have a good friend who swears by their first album and I've liked the bits I've heard. Quite a deal at $60. A likely purchase for me; thanks for the tip.

At that price, autobuy. I haven't got any of this good stuff on CD. (Bunches of it on vinyl and casstte, though...)

I notice that on Amazon the price for the MP3 version is higher than the physical version. Weeeeeird.
    I've seen all cruel people bashing heads each day so sadistic I'm on my way.

Went with Deep Discounts. Got their 10% off coupon (DEEP10) and with shipping + sales Tax....it came to $54.65
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Didn't think I would need this, but an expanded version of Live at Last? With "Cam Ye O'er Frae France"? Hot damn!!!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - CD available now, vinyl coming soon.
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I only have Storm Force Ten from that era, but I like it a lot, so I may actually go for this one.

Storm Force Ten is probably the weakest studio album of the era. Seriously. When you get to albums like Below the Satl, Rocked Cottage, and Sails of Silver, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Storm Force Ten is probably the weakest studio album of the era. Seriously. When you get to albums like Below the Satl, Rocked Cottage, and Sails of Silver, you'll see.
    Very, very strongly disagree! That was the album that marked the return of Martin Carthy, and that gave us the shiver-inducing harmonies of “Awake, Awake” and “Sweep, Chimney Sweep,” the proggy epic “The Victory,” and Maddy’s cool Brecht interpretations. Absolutely killer album in my view. Possibly their best since Parcel of Rogues.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - CD available now, vinyl coming soon.
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Oh yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Very, very strongly disagree! That was the album that marked the return of Martin Carthy, and that gave us the shiver-inducing harmonies of “Awake, Awake” and “Sweep, Chimney Sweep,” the proggy epic “The Victory,” and Maddy’s cool Brecht interpretations. Absolutely killer album in my view. Possibly their best since Parcel of Rogues.
    sssssshhhhh -- I'm trying to convince him to buy the box....

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That was the only album I believe without a violinist. I wasn’t crazy over the accordion but there was some great songs on the album. Kind of a different sounding steel eye span album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The later 70s/early 80s albums were spotty. A far cry from the Heyday imo, but all well worth having. It's truly a case of "If you like the band, you need them all." situation..

This is definitely the way to go for anyone looking to add the Spans to their collection. Classic stuff here! Now, how about a new Fairport box?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Incidentally, the albums before they joined Charisma are also available in a box set called "All Things Are Quite Silent." Cherry Red has it for £17.99, Amazon has it too.

Excellent stuff! My favourite folk rock band.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Went with Deep Discounts. Got their 10% off coupon (DEEP10) and with shipping + sales Tax....it came to $54.65
    Thanks for the coupon code, it worked but stopped short of ordering from them.

Recently Deep Discount seems to charge me shipping for purchases, even if they are well over $25 required for free shipping. What gives? There is a star next to the line about free shipping but no explanation to be found. Are they charging shipping to some states now, no matter what is the amount? If so, NY state must one of them or is it the only "lucky" state. Has anyone else noticed this?
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Thanks for the coupon code, it worked but stopped short of ordering from them.

Recently Deep Discount seems to charge me shipping for purchases, even if they are well over $25 required for free shipping. What gives? There is a star next to the line about free shipping but no explanation to be found. Are they charging shipping to some states now, no matter what is the amount? If so, NY state must one of them or is it the only "lucky" state. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Found the answer. Seems it is a surcharge for "heavy" items, which I guess this box is. A bit disappointing but then do not have to move out of state
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Just been to the Park Records & Official Steeleye Span Websites and see no mention of this Boxset. I'm wondering if the band is going to see No funds from this release?

The Official Website is a bit wonky for information. (probably not updated due to covid) Unsure "who" will be in the band on the UK tour starting May 3rd. Two fiddle players listed....I do know there was a touring violinist filling in for Jessie while on maternity leave. I'm not on FB so maybe there is more information there.....anyone on FB wanna see & post here?

Yup the free shipping doesn't apply to (heavy) box sets.....For me, it was still the cheapest.....the 10% off offsets the WA state sales tax of 10%

Huzzah! My beloved spousal overunit has ordered both sets for me for father's day/our anniversary/my birthday. Since I have never upgraded any of my Steeleye (of which I never did have enough; I mostly listened to it at a friend's house) to CD, this is huge.

^ Great! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Incidentally, the albums before they joined Charisma are also available in a box set called "All Things Are Quite Silent." Cherry Red has it for £17.99, Amazon has it too.
    The identical material (minus three alternate takes of Buddy Holly's "Rave On") is also available as a double CD "The Lark In The Morning: The Early Years", which you might find cheaper than the 3-CD boxed set equivalent.

Enjoy!

You mean Chrysalis? Probably auto-correct.....

No, I mean Cherry Red.