Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rest in peace, Klaus Schulze

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Oof. Very sad news, although given his health conditions of late (although apparently since 05 (!)), I suppose it can't be considered shocking.

X, Mirage, and the first 6 Le Vie Electronique are mainstays for me, but those first twelve records or so are all brilliant in one way or another.

RIP to one of the few true masters of his art.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I’m simply crushed. A massive influence. A sonic voyager with taste and a sense of context.

Currently in Irish wake mode, with Bulleit Rye and Irrlicht. Timewind to follow, then Silhouettes to provide a sense of his career arc. Maybe the Lorelei DVD with Lisa Gerrard tonight?

So sad.
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

I remember I was in a record store somewhere in the old Sacramento Downtown mall.....kind of a seedy area but a great store.....probably in 1979.....they were playing this electronic piece....turned out to be Dune.....bought the record and it was the start of an amazing journey.

This one hits hard.

Today, I've listened to Electronic Meditations, Ash Ra Tempel and Timewind today (oddly enough, Klaus was not playing synths on two of them).

RIP, Klaus.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    If the afterlife has concert venues, those three are gonna clear rooms faster than Lucifer's rebellion.

Maybe he should go easy on the dearly departed and just start with Dark Side of the Moog XII
    That would be one gnarly experience, seeing those three crank it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear this. A truly great musician, and one I always loved listening to. Rest in peace, Herr Schulze.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does anyone know if his friend and partner KDM (Klaus D. Mueller) is still alive?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does anyone know if his friend and partner KDM (Klaus D. Mueller) is still alive?
    The website where he sometimes posts cranky-sounding announcements was updated this afternoon with,

R.I.P.

Klaus Schulze

4 August 1947 - 26 April 2022

I can't even begin to express how terribly sad I was when I read these news earlier. I still can't believe this. This one hurts beyond words. Farewell to one of my big musical heroes from my early youth and through my life. RIP, Master Schulze!
    I bet you and Edgar will have more than a blast together above the skies...

Started with Irrlicht, Cyborg and Blackdance and the next one will be Timewind..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listening to Timewind now, usually my favorite.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    I can't even begin to express how terribly sad I was when I read these news earlier. I still can't believe this. This one hurts beyond words. Farewell to one of my big musical heroes from my early youth and through my life. RIP, Master Schulze!
    I bet you and Edgar will have more than a blast together above the skies...

Started with Irrlicht, Cyborg and Blackdance and the next one will be Timewind..
    And then, perhaps, "Mirage".

I was surprised and happy to find Klaus Schulze on the closing credits of the new Dune film, Here is the story of how it happened

“And I suddenly remembered that Klaus Schulze wrote a song called ‘Frank Herbert.’ I basically lifted the bass line from that. So I phoned Klaus and asked him, could we make this a co-composition? Hans Zimmer

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/...er-1235242538/

"Klaus Schulze's music has never been more relevant than it is now," praised Oscar winner Zimmer ("Dune") in December last year. "More than ever, Klaus' work is the perfect balance between soul and technology. Electrons as ambassadors of romance. A master..."
    Last edited by begnagrad; 04-28-2022 at 12:56 AM.

RIP KS, Krautrock lost another legend...

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    The Electronic Meditation lineup finally reunites. RIP.
    Have Jimmy Jackson and Thomas Keyserling also passed?

Banned

Klaus Schulze was always ahead of his time. He had a decisive influence on all styles that emerged from electronic music - from ambient to techno. For more than 50 years, Schulze has spread his enormous carpets of sound, played his famous sequences and created an unique Schulze atmosphere. Klaus was always true to his unmistakable way of creating music and always open to new, innovative, experimental things. Rest in peace.

I defenitly need to get more Schulze. At this moment I only have 2 albums.

So sad to hear that Klaus has passed away. I need to get more music from him.
    He will be missed.

NP: Are You Sequenced?

Got Timewind, Moondawn and Kontinuum lined up as well, along with a selection of favorites from the editions. Thinking I need to add In Blue and Friendship (ART) as well.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I bought all his albums until the early 80's
    How good is the later stuff fro the 80's ?
    btw I saw a show he did in 1984 in Holand
    Superb

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I bought all his albums until the early 80's
    How good is the later stuff fro the 80's ?
    btw I saw a show he did in 1984 in Holand
    Superb
    Very cool Udi, never had the opportunity to see him live.

Post 80's is a mixed bag. Some very heavy sample stuff in the early 90's, but he started to revisit his "roots" after that. Some favorite ones (just IMHO):

In Blue (includes guitar work from MG, song is even titled "Return of the Tempel")
    Kontinuum
    Tradition and Vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTScOXvuFeI

Are You Sequenced is interesting too...not classic KS but one of the best of the 90's albums.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

A true legend and pioneer, he is now with Edgar in electronic heaven, RIP Herr Klaus.

Sad news. I have to admit I don't own an album from Klaus Schulze, the only one I had was Moondawn, but I couldn't get into his music (maybe I was too young at that time). I do however love the work he did with Stomu Yamash'ta and to honour him I just played the extended Go...Live From Paris, which ends with Space Requiem....

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Sad news. I have to admit I don't own an album from Klaus Schulze, the only one I had was Moondawn, but I couldn't get into his music (maybe I was too young at that time). I do however love the work he did with Stomu Yamash'ta and to honour him I just played the extended Go...Live From Paris, which ends with Space Requiem....
    Heard this?

Composed By, Arranged By – Richard Wahnfried (aka KS)
    Guitar – Karl Wahnfried, Manuel Göttsching
    Keyboards – Klaus Schulze
    Percussion – Mike Shrieve*
    Producer, Mixed By, Recorded By – Klaus Schulze
    Vocals – Michael Garvens

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Transfer Station Blue
    Michael Shrieve, Kevin Shrieve and Klaus Schulze

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Heard this?

Composed By, Arranged By – Richard Wahnfried (aka KS)
    Guitar – Karl Wahnfried, Manuel Göttsching
    Keyboards – Klaus Schulze
    Percussion – Mike Shrieve*
    Producer, Mixed By, Recorded By – Klaus Schulze
    Vocals – Michael Garvens

Yes, I even bought it, but didn't like it, so I gave it away.