Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me albums where the link between Prog and Science Fiction is the most bold

Banned

Recommend me albums where the link between Prog and Science Fiction is the most bold

Hello! Because I'm going to make a podcast about the connection between rock music and science fiction literature of the seventies, please suggest me prog-rock albums & songs that have such a connection. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Julian Jay Savarin is an author of SF books that made two Prog albums as himself and as Julian's Treatment.

Michael Moorcock wrote and performed and influenced some stuff by Hawkwind and Blue Öyster Cult. (that's more Fantasy than SF)

Hawkwind also did a song on Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury.

Magma's first few records are all based on a scifi concept.

Many metal bands used Frank Frazetta images for covers. Those are all scifi fantasy stuff.

https://entropymag.org/the-science-f...t-of-timeline/
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Olias of Sunhillow. It provides its own story, though; it isn't derived from any 70's sci-fi works.

"Watcher of the Skies" has SF-influenced lyrics. Although there's some disagreement about exactly what story it depicts, Childhood's End fits.

"Inca Roads" refers to Chariots of the Gods.

Baribrotzer: "1972 – The opening track of Genesis’ album Foxtrot, “Watcher of the Skies,” adopts the point of view of an alien surveying a deserted Earth. It is inspired in part by Arthur C. Clarke’s masterpiece, Childhood’s End, which title Pink Floyd lifts wholesale for one of their songs that same year, and which Van der Graaf Generator reappropriates in 1976 for their epic “Childlike Faith in Childhood’s End,” which incorporates cosmic-nerdy lyrics like this: “As anti-matter sucks and pulses periodically the bud unfolds, the bloom is dead, all space is living history.”"
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Fresq by Mysterkah - a French prog group released on Cyclops in 2002, there are some copies on E Bay UK, nothing on You Tube sadly.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=9112

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    "Watcher of the Skies" has SF-influenced lyrics. Although there's some disagreement about exactly what story it depicts, Childhood's End fits.
    One of the more interesting things to come out of a recent Tony Banks interview was that he's a huge sci-fi fan.

Van der Graaf Generator included some sci-fi themed songs on their early albums, like "Pioneers Over C", which is...
    about a group of astronauts who managed to travel faster than the speed of light (hence the "c" in the title). As a result, they go into a time warp, experiencing a "living death" where time passes in a nonlinear fashion, and are unable to return to Earth.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

To further the Hawkwind/Michael Moorcock recommendation, 1985's Chronicle of the Black Sword is based on Moorcock's Elric stories.

Cygnus Book I/II

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    To further the Hawkwind/Michael Moorcock recommendation, 1985's Chronicle of the Black Sword is based on Moorcock's Elric stories.
    He also performed with them with narration and vocals (to avoid the term singing) on a few tracks on Warriors on the Edge of Time and Sonic Attack, these albums also
    contain lyrics by him. He also did some narration on Live Chronicles.

Funnily enough, I have just reviewed a more modern sci-fi concept album, namely the rather superb Inner Prospekt, Grey Origin. The review is on my site and I would really encourage people to head to the Bandcamp link to hear a modern instrumental classic (and, no, I am not sponsored to say this).

BTW, to the OP, the sci-fi novel is an unfinished one and quite old, so should fit into the things you are looking for.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Eloy - Planets and Time To Turn in particular.

Voivod - Nothingface

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Eloy - Planets and Time To Turn in particular.
    Might as well throw Power And The Passion in as well, with it's "time eroding drugs."

Dialog s vesmírem by the Czech group Progres 2 is a concept album about the first interstellar space traveller who uses his flight to Proxima Centauri as an opportunity to escape the materialistic Earth society, but ends up confronting a world of human-hating robots controlled by a computer. Oh yeah, and an atmosphere full of gaseous heroin! The story was written by the group's manager Oskar Man and while it isn't based on any single literary work, it has SF tropes galore.

Similar science-fiction concepts can be found behind Eloy's Planets and Time To Turn, Ayreon's The Universal Migrator albums, CMX's Talvikuningas and Sound of Contact's Dimensionaut. That is, they feature space and time travel, galactic empires, holodecks, journey into black hole and the Omega point.

The songs on Solaris' Marsbéli Krónikák were all supposedly inspired by works of science fiction writers. At least the song titles are taken from the stories by Ray Bradbury, Stanisław Lem, Herbert W. Franke and György Botond-Bolics, plus perhaps others I don't recognise. Of course, they are all instrumental, so they may just as well have been inspired by the band's laundry bills.

The title track of The Sleeper Wakes and "The Right" by Morgan were inspired by the eponymous book by H. G. Wells and by C. M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".

Recently I heard this album, which is clearly influenced by the work of Philip K. Dick:

High Castle Teleorkestra: The Egg That Never Opened (Radio Free Albemuth part 1)

High Castle Teleorkestra (HCT) is a remote music ensemble whose members have played/collaborated with multiple ground-breaking bands including Estradasphere, Mr. Bungle, Farmer's Market, Umlaut, Probosci, I.S.S., Don Salsa, Traun and more. After 2 long years of meticulous production, HCT's debut album, The Egg That Never Opened (Radio Free Albemuth part 1), is finally being released by the Art As Catharsis label in June 2022. It will be available in standard download formats as well as a gorgeous 180g 2x12" 45rpm double LP, 20 page-2CD digibook, and deluxe options that include 40+ bonus tracks, a t-shirt and other exclusive content. The album traces the narrative of the discarded novel Radio Free Albemuth by famous sci-fi author Phillip K. Dick, which will be increasingly explored in HCT's music videos.

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth

Here's three true Epics:

Intergalactic Touring Band - This one is excellent, has contributions from Larry Fast (Synergy), Rod Argent, Dave Cousins (The Strawbs), Phil Collins to name a few but is out of print and I don't think it has ever been released in CD format (only Lp and cassette)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interg...c_Touring_Band

War of The Worlds by Jeff wayne - A real gem, luckily this one is available on CD. Based on the H.G. Wells Sci-Fi novel that has contributions from Justin Hayward, Chris Thompson, David essex and a lot more. Not to be missed and highly recommended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_W..._of_the_Worlds

And of course, there's also Rick Wakeman's epic Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (and Return to the Center of the earth), a no brainer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journe..._Earth_(album)

AND a lot more listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...concept_albums

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Here's three true Epics:

Intergalactic Touring Band - This one is excellent, has contributions from Larry Fast (Synergy), Rod Argent, Dave Cousins (The Strawbs), Phil Collins to name a few but is out of print and I don't think it has ever been released in CD format (only Lp and cassette)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interg...c_Touring_Band

[/url]
    It is on CD by VoicePrint/Gonzo Media

Eloy - Ra is a great one.

Not based on any published 70's science fiction but, if being very much based on the style of 70's SciFi-prog will do, then I'd say 1974's space trilogy is a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Cygnus Book I/II
    my first thoughts
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

They used to play this on the local FM station back in the late 70's.

The Alan Parsons Project. I Robot

https://youtube.com/watch?v=E3uXZhDktjs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Robot_(album)
    Last edited by clivey; 04-27-2022 at 04:43 AM.

"Hope" album from Klaatu
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...