Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me albums where the link between Prog and Science Fiction is the most bold

It's specifically steampunk fantasy but my first thought was actually Rush's Clockwork Angels.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Recently I heard this album, which is clearly influenced by the work of Philip K. Dick:

High Castle Teleorkestra: The Egg That Never Opened (Radio Free Albemuth part 1)
    will need to check this.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Most Ayreon and Arjen Lucassen-related albums.

Bowie's 1974 album Diamond Dogs is heavily based on Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

Genesis' "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" is a mashup of the very real British hogweed infestation (which was not a joke; that stuff had venom that would very quickly blister your skin) and John Wyndham's novel The Day of the Triffids (1951).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Dialog s vesmírem by the Czech group Progres 2 is a concept album about the first interstellar space traveller who uses his flight to Proxima Centauri as an opportunity to escape the materialistic Earth society, but ends up confronting a world of human-hating robots controlled by a computer. Oh yeah, and an atmosphere full of gaseous heroin! The story was written by the group's manager Oskar Man and while it isn't based on any single literary work, it has SF tropes galore.
    That's it, that's exactly what I need for my podcast. Thanks a lot!

Just sci-fi, or fantasy as well?

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I've always thought of Brain Salad Surgery, or at least the extended Karn Evil 9 piece, as science fiction oriented. It has a dystopian outlook and references something similar to the singularity in its 3rd impression.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Voivod - Nothingface
    Thanks for the suggestion, "Nothingface" is a great thrash-metal album, but for something non-prog rock, I'd like to play these two songs: the Grateful Dead's song "The Music Never Stopped", which borrows a line from Alfred Bester' sci-fi novel The Stars My Destination (1956), and The Who's song "905". The latter song is a genuine science fiction ditty about a grim future in which humans are reduced to unimaginative automatons designed in test tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    "Hope" album from Klaatu
    That's a goodie suggestion , and a few from their debut as well (Occupants, Uranus, Neutrino)

Also another trio from Toronto: FM's Black Noise
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Coheed and Cambria.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    He also performed with them with narration and vocals (to avoid the term singing) on a few tracks on Warriors on the Edge of Time and Sonic Attack, these albums also
    contain lyrics by him. He also did some narration on Live Chronicles.
    Moorcock also co-wrote 'Black Blade' on Blue Oyster Cult's 'Cultosaurus Erectus' album.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    One of the more interesting things to come out of a recent Tony Banks interview was that he's a huge sci-fi fan.
    One For The Vine and Get 'Em Out By Friday could be said to have science fiction themes.

Hawkwind have several others - Spirit of the Age, Sonic Attack, High Rise

Yes - Starship Trooper, albeit they only lifted the title of Heinlein's novel.

Nektar - Journey to the Centre of the Eye, Remember the Future
    Phideaux - Snow Torch, Number Seven and Doomsday Afternoon might be sci fi, hard to tell
    Rush - Red Barchetta
    Genesis - Keep it Dark, maybe Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (fantasy)
    Saga - The Chapters

Le Orme - Felona e Sorana is a concept album based on a SF story (and a stone cold Prog classic)

Presence - Gold is based on a SF book (forgot which one) P.S. Virginia Stait "PLANET OF THE WITCHES".
    Last edited by TheH; 04-26-2022 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

Hawkwind have several others -
    Utopia
    Robot (Most of PXR5 really
    Alien 4 (album)
    Heads

perhaps i mis-read it, but didn't the OP want music specifically relating to existing pieces of sci fi literature, as opposed to songs/album with a sci fi theme?

anyway, surprised no one has mentioned one or more of these...
    Alan Parsons - I Robot
    Klaus Shulze - Dune
    The Bongos - Barbarella (this one might not be prog, i suppose)

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    perhaps i mis-read it, but didn't the OP want music specifically relating to existing pieces of sci fi literature, as opposed to songs/album with a sci fi theme?
    I thought I read it that way a first time, but the thread title doesn't say it has to be related to a book. The text of the OP is a little more specific, but maybe the request might've been explicitly written, if such is the case.

In the case of Rush in the 70's, Ayn Rand's books often served as inspiration.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardGioaf. View Post
    That's it, that's exactly what I need for my podcast. Thanks a lot!

It's more or less comparable with The Interstellar Suite by Amin Bhatia (the booklet that came with the 25th anniversary edition contained a track-by-track companion guide):

What is being forgotten here is that the OP asked for works with connections (I think they said "links") to sf "literature". That means written stuff, not movies, and definitely something (however good) based on the musician's own SF ideas -- in other words, not things like "Get 'em Out by Friday" or the collected works of Christian Vander. An excellent example kenschwartz cited above is Alan Parsons's I, Robot, which is (loosely) based on Isaac Asimov's book of the same name. I presume that Klaus Schulze's Dune has a similar relationship to the book of that title by Frank Herbert. Though I think my favorite example was "Watcher of the Skies", with its relationships to Clarke's Childhood's End, and also to Keats's "On First Looking into Chapman's Homer":
    Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
    When a new planet swims into his ken

(There is a metric butt-ton of English poetry referenced in Gabriel-era Genesis songs.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Gong

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    Music that is just inspired by sci-fi literature in general, or based on a particular read, whatever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    It's more or less comparable with The Interstellar Suite by Amin Bhatia (the booklet that came with the 25th anniversary edition contained a track-by-track companion guide):

Perfect! Thank you very much!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Olias of Sunhillow. It provides its own story, though; it isn't derived from any 70's sci-fi works.
    For me, a flawless blend of “fantasy” and sci-fi. I will definitely include "Solid Space".

Ember
    Jefferson Airplane/Starship. Science fiction permeates their entire body of work.

Examples:

The post-apocalyptic "Wooden Ships." The song "Crown of Creation," which directly quotes a John Wyndham novel. The first Starship album, "Blows Against the Empire," about the hijacking of a starship and the search for a new home for humanity. (This album was actually nominated for a Hugo Award.)
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Van der Graaf Generator included some sci-fi themed songs on their early albums, like "Pioneers Over C"
    Thank you for reminding me. "Pioneers Over c" is certainly an interesting case.