Thread: King Crimson on steroids? - Thumpermonkey - Make Me Young, etc.

King Crimson on steroids? - Thumpermonkey - Make Me Young, etc.

The album is from 2018, so not really new but certainly new to me. Had to listen several times to fully appreciate it, quite quirky and interesting. Anyone into these guys?

"Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Got into them several years ago now when their Sleep Furiously album came out. They were mentioned on a thread here about who to look out for in the young upcoming acts. I've got their entire catalogue going back to when I believe it was pretty much a one man project by Michael Woodman and billed as Thumpermonkey Lives! There's plenty to like across all their releases but my absolute favourite tracks are The Drill from Bring Me Sun for Breakfast and 419 from We Bake Our Bread Beneath Her Holy Fire (which sets a Nigerian scam email to music).

"One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

TESTING TESTING

Saw them once, very enjoyable gig.

H'mmm. I like it, but I don't hear any realtion to King Crimson. I hear more than a little pH/VDGG in there, in the vocals and the dynamics. But the piano (and especially the many arpeggios) remind me of something that I can't place.
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Got into them several years ago now when their Sleep Furiously album came out. They were mentioned on a thread here about who to look out for in the young upcoming acts. I've got their entire catalogue going back to when I believe it was pretty much a one man project by Michael Woodman and billed as Thumpermonkey Lives! There's plenty to like across all their releases but my absolute favourite tracks are The Drill from Bring Me Sun for Breakfast and 419 from We Bake Our Bread Beneath Her Holy Fire (which sets a Nigerian scam email to music).
    Wow, seems like there is quite a bit to explore there. Thanks for the tips. On a bad side, looks like their bandcamp website may be the only site to get their music and, with exception of a couple of EPs, only in digital format.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    H'mmm. I like it, but I don't hear any realtion to King Crimson. I hear more than a little pH/VDGG in there, in the vocals and the dynamics. But the piano (and especially the many arpeggios) remind me of something that I can't place.
    Meant mainly the first two tracks with the reference to KC there, and only in the instrumental side of it. As for the rest, "steroids" sounded better than drugs

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Wow, seems like there is quite a bit to explore there. Thanks for the tips. On a bad side, looks like their bandcamp website may be the only site to get their music and, with exception of a couple of EPs, only in digital format.
    Yes I've got a lot of it in digital format from Bandcamp although I did manage to get CDs of these:
    Make Me Young, etc.
    Electricity
    Sleep Furiously
    We Bake Our Bread Beneath Her Holy Fire

At one time Rockosmos (The label run by Amplifier's Sel Balamir) had some stock of older Thumpermonkey CDs but I think they cleared it all out in a sale.

I should caution that the very early Thumpermonkey Lives stuff (Alpha Romeo, Pigheart) is very different from the full band format stuff although, having said that, two early tracks - Schrödinger's Cat and Wheezyboy - were re-recorded in full band format.
    Last edited by Geoff O'Donoghue; 04-25-2022 at 09:40 PM.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"

TESTING TESTING

They also sound a bit like The Mercury Tree, only without the disconcerting alternate tuning systems.

Excellent. I need to get something by them.

FREE Thumpermonkey compilation on Bandcamp.

I got the following email from the band today -

"Hey!

As you may have seen, we've added a FREE Thumpermonkey compilation on our Bandcamp page, featuring tracks from 'Fire' / 'Sleep' / 'Electricity' / 'Young'.

thumpermonkey.bandcamp.com/album/a-short-introduction-to

It also includes the handpan-centric lockdown re-recording of 'This Is Not A Fire', where Rael and Ben swapped instruments."

TESTING TESTING

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    FREE Thumpermonkey compilation on Bandcamp.

I got the following email from the band today -

"Hey!

As you may have seen, we've added a FREE Thumpermonkey compilation on our Bandcamp page, featuring tracks from 'Fire' / 'Sleep' / 'Electricity' / 'Young'.

thumpermonkey.bandcamp.com/album/a-short-introduction-to

It also includes the handpan-centric lockdown re-recording of 'This Is Not A Fire', where Rael and Ben swapped instruments."
    Been spinning that sampler....killer stuff!

I've only got Sleep Furiously from approx a decade back but really like it. Edgy, riffy, dissonant and loud but clear-cut melodic craft to boot. They share a detail or two with advanced yet aggressive groups like NoMeansNo, Shudder To Think, Dazzling Killmen, Trojan Horse (their first three) and Tera Melos, but Thumpermonkey come across as distinctly British to my ears. I'm glad I got it when I did.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Just bought CDs of 'Electricity' and 'Make Me Young, Etc.' Completely digging it!