Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Band Mascots

Band Mascots

Listening to Kansas, I’ve always thought that the old guy on the album covers always seemed to be in an uproar. Like he had a loud voice. The Greatful Dead loved skeletons but so do other bands for that matter but they seemed to really use it first. Anekdoten always had a chair on their covers for you. So, I think there must be others of interest.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Oh, let’s not forget Jethro Tull with their dirty old man.

The old guy on the first Kansas album is John Brown who was influential in starting the Civil War, it's a painting on the state courthouse, IIRC. Bible in one hand and a gun in the other, so fitting for bleeding Kansas.

How can this thread even be done without mentioning Eddie The 'ead? Every Iron Maiden release has had him from the beginning. He's the mascot of all time in RNR .
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Marillion’s jester, later picked up by every neo-prog band in existence when they quit using it.

The little white rat from Triumvirat, which I’m pretty sure was the idea of some suit at Capitol Records, and the band had nothing to do with it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Skeletons are Grateful Dead's mascot but so are dancing bears.

The only that really sticks out for me is the gentle giant guy from Gentle Giant. I'm not sure if the armadillo tank can be considered a mascot for ELP although maybe the manticore lion was. I think for a lot of prog bands it was their logos and not so much a mascot as such.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Megadeth's Vic Rattlehead, an obvious Maiden/Eddie inspiration, although they didn't use him on every single cover like Maiden did.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    The old guy on the first Kansas album is John Brown who was influential in starting the Civil War, it's a painting on the state courthouse, IIRC. Bible in one hand and a gun in the other, so fitting for bleeding Kansas.

How can this thread even be done without mentioning Eddie The 'ead? Every Iron Maiden release has had him from the beginning. He's the mascot of all time in RNR .
    I did think about IM but I thought it to close to what The Greatful Dead was doing.

Now I’m wondering if Roger Deans flying machine for Yes would count.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post

The flying aircraft from Fragile? Maybe. It's too bad they didn't use the mannequin head from TYA as a mascot. Pink Floyd had flying pigs at their concerts and Yes could have had flying mannequin heads. A real missed opportunity imo.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That’s Dean’s own personal mascot, it seems to always appear by his name and trademark notice or whatever.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Anekdoten always had a chair on their covers for you.
    If that's an example then we can add Henry Cow's sock.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

I still say Eddie was the one who did the contract negotiations for the band. Rod Smallwood just send ole Ed in there, and he'd make sure the band got the upper hand. That's why they were always able to do what they did, becuase if the EMI interfered, they knew' they'd have to deal with Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Skeletons are Grateful Dead's mascot but so are dancing bears.
    The dancing teddy bears are not exactly a Grateful Dead thing -- though they're closely associated with them -- they're actually for Owsley, who was at the time the world's finest supplier of acid. He'd been known as "Bear" since long before he got into either acid or the Dead, but the name stuck until his untimely death ... well, not that untimely; he was 76...
    I've seen all cruel people bashing heads each day so sadistic I'm on my way.

^Oh, ok. Thanks for the info.

Little River Band has the platypus. Even the new versions of the band with no Aussies in the lineup still use it...

Osibisa with their flying elephants.

Budgie with the bird-headed guy on the horse.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Eddie from IM is so iconic. IM's album covers make no pretense about what you're about to hear. Even the most uninformed knows it's gonna be metal up the arse.

The band Riot (now called Riot V) had the seal guy.

The band GWAR are themselves mascots. Some people find them scary, but I find them comically over the top.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Zep with the Hindenburg, or the runes.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I still say Eddie was the one who did the contract negotiations for the band. Rod Smallwood just send ole Ed in there, and he'd make sure the band got the upper hand. That's why they were always able to do what they did, becuase if the EMI interfered, they knew' they'd have to deal with Eddie.
    It's funny how IM got to the top so fast and have been able to do exactly whatever the hell they want for decades. Maybe Eddie did have something to do with the proceedings but it's really a wild story when you think of it. Not many bands get that total authority over what they produce.

I gotta say, having Rod being the hard ass let the band be the normal blokes they are. I met Dave and Adrian for a brief moment and gotta say, those dudes were way cool. This was 2000 and they were just joking and having a good time with us, even if they were in a hurry to go out on the town. You can see it in the History video(which is a lot of fun but they really need to update that, they haven't even gotten through the '90's) and, well, any other doc on the guys.

They are the anomalies in RNR, guys who haven't lost their heads through drugs, alcohol, touring, fame...Crikey, Steve brings his kids on the road, how cool is that? I love the Japanese girl in the Flight 666 doc who says she wants to be Steve Harris kid. How lucky she would be.

Sorry, I lost the plot. Mascots eh, carry on.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    In a Facebook post this morning I told Barry Andrews that Shriekback's mascot should be a sperm cell. He replied something like "Sounds messy!"
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Huh. Shreikback. Never 'eard of them. Should I check them out? Might be a little too metal for me judging from the name but I dig the name so who knows.

Not really a mascot (actually, not a mascot at all), but Toto have a recurring theme of swords and rings in their album art.

And Journey uses that beetle/spaceship thing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Another example that's again not exactly a mascot - The Stranglers use the rat from Rattus Norvegicus.
    stranglers rat.jpg
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

TESTING TESTING

Boston's Unidentified Flying Guitar....?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."