Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New (mainly) prog blog & review site

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I bought the CD based on your review. But it cost me $44 Canadian. Definitely not cheap but I'm okay with it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I bought the CD based on your review. But it cost me $44 Canadian. Definitely not cheap but I'm okay with it.
    Fantastic! I know you will enjoy it and find it is worth the money. In another thread, somebody mentioned a similar price for the last Lifesigns album, and how they told the band they were not getting it owing to the obscene price charged. I didn't get Altitude. I thought it was a good album, but really no more than that, and not worth the expense. It all comes down to personal taste, I suppose.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Fantastic! I know you will enjoy it and find it is worth the money. In another thread, somebody mentioned a similar price for the last Lifesigns album, and how they told the band they were not getting it owing to the obscene price charged. I didn't get Altitude. I thought it was a good album, but really no more than that, and not worth the expense. It all comes down to personal taste, I suppose.

I liked the YouTube clips so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the overall album. I'll report back.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

This week’s Video of the Week is the stunning debut single by Maer, a brand-new collaboration between Anna Murphy of Cellar Darling and Marjana Semkina of Iamthemorning. It is exceptionally dark folk/prog music, and I simply cannot wait for the full album. You can purchase the single at Bandcamp.

I have uploaded album reviews from 1994 to Album Reviews by Year Page. The reviews are albums by Marillion, Mike Oldfield, Yes, Jon Anderson, Trey Gunn, Pink Floyd, and Collage.

I will in the not-too-distant future be adding a new feature, which will be a page dedicated to reviews of live albums and live music. A work in progress, but hopefully when it is started it will be an additional enjoyable resource, and my grateful thanks to Rich for inspiring this.

Tonight's update is something pretty special. I have uploaded an incredibly in-depth interview with Ghost of the Machine, this hot on the heels of the release of their debut album, Scissorgames.

The detail they have gone into is remarkable, and this is an interview not to be missed. As I say in the byline on the interview page, get a flagon of ale (or large cup of tea if that way inclined), sit back, read, and enjoy!

The interview can be found at https://lazland.org/interviews/ghost-of-the-machine and must not be missed.

There are a pile of reviews and interviews to be found on the site, and all without those bloody annoying pop-up ads you see on other sites. Simply go to the homepage, and enjoy exploring.

This week’s Video of the Week is the new Riverside single, I’m Done With You. The new album is released in early 2023, and if this is anything to go by, it will be a corker! This is on the Homepage, simply scroll down to view it.

I have updated historical album reviews by year with 1993 reviews of IQ and Fish. 1992 features Mike Oldfield, Anglagard, Peter Gabriel, and Roger Waters. I am hoping to finish uploading all the historical reviews by the end of 2022, at which point I will commence uploading to these pages’ reviews of the hundreds (nay, thousands!) of albums I never got around to reviewing at the time, or those I have purchased since.

Coming up shortly on Lazland, we will be having reviews of Imaginaerium, Eddie Mulder’s new album, and interviews are being prepared with Anne-Claire Rallo and members of Imaginaerium, plus Dave Hilborne of Nova Cascade. My recent interview with Ghost of the Machine has been extremely well received, so thanks to all who have viewed it and fed back. If you haven’t seen it, what on earth are you waiting for? Get to www.lazland.org and simply click on the button on the homepage. You don’t even get any bloody annoying messages from our sponsors!

This weekend, I am embarking on The Mansel Arms Ale Club Annual Trip, which this year is to my old home county of Shropshire. A full report, if I can remember any of it, will follow sometime next week. This trip means that normal reviewing service might be delayed. I know that you lovely people will understand.

Lazland is back following an extraordinarily boozy trip with The Mansel Arms Cask Ale Club in Shropshire, which also happens to be my old stomping ground before moving to the heathen hordes of Wales.

So, we are starting to catch up and tonight the website has been updated with a review of Eddie Mulder's marvellous new solo album, Signature. Simply go to the homepage and click on the relevant button.

More to follow this week, including a report on said boozy trip. 2022 really has featured some excellent music - do make sure that you follow it all on www.lazland.org

A real treat for you all tonight. An exclusive interview has been published on the site with the extremely talented John Holden, who has add such luminaries as Oliver Wakeman, Billy Sherwood, That Joe Payne, and many others guesting on his intelligent and atmospheric music. John has provided me with some wonderfully detailed responses and there is also a brand new video, worth the entrance price alone, of KV62, an epic track telling the story of the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun, this from the 2021 album Circles In Time.

Enjoy. Also, Video of the Week is a live Nightwish track, with our best wishes to Floor for her operation and a full recovery.

Tonight's update features a review of Imaginaerium, The Rise of Medici, the rock opera by Clive Nolan, Eric Bouillette, and Laura Piazzi.

Further, I have uploaded yet another exclusive interview, this time with Dave Hilborne of Nova Cascade, who goes into great detail about this marvellous ambient progressive rock project. Of course, Eric Bouillette was also involved with this, so tonight can be seen as a tribute to a great artist.

Enjoy

Tonight's update is a review of the debut album by Dutch prog metal band, Enma, and good stuff it is, too. Simply go to the homepage and click on the button.

Tonight's feast of fun is a review of Flamborough Head's new release, Jumping The Milestone, and damned fine it is, too. Simply go to the homepage and click on the relevant button.

Video of the Week is an oldie, but a goodie - Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers.

I have quite a backlog at the moment, so the personal blog side and the historic reviews are taking a wee bit of a backseat, but hopefully when I catch up, normal service will be resumed.

Tonight, I have posted a review of Sicilian trio Silver Nightmare's debut full length album, Apocalypsis. Simply go to the homepage and click on the button to take you to an interesting debut, which certainly has plenty of ambition.

There will hopefully be quite a bit more to follow this week - I took a few days off last week owing to personal stuff going on.

Tonight, I have uploaded a review of the new album by Grice, the British art rocker. Polarchoral is a stunning album - to read and listen to a few tracks, simply go to my homepage and click on the relevant button.

I have also updated the Ale of the Week page. Again, go to the homepage and click away.

Video of the week is a recent live Magenta because I am off to see them on Saturday! Happy days - please enjoy.

Just read a couple of reviews and I am impressed! I don't do beers anymore - will pass on that bit.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Just read a couple of reviews and I am impressed! I don't do beers anymore - will pass on that bit.
    Why, thank you!

Life without beer? Blimey, a shocking prospect

Congratulations! I've bookmarked it, and will take a look.

Tonight's main update is a double Magenta header! A review of their brand new CD, The White Witch A Symphonic Trilogy and of their live show near Cardiff last Saturday. Simply go to the homepage at www.lazland.org and click on the relevant buttons.

Also, Video of the Week this week is the brand new Riverside advance single from Inside Out. The new album is released in January.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the review of Magenta's White Witch. I have it on my wish list on Amazon.ca.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks for the review of Magenta's White Witch. I have it on my wish list on Amazon.ca.
    It is a fine album which I know you will enjoy.

Tonight's update is a review of Leo Carnicella's debut full-length album, Super Sargossa Sea which features a guest appearance from the legendary Martin Barre. You can read the review and listen to the music by going to my homepage and clicking on the button link which, remarkably, still allows you to enjoy music and words without any shockingly annoying adverts.

I might update the historical album reviews later depending upon time available - I am staying in a hotel in "lovely" Leeds tonight with work. Bloody good job retirement is beckoning in a couple of years time!

I have posted a review of the incredible new Galahad album, The Last Great Adventurer. It is a thoroughly good listen, and there are links to some tracks which if you have not yet heard, I know you will enjoy.

Video of the week is by Ed Zero, Alright! It's Repeating, a new piece of music ahead of his new album release in 2023. It is an interesting listen.

The votes are in! The judge has spoken! Yes, it is the 2022 www.lazland.org awards! Either click on the link on the Homepage, or even more conveniently go straight there via https://lazland.org/beer-news-1/lazland-awards-2022

As I have said on more than a few occasions, I am not a fan of lists at the end of the year, so I have tried to do something a little bit different.
    The categories for the Lazland awards for the best of 2022 are:

Track of the Year
    Those Who Served and are Deeply Missed
    Take Notice for an Extremely Bright Future Award
    Covid Track of the Year
    Single of the Year
    Of Our Time Album award
    Short Track of the Year Award
    Best Band Name Inspired By A Law Firm
    Pastoral Track of the Year Award
    Spoken Album of the Year Award
    Ode to the Sea Award
    Classical Reference of the Year Award
    Instrumental Track of the Year Award
    Best Guest Vocal of the Year
    Tales From Topographic Oceans Award
    Siberian Khatru Award
    Old Farts of the Year Award
    Channelling One’s Inner Trevor Rabin Track of the Year Award
    Bird Song of the Year Award
    Hammer Horror Album of the Year Award
    Ballad of the Year
    The Fletcher Memorial Home Award
    Debut Album of the Year Award
    Instrumental Album of the Year Award
    Dystopian Track of the Year Award
    Best Named Tracks of the Year Award
    It’s Bloody Lovely in Scandinavia Award
    Tribute of the Year Award
    Forbidden Love Track of the Year Award
    Saved from Oblivion by a Wonderful Track Award

Who has won? Who has not? Who garners a special mention? How rude can one be to Ian Anderson? These are questions for which the answers only reveal themselves if you click on https://lazland.org/beer-news-1/lazland-awards-2022

Enjoy!

In addition, the Ale of the Week page has been updated, as has Video of the Week featuring the late Tracy Hitchings with Landmarq.

As I am off work, a bit of catching up on stuff I have neglected lately, so some more historical album reviews uploaded, 1985 to 1991. No great surprises, but some important albums from Camel, Yes, Genesis, Marillion, Fish, Mike Oldfield, Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters, Anthony Phillips, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, Twelfth Night, and Asia.

Simply go to the homepage and click on Historical Album Reviews and take yourself to "Album Reviews by Year to 2021" and choose your year!

Great! Thanks. Will check it out.

Although Mr Laz has for the past 9 days been laid up with Mr Lurgy over the holiday period, that does not mean that all activity on your favourite music and culture review site has completely ceased.

I have, at long last, completed my transfer of historical reviews mainly written for Prog Archives to the new site, so there are reviews of albums from 1967 to 2021 on the "Historic Album Reviews" part of the site. Simply click on the button either at the top or the link on the homepage. This last week has seen reviews of albums from 1967 to 1985 uploaded - a warning to all that there are really no great surprises in the content for these years. As with most music reviewers, when I started doing this, I tended to concentrate on old favourites and material I was intimately familiar with. However, now I have transferred the work I regard as my intellectual property to my very own site, I will, moving forward, be adding new reviews to these pages and hopefully stuff which will be of a little bit more interest and perhaps some more obscure stuff to pour over.

Tomorrow night, I will be publishing a brand new interview with a major artist. It is incredibly comprehensive and a joy to read. Details to follow tomorrow.