Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: New (mainly) prog blog & review site

We have two new reviews for your enjoyment and delectation on www.lazland.org this evening.

The first is the new project of Zal Cleminson of (amongst others) SAHB, Nazereth, and Sin Dogs alongside Billy McGonagle, Orphans of the Ash with their very heavy Ellipsis. Fans of the heavier end of the prog spectrum should really enjoy this.

The second is the sophomore EP by Canadian duo, Space Kitchen, which will appeal to fans of the more playful end of the prog spectrum.

As ever, take yourself along to the website homepage and click on the buttons.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Tonight, I have published reviews of the new Big Big Train, the first featuring new vocalist Alberto Bravin, and an interesting instrumental from Australia, Inner Cosmos by Matt Goodluck.

As usual, pop along to www.lazland.org and click on the button link.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Very balanced and original take on the new BBT Album.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Very balanced and original take on the new BBT Album.
    Thank you!

Okay, it is a new week, and it promises to be a busy one at www.lazland.org

Firstly, I have posted an interview with the wonderful Nova Cascade, a fine ambient progressive rock band, on my YouTube channel. There is a lot there - plans for their next album, last year's The Navigator, profits from which are donated to Pancreatic Cancer Research UK owing to the passing of their colleague Eric Bouillette, music in general, and there is music played, both old and new.

Okay, a couple of updates this evening.

Go to the homepage at www.lazland.org for a review of Lialim High, an interesting curiosity by 90's band Twin Age recently reissued.

Plus, a new addition to the video channel, this being the first of my "Ruminations" series of thoughts on the last month's music. I hope you find this something a little bit different from the usual review videos.

I'm sure it's on my end but my volume setting is 100 and the YT volume setting is 100 too. Can barely hear you.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm sure it's on my end but my volume setting is 100 and the YT volume setting is 100 too. Can barely hear you.
    Oh dear. I am sorry to hear that. It all seems to be fine my end. I have just played it again now on halfway volume and can hear myself, whilst a friend has emailed me to say he was enjoying it. How is the music coming over, as a matter of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Oh dear. I am sorry to hear that. It all seems to be fine my end. I have just played it again now on halfway volume and can hear myself, whilst a friend has emailed me to say he was enjoying it. How is the music coming over, as a matter of interest?
    Oh well. I thought it was on my end. I can faintly hear the music. Thanks.

Oh well. I thought it was on my end. I can faintly hear the music. Thanks.
    Well, I think there might be an issue which I certainly need to address with the next one, and that is that the audio of my talking is quieter than the music. Not imperceptible, but certainly my talking needs to be addressed, and I think this might have been something which went wrong in the editing suite (I am new to this, and am learning as I go along). This is the feedback I have had from a friend just now, but he confirmed that he could hear me, he just had to turn the music down as it is a lot louder.

I am sorry you are having problems with it, because as one of my regular readers/viewers, I want you to be happy with what I produce. I definitely have a couple of glitches to sort out, which I will do, and am grateful for your comments as ever

^^ What kind of microphone are you using? Sometimes it's a simple fix like checking the gain level or your computer's sound settings to make sure nothing else turned down the volume (Zoom, etc. can do this and not change it back when you exit). Once you find the level that works right for you, it's just a matter of remembering to double-check each time before you record.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^ What kind of microphone are you using? Sometimes it's a simple fix like checking the gain level or your computer's sound settings to make sure nothing else turned down the volume (Zoom, etc. can do this and not change it back when you exit). Once you find the level that works right for you, it's just a matter of remembering to double-check each time before you record.

its a decent Rode microphone, and I think you are right in your last words, the double checking bit. I am a complete newbie to this, and I am slowly but surely getting used to multitasking on these things with the help of comments like this.

My hope is the learning process at this end does not detract too much from the enjoyment of what I am trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    its a decent Rode microphone, and I think you are right in your last words, the double checking bit. I am a complete newbie to this, and I am slowly but surely getting used to multitasking on these things with the help of comments like this.

My hope is the learning process at this end does not detract too much from the enjoyment of what I am trying to do.
    It shouldn't, once you get the hang of it. I use a PC with a Blue Yeti mic and the very first time I went on air for my radio show, I thought I was all set but I had done a Zoom meeting earlier that day and it automatically lowered the volume from 83 (my preference) to 51 without informing me. So I had about a dozen people messaging me to say they could barely hear me, but the music was loud. That problem was solved once I started checking my audio settings beforehand. Again, it could also be as simple as making sure the gain knob is turned up to a reasonable level. Will require some minor testing until you're satisfied but it will work out fine for you.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It shouldn't, once you get the hang of it. I use a PC with a Blue Yeti mic and the very first time I went on air for my radio show, I thought I was all set but I had done a Zoom meeting earlier that day and it automatically lowered the volume from 83 (my preference) to 51 without informing me. So I had about a dozen people messaging me to say they could barely hear me, but the music was loud. That problem was solved once I started checking my audio settings beforehand. Again, it could also be as simple as making sure the gain knob is turned up to a reasonable level. Will require some minor testing until you're satisfied but it will work out fine for you.
    I really don't want Lazland to worry about my computer issues. I'm sure you're fine. I'll follow-up Lorne - I have a Dell laptop but don't know about the speaker name.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:08 PM.

Absolutely, and thanks for this, which I greatly appreciate.

Not a bad community, the prog world, eh??

After all the video channel stuff, it is back to the Lazland day job, with a review of an album which is pretty much essential - Inner Prospekt, with Unusual Movements.

Pop along to www.lazland.org and take a look. Strike a blow for anti-corporatist music!

It is fair to say that there have been a few technical issues since Lazland launched its YouTube video channel. Indeed, the chap writing this post is now extremely sensitive to the reasons why the BBC and such like pay a bunch of clever spotty yoofs up to £40k a year to engineer videos and podcasts instead of getting the likes of Emily Maitlis to do it herself.

I am grateful to Prog Ears forum participators for not just feedback, but some very helpful hints that have enabled me to see what I have been doing wrong and how to fix it. Artists, especially, have been very kind in forgiving some of the glitches encountered.

With this all in mind, the Ruminations vlog last week was not really fit for purpose, so I have now uploaded “Ruminations 1 – The Final Cut” to YouTube. On this, you can finally hear me in glorious stereo and listen to the music hopefully without having your wig blown off! The music is by Nova Cascade, Big Big Train, Dim Gray, Ana Patan, Orphans of the Ash, For All We Know, and The Patchwork Alliance from Guy Manning. It all looks and sounds rather good, even if I do say so myself! The next one will follow at the end of the month.

Oh, incidentally, those of you who follow me in Russia (and there are a couple of you, I know) are not able to view this video because of, I think, sanctions. I don’t think it was I who insulted Uncle Vlad, but something to do with Inside Out records, who BBT are with now.
    In the meantime, my review spot on the brilliant Progressive Rock Show hosted by Graham Harfleet on Progzilla Radio also features Big Big Train, with one of the epics from The Likes of Us – jolly good stuff it is, as well.

Lastly, my grateful thanks to all of you who follow me here and view the website and the video channel. I love you all, each and every one of you!

I can hear you!!!!!!

I'll be back to watch the show later.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 1 Week Ago at 12:52 PM.

I can hear you!!!!!!

I'll be back to watch the show later.
    Fantastic! Your comments led me to take a closer look at what I had done. Without boring everyone with the details, there is a difference between listening to something whilst editing and the finished product, and I have learnt to take an awful lot more time and checks before publishing.

Tonight, it is well and truly back to the "day job" with two new releases uploaded to www.lazland.org

We have an EP from Texas collective Phase of Twilight, really interesting stuff.

We have the debut album from brand new English collective, Age of Distraction, and a cracker it is, too.

You can read the words and listen to some of the music simply by heading over to your favourite review website and clicking on the relevant buttons.

First album review of the week is up, something heavier than the usual fare, this being Hosts of a Vanished World from Bob Saliba.

As ever, head over to www.lazland.org and click on the relevant button link.

Busy, busy, busy at www.lazland.org with the second review of the week, Neranotte from Italian outfit Juglans Regia. A really fine album which should excite all fans of Italian rock music. Simply go along to my homepage and click on the album review button!