Thread: Justin Hayward Tour 2013

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Justin Hayward Tour 2013

I only recently started listening closely to The Moody Blues (thanks, TheProffet!) and when I saw that Justin Hayward was going to be playing very close to me in an intimate theater (Tarrytown Music Hall) I decided to take advantage of my membership there and purchase a ticket before general sale. But I really have no idea what Hayward is like live, especially these days.

Anyone have any reviews of recent Hayward shows, or able to recommend some good, recent, live videos online? I'm really looking forward to it because it should be a fun, mellow evening without any unrealistic expectations, just good tunes. But I don't know if he has a full band, plays solo acoustic, etc...

I love the man, but have never seen him/them live. What a marvelous songwriter. And yet he could sing the proverbial phonebook and I'd still enjoy listening.

I'm really looking forward to it because it should be a fun, mellow evening without any unrealistic expectations, just good tunes.

Still sings and plays very well.

Just noticed he's playing in my area. Too bad I'll be on vacation that week.

There should be some YouTube videos of recent gigs.

Looks like he is coming to the Sellersville Theater in August...ticket prices are $75 and $90.

Space Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Looks like he is coming to the Sellersville Theater in August...ticket prices are $75 and $90.
    I was all set to buy until I saw the price...gotta pass on this one (I got Stones tix for less!). Still, I like that they are unafraid to make the booking despite the cost.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just got back from this show in Tarrytown. It was pretty enjoyable. Definitely the most mellow concert I've ever been to. Also, while I'm no spring chicken, I was one of the younger people in the crowd. Lots of women who obviously still hold a torch for Justin!

The one surprise in the set, to me anyway, was that they did Forever Autumn from War of the Worlds, and he commented on how the album never caught on in the US like it did many other countries.

Other highlights were pretty much the three hits Tuesday Afternoon, Knights..., and The Question. He also played a lot of stuff from his new album, which is pretty good.

The band was small, and again aside from the guitar player who was a young sort of flashy player, they were super mellow. Just two keyboard players, one male one female, who also supplied backing vox, and the woman a little percussion. Actually, she hardly touched her keyboard. the guy on keyboards was super cheesy, but he did sort of get the audience clapping, etc.

Not a sellout I think, but a decent crowd. Tomorrow night is Todd Rundgren in the same theater.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The one surprise in the set, to me anyway, was that they did Forever Autumn from War of the Worlds
    He's been doing that with the Moody Blues for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    aside from the guitar player who was a young sort of flashy player
    Interesting that he had another guitar. His leads are some of the tastiest ever. Did he stick with rhythm? Was he playing an acoustic more often than not?

Going to the NYC gig tonight. Appears on Ticketmaster that there are about 5 seats left, in the back rows of the balcony.

Looking forward to Hayward solo, as I haven't seen the Moody Blues as a band, live, since about 1990 or so.

Mike