Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any Word On ProgDay 2022?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You got pictures of my two empty chairs.
    When he took the photo, they weren't empty!

Actually, on a more somber note, was there any kind of mention from the stage of the Progday stalwarts who we we lost over the past few years? And was there a cutout of Geezer in a chair somewhere, which I THINK I'd heard somewhere that someone had planned to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Actually, on a more somber note, was there any kind of mention from the stage of the Progday stalwarts who we we lost over the past few years? And was there a cutout of Geezer in a chair somewhere, which I THINK I'd heard somewhere that someone had planned to do.
    Yes, there was an onstage mention, to the memory of absent friends. It was a nice moment and I'm glad that they did it. The field was definitely a little emptier without Geezer, Uncle Norm, Chris Buckley and others.

Neil

^ No cutout, Jed.

When he took the photo, they weren't empty!

As Neil says there was a mention from Michael on stage. A group of us who were friends with TJ Higgins also hosted our own toast to him under a canopy and said a few words on Sunday afternoon.

I extended my ProgDay trip to visit friends on the way down and the way back, so I've been home only a day or two. I had such a good time seeing and listening to eight great performances and talking with friends old and new. A highlight for me was the gathering (I think at least three times over the weekend) of the Prog Beer Snobs. Sampled some mighty tasty stuff.

Sincere thanks to Michael, Debbie, and the rest of the committee. Looking forward to next year.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

What happened to me quite a few times was with my fuzzy peripheral vision I would have a Geezer or Toby or TJ or Chris sighting and quickly have a "no, they aren't here anymore" realization. Very sad indeed.

Like i had mentioned earlier was there were quite a few new faces who seemed to really dig the vibe of the festival. I hope they tell two friends and so on...............

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Thank you so much and thank you to everyone saying such nice things. I had a great time and am really happy that Michael invited me, I’m grateful for the whole experience and to everyone who made it what it was - I’d be there anytime I could.
    How about coming back in 2024 for the 30th anniversary of Boil That Dust Speck and playing that album? The whole thing this time. :-)

For what it's worth, I pretty much agree with most of the previous posts about this year's ProgDay. It was great to be back at Storybook Farm. The new sound crew left a lot to be desired (the monitor guy disappearing at the start of iNFiNiEN's set was particularly bad), but otherwise it was a near-perfect weekend. I didn't order any food on Saturday, so I missed the problems with the food vendor.

There's usually one or two (or even three) bands at a ProgDay that just aren't for me. This year the closest I came to that was probably Aziola Cry because I'm not a huge prog metal fan, but I even enjoyed a good bit of their set. There just weren't any bad bands this year, and there were several excellent ones. Highlights for me were iNFiNiEN, Cheer-Accident and Mike Keneally (ill-gotten jam notwithstanding). The Friday night preshow was also fun - the Yes tribute band was...well, a little shaky but fun, and Maj Deeka were a good fusion band.

The Saturday night pool party was fun, although the Sunday night party got a little out of hand with the "who can play the strangest cover song over a too-loud bluetooth speaker" competition.

For those who enjoy audience recordings, I put all my recordings of the weekend up on Dime a Dozen.
    Last edited by Ground and Sky's Ghost; 09-14-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Misspelled band name

Banned
    Yes the iNFiNiEN mix issues were a disappointment. However, I felt the sound of the PA itself was an improvement to a higher fidelity. Not that previous years PA was not adequate, but the new one has better imaging and clarity.

It was somewhat unintentional but I think that I have found my new strategy when it comes to lunch at PD. Go to a restaurant the night before and order a somewhat large meal (not that hard to do in North America) and then box the leftovers and take them in a cooler the next day. Saturday's PD 'lunch' was Fettuccini Carrabba and Sunday was pizza. Having said that the last pre-Covid meal vendors were great I thought and I'm sure that this years was fine once they got the issues sorted out. But I think the leftovers plan will be my choice next year, as well.

Neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    It was somewhat unintentional but I think that I have found my new strategy when it comes to lunch at PD. Go to a restaurant the night before and order a somewhat large meal (not that hard to do in North America) and then box the leftovers and take them in a cooler the next day. Saturday's PD 'lunch' was Fettuccini Carrabba and Sunday was pizza. Having said that the last pre-Covid meal vendors were great I thought and I'm sure that this years was fine once they got the issues sorted out. But I think the leftovers plan will be my choice next year, as well.

Neil
    Good plan
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Neil
    I usually try to support the food vendors at ProgDay simply because giving them business is the only way the festival is going to get one to come out and provide food. That being said, with everything running so far behind on Saturday I did not buy anything from them this year. After the fact I was told that apparently there was an electrical problem at the farm which is why their fryers and other equipment would not work and why everything got behind, so what happened was not really the vendors fault this year.

I usually also try to buy a few beers from Starpoint over the weekend also, just to support them so they keep coming back, even though I also bring my own.

The bottom line is that one of the coolest things about ProgDay is that you can bring your own food / drink if you want, which is one of the things that makes the festival unique.

Neil
    This year I stopped at the Food Lion close to Storybook Farm, and discovered a Subway in the same shopping center, and it was open at 9 am on Sunday! Picked up a couple of 6" subs for the wife and I and stuck them in my cooler. The only problem was that Food Lion was out of ice! We had to drive into Carrboro to Hairy Teeters to get ice.

I usually bring enough snacks to make a difference if there are food supply issues.
    Food Lion had some premade sandwiches Sunday that I and several others took advantage of.
    I did get a strawberry shortcake from the vendors that was pretty good.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    We had to wait for those tacos and quesadillas on Sat, but not on Sunday. I thought they were very good. For other food in the area near the Comfort, PDQ had some top shelf salads and I love NY Pizza was way beyond expectations. The sauce on that pizza was in a class by itself and I have had NY pizza in NY and CT, and MD. It’s not just about thin crust, it’s about a crust that has a good yeast flavor. Low fat mozzarella sucks, but this is one had flavorful cheese. BTW, those afraid of fat should be aware that consuming fat cause the liver to stop producing bad cholesterol in the blood.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    This year I stopped at the Food Lion close to Storybook Farm, and discovered a Subway in the same shopping center, and it was open at 9 am on Sunday! Picked up a couple of 6" subs for the wife and I and stuck them in my cooler. The only problem was that Food Lion was out of ice! We had to drive into Carrboro to Hairy Teeters to get ice.
    That sometimes happens at Food Lion. They have a supply of ice for the weekend, but a good chunk of the ProgDay audience stops there on their way out to Storybook, so they sometimes run out. I was able to get ice Sunday morning (we were there about 10AM), but they were running low then.

Banned
    I was a bit disappointed that my Comfort room fridge didn’t have a small freezer compartment. I use blue ice blocks in my cooler and had to use their ice machines.

^ I was surprised that mine didn't have a thermostat to regulate the temperature.

Speaking of the Comfort Inn...

The room I was in had a pretty foul odor. After 5 minutes or so, I no longer noticed it - unless I left the room and returned. I was on the first floor. I asked a friend who was on the third flood, and he said his room was a bit rank, too. I didn't think about it in time, but I should have checked to see if it was the same odor.

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

thanks!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    Speaking of the Comfort Inn...

The room I was in had a pretty foul odor. After 5 minutes or so, I no longer noticed it - unless I left the room and returned. I was on the first floor. I asked a friend who was on the third flood, and he said his room was a bit rank, too. I didn't think about it in time, but I should have checked to see if it was the same odor.

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

thanks!
    Check with Ed - could have been farting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Check with Ed - could have been farting.
    Definitely some weed smoking going. Good that no explosion occurred

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    They had ice in the back but there was only one cashier there early so she couldn't bring more out.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

No weird orders in my room, and happy to have been on the ground floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Definitely some weed smoking going. Good that no explosion occurred
    I definitely smelled weed
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They had ice in the back but there was only one cashier there early so she couldn't bring more out.
    I had the same experience
    Ian