Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Word On ProgDay 2022?

There were about six of us beer snobs that got together a couple of times in between sets. We just stood around one end of a picnic table in the covered pavillion and shared beer. Nothing formal. Good beer (even not so good - I do enjoy a cold Bud Light with lime after a few hours weeding the garden) and good friends. Please join in, Mark.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    There were about six of us beer snobs that got together a couple of times in between sets. We just stood around one end of a picnic table in the covered pavillion and shared beer. Nothing formal. Good beer (even not so good - I do enjoy a cold Bud Light with lime after a few hours weeding the garden) and good friends. Please join in, Mark.
    I said to a friend who had a can, “Coors Light tastes like water”. He responds instantly, “That’s the point”

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Do people smoke any of the funny stuff? Or is the focus on beer.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Do people smoke any of the funny stuff? Or is the focus on beer.
    The focus is on whatever you want. ProgDay is the most laid back festival there is.

Banned
    Progeezer (RIP Steve Kessler, last Progday attended 2019 in person) was always sharing the stash.
    Last edited by Firth; 07-25-2022 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The focus is on whatever you want. ProgDay is the most laid back festival there is.
    If memory serves, it took the lady with the flaming twirling batons near the stage for someone to finally say "whoa, easy there folks"

That said...I've always appreciated that folks are mostly respectful of others when it comes to the non-stage entertainment. It's not some enforced thing, the crowd has always just been darn considerate. Folks who really want to focus on the music are out there listening. Folks who want to chat, do frisbee, etc., go toward the back or off to the side to enjoy themselves.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Progeezer (RIP Steve Kessler, last Progday attended 2018 in person) was always sharing the stash.

PS: people commented after the 2019 Progday in which Steve couldn’t attend, that they missed his medicine
    Actually, the Geez was in attendance at the 2019 festival. He and I traveled together to the last 3 physical fests.

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    Actually, the Geez was in attendance at the 2019 festival. He and I traveled together to the last 3 physical fests.
    Ironically and prophetically, when he arrived at Comfort Inn he pretty loudly let everyone know that this WOULD be his last Progday.

RIP all over again
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    If memory serves, it took the lady with the flaming twirling batons near the stage for someone to finally say "whoa, easy there folks"

That said...I've always appreciated that folks are mostly respectful of others when it comes to the non-stage entertainment. It's not some enforced thing, the crowd has always just been darn considerate. Folks who really want to focus on the music are out there listening. Folks who want to chat, do frisbee, etc., go toward the back or off to the side to enjoy themselves.
    I would agree that for the most part everyone is respectable of everyone else. Of course there are also families with children in attendance so some discretion is sometimes called for, but everyone is usually cool.

Banned
    That’s interesting because I did some difficult research which brought up 2019 wasn’t going to happen for Steve. I started that post assuming he was there in 2019, but changed it.

Banned
    Geez’s feelings after attending the 2019 fest.

I just got home about an hour ago exhausted but feeling very loved and also very sad and wistful.

A totally unexpected shout out was given for me by Michael at the end of Morglbl's closing set (karmic that both the late Kay & I knew the guys in the band) after everyone knew that while the spirit is willing etc. for me. My body don't like me no mo'. I couldn't stop sobbing from the love that rained on me right after Mike's comments. I will achingly miss many people next year.

Banned
    Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost:
    You were missed Steve. If you haven't heard, in honor of the 25th anniversary, Michael Bennett gave a quick history of ProgDay after the first band and mentioned your role in keeping the festival going back in the early 2000s. There was an audible "Aw" in the crowd when he said you couldn't be there this year.

Geez:
    Yeah, but a lot of them also were sad when they finally realized that I really meant it when I said that my body just can't do the trip anymore after this year.

So try not to get too excited about the adulation from the ProgDay crowd, SS. I'm living proof that there's no accounting for taste with these people.

^ Sad all over again. What a good dude he seemed to be. My interaction with him was limited to online, but the stories from those who knew him irl painted quite a positive picture.

Banned
    RIP Steve (Progeezer)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Thanks for the posts Firth
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thanks for the posts Firth
    Thanks for the appreciation.

Many losses since the last ProgDay unfortunately. TJ Higgins, Roger Brady, Uncle Norm are also no longer with us.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Many losses since the last ProgDay unfortunately. TJ Higgins, Roger Brady, Uncle Norm are also no longer with us.
    Chris B, Lew....it's not a short list. No matter how many folks show up, going to feel a little empty this time around.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That's a great picture of Steve.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The last 5 or 6 PDs, Steve and I bunked together at the Comfort Inn. The room will be a little emptier this year without him.

His presence was a presentation.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Chris B, Lew....it's not a short list. No matter how many folks show up, going to feel a little empty this time around.
    In no way did I mean that it was a short list. Perhaps Michael will open with a statement of recognition. RIP to all.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Sad all over again. What a good dude he seemed to be. My interaction with him was limited to online, but the stories from those who knew him irl painted quite a positive picture.
    Same here.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

This is a picture of Steve at Progday 2019. He did say that this was going to be his last Progday and I told him to think positive and see how it goes. He replied that his health was deteriorating very quickly and he was quite sure that he wouldn't be doing it again.
    DSC02027.jpg
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Wish I could make it this year. Would love to see Nektar, and the others all sound interesting.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Wish I could make it this year. Would love to see Nektar, and the others all sound interesting.
    It would be great to see you if you could make it Kevin.