Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Word On ProgDay 2022?

I encourage discussion about any recommended stops on the route to ProgDay - breweries, restaurants, interesting towns, nice views, hiking, cheesy tourist traps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Since people come to ProgDay from all over the country, one of the traditions for some of us is to bring in beer from our areas or to sample unique beers from North Carolina (of which there are many) both at the festival and at the hotel afterwards, so I don't think it is totally off topic as a discussion. Of course not everyone participates in this, but for some of us it is part of the social aspect of the festival.

Anyway......it's all good. I think all of us are just happy to have ProgDay back and are looking forward to all aspects of the weekend. I have no clue what Michael is planning for the lineup, so not much to discuss there yet, but I am sure it will come in time.
    This is very interesting and revealing. I had no idea that this "beer" thing had it's own "club" related to ProgDay. As I only attended once and I don't drink beer, this is all news to me. And it sheds much light on the direction this thread took with the beer discussion. It's a bit sad that some folks here had to resort to name calling rather than explain that "beer" is a long accepted tradition at ProgDay. Actually...that is really awesome. I may not enjoy beer, but I sure have no objections to those who do.
    Lastly yes indeed...long live ProgDay!!! Raise a toast...skoal!!!
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    This is very interesting and revealing. I had no idea that this "beer" thing had it's own "club" related to ProgDay. As I only attended once and I don't drink beer, this is all news to me. And it sheds much light on the direction this thread took with the beer discussion. It's a bit sad that some folks here had to resort to name calling rather than explain that "beer" is a long accepted tradition at ProgDay. Actually...that is really awesome. I may not enjoy beer, but I sure have no objections to those who do.
    Lastly yes indeed...long live ProgDay!!! Raise a toast...skoal!!!
    Lovers of good beer are a part of lovers of good music and both are showcased at Progday.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Now start discussing who the food vendor will be.
    I food trucks.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Lovers of good beer are a part of lovers of good music and both are showcased at Progday.
    Then there are the alternative libations associated with the green fairy and magical plants

PS: old proggers are more into fantasy than reality

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post

I made an observation that this thread (as so many tend to do) drifted away from the initial "any word" theme. I also know that band announcements tend to be later on...July on. It just seems to me that a discussion of "available beers" would be more appropriate in its own thread. But as I say, many threads have a tendency to wander.

I make no judgement to those who fancy a beer or two...or three or four...and so forth. So calling me a "an entitled, self important whiner" was really out of line. "Wow"...indeed!!!
    The thread had evolved organically. Although the mention of beer has popped up on earlier pages, the list that you find objectionable was posted as a result of discussion regarding flying in or driving in. I posted it to further explain why driving in is the best option for me, and to possibly shake out some recommendations/opinions for my extended vacation post-festival. It was a handful of posts in a thread that (as you admit) has no announced artists and other things to discuss as of yet. Your post was confrontational sounding, and seemed to be based on (paraphrasing) "Let's not be talking about beer here, because I don't drink beer." We're all of a certain age, and have met with, lived with, interacted with many people who don't share our interests. It's a part of life. When you realize that they don't share common interests with you, you move on and look for those that do. In this case, it would have been prudent to ignore the subject matter you didn't care for. I edited my reply to include "entitled and self important" because you seemed to be saying that the thread should only include things of interest to you. Seriously, it came off as Rick And Roll worthy. Did I insult you? Yes, I suppose so, but I think it accurately described your actions. Sometimes I come back at someone sharply in an effort to get them to think, but I'll admit, it's not usually effective, as defenses go up. Oh well.

As Chris used to say, "Carry on."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

As Chris used to say, "Carry on."
    He and many others will be missed.

I don't drink beer, either. Alcohol hasn't agreed with me for almost 20 years now, and I never had a taste for beer anyways. But if people want to talk about beer for the next eight pages, it's all good, lol. I enjoy the social aspects of prog festivals and seeing old friends and making new ones, but I still need a strong line-up of bands to get me to attend. Like others, I'm just happy that Progday is back at all.

Now, back to beer talk!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    No offense but your post came across as pretty confrontational. If you didn't mean it in that way, or thought it was a funny way to say "can we get on topic?" then it may have missed the mark (which hey, it happens).
    Hey man, keep your butt cracks to yourself!
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    He and many others will be missed.
    I just found out that Chris's younger brother has just passed away. He was the sole survivor in the family and had been "institutionalized" since his teens. I've never attended a Progday without Chris, so although I'm not a definite to attend this year, I already miss him.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I just found out that Chris's younger brother has just passed away. He was the sole survivor in the family and had been "institutionalized" since his teens. I've never attended a Progday without Chris, so although I'm not a definite to attend this year, I already miss him.
    As already mentioned in this thread there are several regular audience members and crew members who are no longer with us. The prog audience is not getting any younger. I do remember Chris talking about his brother on occasion. Sad situation.

Banned
    As already mentioned in this thread there are several regular audience members and crew members who are no longer with us. The prog audience is not getting any younger. I do remember Chris talking about his brother on occasion. Sad situation.
    While not disagreeing with the statement that the Prog audience isn’t getting younger, at least the Progday venue as a family affair can continue to introduce young people to this music. It could become younger and larger, but I don’t expect that marketing will encourage growth. In the bigger picture, organizations like Paul Greens school and academy build a lasting appreciation for the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    While not disagreeing with the statement that the Prog audience isn’t getting younger, at least the Progday venue as a family affair can continue to introduce young people to this music. It could become younger and larger, but I don’t expect that marketing will encourage growth. In the bigger picture, organizations like Paul Greens school and academy build a lasting appreciation for the music.
    Good points, but the majority of the people who attend these festivals are still older folk like us. I was encouraged on Cruise To The Edge recently that there were quite a few younger people on the boat. They were in the minority, but there were more than I expected. Heavier bands like Klone, Haken, and Pain Of Salvation attracted the younger audience members, but heavy bands have not always gone over that well at traditional prog festivals in the U.S. I remember when Pain Of Salvation played ProgDay back in the day some of us loved them, but there were also a vocal percentage of the audience that thought they were too heavy. Come to think of it, I heard some of the same complaints on the boat.

I remember when Pain Of Salvation played ProgDay back in the day some of us loved them, but there were also a vocal percentage of the audience that thought they were too heavy. Come to think of it, I heard some of the same complaints on the boat.
    It's funny, for me that particular set was one that ended up being a gateway for prog metal for me precisely because of how few "metal tropes" were present in their performance. And I wasn't aware of the discontent at the time, but I'm not surprised to hear that it was there.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

It's funny, for me that particular set was one that ended up being a gateway for prog metal for me precisely because of how few "metal tropes" were present in their performance. And I wasn't aware of the discontent at the time, but I'm not surprised to hear that it was there.
    I think prog metal has actually gone over better at ProgDay than some of the indoor festivals. This is just my observation of course, but being outdoors ProgDay lends itself to a loser atmosphere where an indoor theater situation with people sitting in seats does not always work as well. NEARfest and ROSfest both experimented with prog-metal at times, but even though I personally enjoyed the performances it always seemed a bit awkward for lack of a better word. Of course there was always complaining from the many prog folks who are not into the heavier side of the genre.

There have been heavy bands at ProgDay that have gone over well (Freak Kitchen comes to mind), but the people who don't like that style have more of an opportunity to move to the back and the people into it can move to the front where in a reserved seat theater that is not possible.

ProgDay lends itself to a loser atmosphere
    I totally know what you meant, but I love this typo so very much
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Of course there was always complaining from the many prog folks who are not into the heavier side of the genre.
    Prog folks complain?! NO!!! Say it isn't so!

Neil

I think prog metal has actually gone over better at ProgDay than some of the indoor festivals. This is just my observation of course, but being outdoors ProgDay lends itself to a loser atmosphere where an indoor theater situation with people sitting in seats does not always work as well. NEARfest and ROSfest both experimented with prog-metal at times, but even though I personally enjoyed the performances it always seemed a bit awkward for lack of a better word. Of course there was always complaining from the many prog folks who are not into the heavier side of the genre.

There have been heavy bands at ProgDay that have gone over well (Freak Kitchen comes to mind), but the people who don't like that style have more of an opportunity to move to the back and the people into it can move to the front where in a reserved seat theater that is not possible.
    Yep, I agree it's a benefit to the PD outside/festival model. Certainly I've utilized that approach for some bands that didn't quite hit the mark for me (I'm sure we all have at one point or another).

When Mercury Tree had 5 seconds ( maybe 15 ) of cookie monster, Oh My! There was much to be said about that. At least to my ears.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What cheeses are people bringing? I’ll have the usual Venezuelan Beaver cheese if anyone cares to sample it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The cheese will be on stage.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    When Mercury Tree had 5 seconds ( maybe 15 ) of cookie monster, Oh My! There was much to be said about that. At least to my ears.
    LOL!

BTW, let’s start guessing what bands might appear at Progday 2022!

My money is on Gayle Ellett & The Electromags, Gayle’s (of Djam Karet) new ‘70s-style guitar rock trio. I say this because their album, Shiny Side Up releases in a few days (CDs are already shipping), the album is great, they’d be a relatively easy band to set up I think, and DK has history with Progday.

Anyway, it’s possible!

Another guess is one of the Jerry King/Dave Newhouse projects/bands. Moon X, a Muffins reunion of some sort, etc.

I totally know what you meant, but I love this typo so very much
    Ooops...........

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL!

I'm going to place a bet on a full weekend of Marbin (one full day of fusion, one full day of storytime and a bonus preshow of gypsy jazz).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL!

My money is on Gayle Ellett & The Electromags, Gayle’s (of Djam Karet) new ‘70s-style guitar rock trio. I say this because their album, Shiny Side Up releases in a few days (CDs are already shipping), the album is great, they’d be a relatively easy band to set up I think, and DK has history with Progday.

Anyway, it’s possible!

Another guess is one of the Jerry King/Dave Newhouse projects/bands. Moon X, a Muffins reunion of some sort, etc.
    I have no clue, but any of those would be interesting choices.