Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Gilbert Gottfried

R.I.P. Gilbert Gottfried

The comedian/comic actor Gilbert Gottfried has passed away after a long illness.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

More sad news. I'm so sorry to hear this. RIP Gilbert.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That's too bad. His earlier stand-up comedy was very funny, and he still had a persona that was known to younger audiences because of all the voices he did for Disney movies, and also I believe podcasts and such - didn't know he had been ill. RIP.

This is terrible news.

Always liked him and his goofy persona. He could be really funny.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...ness-rcna24111

Comedian Gilbert Gottfried has died at age 67, according to his family.

"We are heartbroken to announce the passing of our beloved Gilbert Gottfried after a long illness," his family wrote in a statement shared to his Twitter account.

Gottfried died at 2:35 p.m. ET on Tuesday from Recurrent Ventricular Tachycardia due to Myotonic Dystrophy type II, according to Glenn Schwartz, his longtime friend and publicist.

Gottfried, who has been performing stand-up comedy for over 50 years, became known as "the comedian's comedian" "because his live performances put aside political correctness while he delivers jokes that know no boundaries," his representative said in a statement.

His comedic career led to roles in films including "Beverly Hills Cop II," "Problem Child," "Look Who's Talking II" and "The Aristocrats." He was also the voice of the wise cracking parrot Iago in Disney's iconic animated film "Aladdin."

More recently, in 2017, he was the subject of the documentary "Gilbert," about his life. He also co-hosted a podcast, "Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast!", where he and Frank Santopadre interviewed Hollywood icons and legends.

This is terribly sad news. In addition to his stand up, I was a fan of his podcast also. If you have any interest in him at all, or the life of standup comics in general, search out the "Gilbert" documentary. It's by turns funny, poignant and moving.

RIP. Funny guy.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    His signature persona's voice was apparently a complete put-on, and there are clips of him that sound just like any regular guy speaking.
    RIP

RIP Comic /Film Buff Gilbert Godfrey

Godfrey passed a few hours ago today from a long as yet unspecified illness.
    I found him a funny stand up comedian. But what I will really miss is his podcast , Gilbert Godfrey's Amazing Colossal Podcast. He and a partner interviewed a variety of guests . There were comics of course , but where it shone was interviews with film related guests , usually from yesteryear. Theres 400-500 shows in the archives , I'm currently listening to a show with Robert Wagner as guest. The interviews are 90 minutes and comprehensive. And entertaining.
    His roast of Rosanne Barr still has me snot laughing. Check the complete on Utube. Its a 10 minutes well spent.

RIP. Dude was funny af. His joke about a cheese sandwich was edited out of the encore of the Comedy Central Roast of Joan Rivers, and it was the single best joke of the program.

Gottfried, not Godfrey.

But yes, RIP to a very funny dude.

Hilarious comedian. A true original. RIP
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Very sad....I guess he just wanted to hang out with Norm and Bob though
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I saw this earlier. Sad news. RIP. Someone needs to change it to Gottfried though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

he wanted to hang with norm and bob again
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    RIP. Dude was funny af. His joke about a cheese sandwich was edited out of the encore of the Comedy Central Roast of Joan Rivers, and it was the single best joke of the program.
    The bit I remember is the one about how people will eat anything, and early American settlers eating the sap coming out of trees! And Dave, of COURSE that wasn't his real voice! No one could sound like that naturally. Well, I don't think they could anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I saw this earlier. Sad news. RIP. Someone needs to change it to Gottfried though.
    There's the other thread, so just let this one go away.

Oh here it is. I didn't think to look here at first. Anyway, RIP Gilbert Gottfried.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Gilbert Gottfried.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

Content advisory: You can briefly see Joan Rivers.

He was very funny indeed. When I lived in upstate NY I lived in a house with a guy who said he talked to Gilbert on the street in NYC for about half an hour. I think he told me he still talked the same way he does on tv (which apparently became his normal voice). He said he was very friendly and down to earth and was totally ok with a stranger talking to him on the street.

Earlier I saw a picture (selfie) online with Gilbert, Bob Saget and Louis Anderson. Kind of strange that all three of them are now gone with Louie and Bob leaving us in January.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Oof. Too soon.

Loved him, an excellent comedian.

RIP
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I found him a funny stand up comedian. But what I will really miss is his podcast , Gilbert Godfrey's Amazing Colossal Podcast. He and a partner interviewed a variety of guests . There were comics of course , but where it shone was interviews with film related guests , usually from yesteryear. Theres 400-500 shows in the archives , I'm currently listening to a show with Robert Wagner as guest. The interviews are 90 minutes and comprehensive. And entertaining.
    Fun podcast. His cohost Frank Santopadre was a good straight man (who can be funny himself on occasion) and very knowledgeable and I'm hoping he'll continue the show.

They did some episodes about 60's and 70's pop music as well. Dennis DeYoung did one episode (the closest they've come to prog) and Jimmy Webb, Micky Dolenz, Mike Nesmith (RIP), Rupert Holmes and Paul Williams are some of the others.

Wasn't he once voted "The Un-sexiest Man Alive"? Or he could have been top 3... Always enjoyed his performances.

He interviews Butch Patrick from The Munsters on his podcast. Hilarious!