Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tangent - Songs From the Hard Shoulder - new album out June 10 2022

second single edit released

since The Tangent is one of my favorite bands, i'm waiting for the entire album before listening to anything- but sharing for others who want a preview.

Come on man, it's ok to listen to the official singles that have been released. That's not cheating.

I've also listened to the UK cover because, well, you know, it's not really new material & all...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    Come on man, it's ok to listen to the official singles that have been released. That's not cheating.

I've also listened to the UK cover because, well, you know, it's not really new material & all...
    I have a feeling these edited versions of the songs are really only tasters, and don't give you a full idea of what the tracks are like at all. So it doesn't FEEL like cheating (not that listening to singles is cheating IMO). It's the new normal with streaming sites!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

I know I know but it just depends on the band for me. The Tangent to me are very much an 'album' band and you only get one time to hear the album for the first time. And I don't want spoilers before that experience. Especially with song edits that might not really be what the actual song feels like.

It's a fabulous album, a real grower compared to some of the more recent ones that grabbed me immediately. Some of the playing is just jaw-dropping and there are loads of solos! I'm interviewing Andy tomorrow, I have lots to ask him but I'll only get halfway through the questions again because he's a real talker.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

That's great news. It's been far too long since you've done an interview, which I tend to like even more then your reviews & you picked my favorite subject... again.

That's great news. It's been far too long since you've done an interview, which I tend to like even more then your reviews & you picked my favorite subject... again.
    Haha, thank you! I recently passed on a couple of interviews actually. Steve Howe, for one. Not because I didn't want to, I was just too busy. I'll be sure to take on some more this spring and summer.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

^ Cool, looking forward to that, as well as to your review! Can't wait for this album. Just preordered from Laser's Edge.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-26-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Absolutely brilliant interview with Andy today. A scheduled half hour ballooned to over an hour! Great to have such an extensive conversation, not only about the new album either! Will post when complete.

Grab a comfy chair and a drink. My interview with Andy is up and it's a corker!

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/topo...illison-talks/

The ending & when talking about interpreting Luke's bits.

I enjoyed the clever swapping of your surprise 'deep cut' reactions to an 'album cover' one for this interview. Nice! Though as I scrolled down and my favorite came into view, I knew straight away what the likely response would be. But as is often the case I find that some really great music spawns from pain and suffering. Not an original sentiment I'm sure.

Thanks again for the enjoyable read sir. Was an extra nice surprise as I thought I'd be waiting until next week for it.

I enjoyed the clever swapping of your surprise 'deep cut' reactions to an 'album cover' one for this interview. Nice!
    Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, now that everything seems to be Zoom-oriented rather than the old phoners or Skype audio calls, I think I might go for the album cover segment more often.

thank you very much for transcribing and posting that interview! Great read - I pre-ordered the new album long ago and eagerly await the arrival.

I also thought the album reaction part was interesting. Regarding the first Tangent album I certainly am in that category of people that bought the album (without hearing a note of it beforehand) solely because Roine Stolt was on it. There also was some clever marketing by Inside Out with that tagline on the sticker - "Three Generations of Progressive Music - One Remarkable Album" and listing Roine, David Jackson and Andy. At the time I knew David Jackson was the 70's guy, I thought Roine was 90's (although he too is 70's) I never heard of Po90 so I figured they most be an 80's UK prog band that I missed. lol - Transatlantic had also just dissolved with Neal leaving Spock's so the impression I got was that this was a new SUPERGROUP that Roine was a part of! Of course as soon as I studied the liner notes it was clear this was really primarily Andy's project. I've bought every one since then and love them all. And just like I did on the first album, now I will get an album just because Andy is on it ! (Zopp)
    Last edited by SRS; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    thank you very much for transcribing and posting that interview! Great read - I pre-ordered the new album long ago and eagerly await the arrival.

I also thought the album reaction part was interesting.
    You're very welcome! It's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Great interview! I just finished reading it. Some very interesting mini-rants, and a few funny bits too. I thought these were perhaps the most interesting lines from Andy:

I very rarely listen to any of our records, that’s just the way I am. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. I made them for somebody else, not for me.

I know lots of artists say they don't listen much to their own music, but that last sentence! Great job, Lorne!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Great interview! I just finished reading it. Some very interesting mini-rants, and a few funny bits too. I thought these were perhaps the most interesting lines from Andy:

I very rarely listen to any of our records, that’s just the way I am. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. I made them for somebody else, not for me.

I know lots of artists say they don't listen much to their own music, but that last sentence! Great job, Lorne!
    Thanks Jed, it's always a fun time interviewing Andy, so it doesn't feel like work to put these things together!

I know this is a long one, but believe me I already edited it down, and that's not even counting the non-interview chit-chat I didn't bother transcribing, and questions I didn't even get to.

It didn’t seem at all too long.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It didn’t seem at all too long.
    There's the modern attention span to consider though, and that's magnified by how many people read these things on their phones now rather than on a PC screen or something. That's a lot of scrolling, which makes it seem even longer! But as Andy said today, there are a lot of us out there who still far prefer the written word to anything else. I'm with him on that one.

^ Also, the site you write for uses white-space well. On a Laptop screen it wasn’t tiring to read.

Fantastic interview! You did a great job.
    I enjoyed it so much it seemed like a shorter interview than what it was. You cover quite a few topics and kept my internet all the way through.
    Thank you very much.

^^ Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's been getting some nice feedback. Andy is an interesting guy.

Here's the first in a new series of short clips with Andy and Luke:

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar

Fantastic interview! Thanks for sharing.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Fantastic interview! Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

"Let me bring you songs from the hard shoulder
    To make you feel much better than your nose..."