Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROSfest 2022 This Weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ROSfest 2022 This Weekend

I didn’t see an overall thread, so I’ll post some links here to some PE threads related, or you can:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...rism-quot-live

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ws-Spring-2022

https://rosfest.org/
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Lobate Scarp!!!
    The Prog Corner

Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew played Talking Heads show with one Crimson song ,” Thela Hun Ginjeet”
    Last edited by Firth; 04-16-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Great show last night by Harrison / Belew and their huge band. I was never much of a Talking Head fan, but was surprised at how much of the material I knew, and they put on a really good show. As Firth mentioned they even through proggers a bone with a Crimson track. Fun way to start the weekend.

Hoping for a Harrison/Belew tour later this year, it is rumored

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Hoping for a Harrison/Belew tour later this year, it is rumored
    Supposedly it's a Rundgren/Belew tour this Fall, playing Bowie.

Fantastic day today capped off my Jon Anderson and Paul Green's school of rock kids. Exceeded all my expectations!

Amazing concert. The girls backing Jon Anderson on vocals helped him, and his vocals alone sound better than in decades. This show was the best “Yes” show I’ve seen in years. There were three kids taking turns with the Rickenbacker. Billy Sherwood who received Squire’s hardware is here perhaps helping them setup. He will be performing this evening with Dave Kerzner’s prog super group. Dave (keys) and NDV (drums and played with Genesis on Calling all Stations) worked with Kevin Gilbert (Toy Matinee) on a remake of the Lamb in 94, in LA.

Paul Green’s Rock Academy used to be called Rock school. One year I went to a graduation ceremony at Cantina Cantina of the Bmore branch. That year they performed many Genesis songs with much of it from the PG years. Suppers Ready🙏

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So Jon Anderson was at ROSfest? That's pretty cool!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Dave Kerzner Band

Jon Anderson and the Paul Green Rock Academy:

Nice pics, how were the bands and how was attendance?

any announcements about next year? dates? bands?

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    any announcements about next year? dates? bands?
    I didn’t hear anything. Octavia so articulately discussed the up hill battle to pull of this mostly US group of musicians. George spoke about turning the fest over to the new folks. He has lost much weight, looks very fit. Don’t remember any discussions about next year.

It was an amazing weekend of music. Once I get back home and get some time I will write up a little review.

I don't suppose anyone has set lists for Kerzner's All-Star Prog Band and maybe Jon & the Rock Academy?
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I don't suppose anyone has set lists for Kerzner's All-Star Prog Band and maybe Jon & the Rock Academy?
    Kerzner played a bunch off of his upcoming album along with some from his other solo releases, 2 Sounds Of Contact tracks, some In Continuum, and a Kevin Gilbert track. Don't remember the exact set list though. Jon did mostly Yes tracks with a few solo songs as well. He an the kids were outstanding! They did "Close To The Edge" and the kids killed it.

I saw Jon & the Rock Academy at the King Center in Melbourne, FL on 04/12/22. At the merch stand they were selling some Rock Academy tshirts and the SETLIST! It was a very good show! Jon sounded great as usual!!
    JA Setlist 041222.jpg

Jon Anderson and the Rock Academy - one of the best “Yes” shows I have seen in recent years, and even though the kids were fabulous and had good keys and synths, a Wakeman and/or Downes would have solo advantages. Surely some of the kids may get to that level. On vocals, it was magical to have those ladies backing and/or soloing with Jon Anderson who sounded better than I’ve heard in years. I quipped that perhaps the ladies could join another round of ARW shows.

Joe Denizon and Robeone in the Beer Garden - awesome environment with birds in the magnolias chirping to the sounds Joe’s electric violin including effects and loops. Then Robeone joined for the duet with a Keytar, all wireless. Just awesome and intimate setting in the court yard.
    Last edited by Firth; 04-18-2022 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Jon Anderson and the Rock Academy - one of the best “Yes” shows I have seen in recent years, and even though the kids were fabulous and had good keys and synths, a Wakeman and/or Downes would have solo advantages. Surely some of the kids may get to that level. On vocals, it was magical to have those ladies backing and/or soloing with Jon Anderson who sounded better than I’ve heard in years. I quipped that perhaps the ladies could join another round of ARW shows.

Joe Denizon and Robeone in the Beer Garden - awesome environment with birds in the magnolias chirping to the sounds Joe’s electric violin including effects and loops. Then Robeone joined for the duet with a Keytar, all wireless. Just awesome and intimate setting in the court yard.
    I would agree about the Paul Green kids. The one slightly weaker link was they keys. This kids they had playing keys were good, but none of them were Wakeman level, and some of the keyboard parts were played on guitar. Still, it was a wonderful performance. I hope to write up a review sometime today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jjprog View Post
    I saw Jon & the Rock Academy at the King Center in Melbourne, FL on 04/12/22. At the merch stand they were selling some Rock Academy tshirts and the SETLIST! It was a very good show! Jon sounded great as usual!!
    JA Setlist 041222.jpg
    So many apostrophe's...
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

"So many apostrophe's..."
    .. - the new album by Jon Anderson, coming soon !!!
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by jjprog View Post
    JA Setlist 041222.jpg
    I bought a tour shirt at ROSfest. Thought they were pretty cool.

I thought I would take a few minutes and jot down a few random thoughts about this past weekend’s Rites Of Spring Festival in Sarasota Florida for anyone interested. So here goes…..

We were able to get a cheap direct flight out of Grand Rapids MI on Frontier Airlines on Wednesday, so decided to fly in a few days early to get a little Florida Sunshine ahead of the festival.
    We got into town about noon on Wednesday and took an easy Uber ride to the Aloft hotel in downtown Sarasota.

On Thursday we again headed for the pool area where there were more prog people that ended up hanging out with and chatting for the afternoon. We just chilled for the rest of the day. In the evening, after going for dinner we came back to the hotel bar where more proggers showed up including most of the members of Dave Kerzner’s all-star band. We got to chat a bit with Dave, Fernando Perdomo, and Durga McBroom. They were all very cool and friendly and it was a fun evening.

On Friday, we had the entire day to kill before the show started at 8:30PM, so we decided to take the free Sarasota trolley out to Lido Key and Lido Beach. It was nice ride out there and the beach was gorgeous. We found a beach bar restaurant to have a late lunch / early dinner then took the trolly back to downtown Sarasota just in time to head down to the ROSfest venue The Sarasota Opera House. When we arrived, it was easy check in then we headed out to the venue beer garden to hang with other like-minded folks, and a little pre-show music. The show started promptly at 8:30PM with Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew with their huge band. Along with the regular ROSfest folks, this show had a lot of people who were just there for Friday night. The show itself was fantastic. I was never a huge Talking Heads fan, but I knew many of the songs in the setlist and some of them are still streaming through my head 5 days later. Belew only pulled out one King Crimson song, but everything was still great. Through the show, a substantial number of people were over on the side dancing and by the end the whole crowd was on it’s feet. Fun stuff! After the show we went back to the hotel bar and hung out again.

Saturday morning dawned with Lobate Scarp at 11AM. I went into this band completely cold and had never heard a note. I enjoyed their performance of modern classic prog.

2nd on the bill Saturday was Ten Jinn led by composer John Strauss. This was another huge band with a full sound. I had seen Ten Jinn many years before at ProgDay, but it had been a long time. I thought they put on a strong show and particularly enjoyed the new material they did. I also had the chance to hang out a bit with John on Sunday night in the beer garden and it was fun to catch up with what he has been doing the last 15 years.

Up next was Robert Berry’s 3.2 band. Berry is a consummate professional and I really enjoyed this performance. He performed music from many of his projects including solo albums, 3/3.2/3.3, tribute albums, and even did a Christmas song from his December People project. We also got our first performance by drummer Jimmy Keegan who was amazing as was the keyboard player Andrew Collyer, and guitarist Paul Keller.

Saturday night was Jon Anderson with the Paul Green Rock Academy. I already posted some thoughts on this one, but wow, this exceeded every expectation I had for the show. Jon’s voice is still in great shape and the kids……..wow, the kids were just exceptional. Being able to pull off “Close To The Edge” and do it well goes to show just how talented the kids are. The set list was mostly Yes stuff, but they also performed some Anderson solo material and a few covers. Highlights for me was the semi-acoustic “America” done with two female vocalists doing great harmonies with Jon. A cover of “Kashmir” got the crowd on their feet which segued into an almost metal version of “Don’t Kill The Wale” with Jon duetting with one of the kid singers and the guitarists bringing a whole new heavy take on Steve Howe’s classic riff in the song. Over the course of the show, most of the kids got a chance to solo and show off their chops with some of the guitar dudes already having their rock star poses down pat. I also must mention the young female sax / woodwind player who brought the house down more than once. Also, the kids playing bass covering Chris Squires parts were jaw dropping at times. Overall, it was a fantastic show with the kids appearing to have the times of their lives and Jon beaming from ear to ear the whole time.

Sunday morning started out with another band I had never heard a note from Head With Wings. I like to have some heavy riffs for my Sunday morning prog and this band did not disappoint. I heard someone in the bathroom describe them as “Grunge Prog” and that is an apt description. It was heavy riff-based music with a talented vocalist. I dug it and purchased their album.

Next was The Tea Club from New Jersey. I have seen this band several times over the years. They played ProgDay once and I have seen them open for other acts several times. It has been nice to see this band evolve and mature over the years. Going back to ProgDay I remember it as being a good, but not exceptional performance and I had the same opinion about their albums. Fast forward to last Sunday and I am happy to report that these guys have become a formidable force to be reconned with and have developed into a well-oiled live machine. I genuinely enjoyed this show and thought it flew by. The newer material was my favorite and I picked up their most recent album after the show.

Third on Sunday was Pattern Seeking Animals performing their first ever live performance as a band. Regular members Ted Leonard, Dave Meros, and Jimmy Keegan were augmented by two additional musicians one on keys and the other playing multiple instruments. Unfortunately, I do not remember their names. For a first ever performance I thought it was a lot of fun. There were some clunky moments, but they pulled everything off nicely. Ted Leonard is also in the middle of the Transatlantic tour so flew in for this show in the afternoon and had to fly out again afterwards. Given the circumstances he was in great voice and played well. It would be interesting to see how these guys could develop if they did a proper tour. Overall, it was a lot of fun.

Closing out Sunday night was Dave Kerzner’s prog all-stars consisting of Dave keys / vocals / guitar, Billy Sherwood on bass, Durga McBroom on vocals, Fernando Perdomo on guitar, Nick DiVirgilio on drums, and Joe Deninzon on violin. I have seen various versions of Dave’s band several times in the last few years and I am really impressed at how he is coming into his own as a live performer. His singing has gotten much better since the first time I saw him and of course he has always been an amazing keyboardist. The rest of this band were called all-stars for a reason. They are all incredible musicians and had various points in the show to shine. Fernando was really into it slinging out solo after solo and jumping all over the stage. The set list was mostly from Kerzner related projects, Sounds Of Contact, In Continuum, and solo. They also performed one Kevin Gilbert track with Nick on vocals. Dave previewed his upcoming album with several tracks, all of which I really enjoyed. The album will be an auto buy for me when it comes out. The all-stars were another show that totally exceeded my expectations.

After the grand finale it was back to the Aloft for the after-party. Many fans and artists were in attendance. Even original Yes keys man Tony Kaye stopped by for a while. I ended up talking with Chris Bachelor, Mike Visaggio and others until 3:00AM. A fun time was had by all.

Monday we did not fly out until 7PM, so decided to the the trolley to St. Armand’s Circle for some shopping and lunch which was cool. We took the trolley back to downtown Sarasota to have one last Mai Tai at O’Leary’s before heading to the airport. When we arrived back in Michigan at 11:00PM it was only 34 degrees and a rain / snow mix was coming down with wind. Being the brainiac that I am, I was still dressed in short sleeves and shorts and had not thought to bring even a jacket. Note to self……..that was stupid.

One other thing I would like to mention was the in between acts in the Opera House Beer Garden. I caught at least some of all of them and it was a great idea for people to hang out and socialize with some cool music.

My final thought is on the organization itself. I do not know any of the current new organization well, but considering this is their first ever festival, I thought they pulled everything off amazingly. I am sure it was chaos behind the scenes, but from the front of the house, everything seemed smooth. All the shows started on time, the lights, sound, and overall production were great. The Opera House is a beautiful venue with amazing staff. Hats off to all of them as it was an overall fantastic experience. There was a film crew around all weekend filming a documentary. I will be interested to see that when it comes out. I am going to do a separate post about Sarasota vs Gettysburg, but I will leave that for another time.

As always with prog events like this they are like a family re-union where everyone has something in common. One of the best things about the weekend is get to see, talk, and hang out with friends that I may only see on the internet or in person once or twice a year. New friends were also made which is always cool too. I am not going to name individual names for fear of leaving someone out, but it was great getting a chance to interact. You know who you are ��

I would be interested to hear others thoughts on the event.