Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amboy Dukes

so you're an accomplished air guitarist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6VpLeMOVE

hard to believe he never did any drugs as I think he mentions in interviews when that subject comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEPPELIN4EVER View Post
    hard to believe he never did any drugs as I think he mentions in interviews when that subject comes up.
    Cannot be trusted in any way shape or form...For the man who particpated to Journey To The Centre Of The Mind, Let's Go Get Stoned, Why A Carrot Is More Orange than an Orange, Curb Your Ele^hant (unless they meant the Republican one), Brain Games of Yesteryear, Inexhaustible Quest for the Cosmic Cabbage, etc...

The Nuge's feeble brain of nowadays is the living proof that he overdosed a few times on some nasty shit
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Cannot be trusted in any way shape or form...
    People that can't be trusted is a whole other thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I saw the Dukes live in 1968, opening for the Who in a local high school auditorium, no joke. They were really good, and the song that really killed the audience was "Baby Please Don't Go." In those early days of psychedelia, the Dukes were hot shit. It is indeed sad that it is now impossible to disentangle Nugent's politics from his early music, before he went all right-winger. He grew up in the movement, but apparently never grew up while in the movement.
    That must have been at Southfield High. I saw them in Birmingham back in the day.

Ted's latest gem:

You see, I never poisoned my body. My parents taught me that my gift of life is embodied in the sacred temple. So no drugs, no alcohol, no tobacco and no fat chicks. Stuff will kill you, I'm telling you, it's deadly. But I have been known to chew on a Cuban, that's a cigar. I wouldn't chew on a Cuban, they haven't figured out personal hygiene yet. But I do chew on a cigar once in a while when I shoot my machine gun around the camp fire.

Big man, Ted.

Yep, Southfield High School auditorium. I was not even old enough to drive. My cousin took me there with my girlfriend.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Ted's latest gem:

You see, I never poisoned my body. My parents taught me that my gift of life is embodied in the sacred temple. So no drugs, no alcohol, no tobacco and no fat chicks. Stuff will kill you, I'm telling you, it's deadly. But I have been known to chew on a Cuban, that's a cigar. I wouldn't chew on a Cuban, they haven't figured out personal hygiene yet. But I do chew on a cigar once in a while when I shoot my machine gun around the camp fire.
    Except, in an interview with Creem, he clams he did meth before he went to the draft board to avoid the draft.

So, was he lying then, or lying now? Loads of credibility, Ted. Keep up the good work.

Not to mention, why was a conservative, Vietnam war supporter trying to avoid the draft? Hypocrisy much?

There, I made this thread political.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

About 15 years ago,Ted was the guest of honor at a wild game dinner function for a housing association. After his speech there was a meet and greet. I brought my CD of Journey to the Center of the Mind for him to sign. He refused.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Ted's latest gem:

Big man, Ted.
    Well, I didn'tknow Havannas were less lethal than Malboro, thanks Ted

As for the average Cubans, they're a lot healthier than North Americans or Europeans, because they don't eat crap like KFC or McD... They've got a higher life expectancy despite their sanitary means approaching third world countries... But Cuban doctors are considered among the best in the world

Glad Ted is no Cuban, he'd probably live until 125 if he was....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

I've enjoyed some of their early stuff, back when they were a psych band. As to how Ted tolerated it: that kind of music was happening at the time. Ted was a professional, played what audiences seemed to like, and what they liked back then was that sort of freewheeling creativity. He probably just took the lyrical drug references and musical dream logic as a joke.

Ted's later career, though is the perfect horrible example of what happens when you start to believe your own publicity. He turned his perfectly legitimate love of hunting into a caveman persona, then his whole life became that persona, and that's what he's been for the last forty years - a sort of cartoon caveman. The cheap-shot hunting, the intentionally obnoxious politics, the underage girls - all caveman.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    all caveman.
    I think some people refer to that as 'neanderthal' behavior... aka alpha male.

I'm interest in feedback on what Dick Dale has to say here:

Last edited by davis; 03-25-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Sorry to interrupt your little cat-fight, (pun intended) But the song "Journey to the center Of The Mind" by the Dukes is one of the all time psych classics.

Yep and it along with "Beck's Bolero" contains one of the first heavy metal guitar riffs (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    The Amboy Dukes had a similar situation as White Zombie, where one person was doing all or most of the work. At some point that person put his name (instead of the band name) on a record.

Wow, can you imagine if other bands did that? You might have band names like:

Brockwind

Uriah Box

Camelatimer

King Frippson

Jethro Anderson (Or Ian Tull if you prefer )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I think some people refer to that as 'neanderthal' behavior... aka alpha male.

I'm interest in feedback on what Dick Dale has to say here:
    Now I've met Dick Dale, and I love his music, but the dude is stone cold loco. I especially love the way he refers to himself in the third person, or when he talks about getting a "big fat Dick sound". Hilarious!

Dawn Eden, on the other hand, was an amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Now I've met Dick Dale, and I love his music, but the dude is stone cold loco. .
    so you think he's beyond eccentric? He talks about as fast as my son's best friend, which is like a sugar rush on top of a caffeine OD.

Only appreciated the first two tracks on the debut album... the rest is very everage garage stuff

A few ditties on the Journey suite are of interest

I kind of like the Marriage/Bottom album so far >> to bad the artworks sucks...

Tomorrow ? I'll listen to Migration and Survival of the fittest