Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music to Reunite for First North American Tour in Nearly 20 Years

Roxy Music to Reunite for First North American Tour in Nearly 20 Years

From RollingStone.com-
    Two years removed from their Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction, Roxy Music will reunite this September for the art-rockers’ first North American tour together in nearly two decades.

Founding members Bryan Ferry, Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera, and Paul Thompson have announced a 10-date, 50th-anniversary arena trek that begins Sept. 7 at Toronto’s Scotiabank Arena and concludes Sept. 28 at Los Angeles’ the Forum. Along the way, the reunited act will take the stage at New York’s Madison Square Garden, San Francisco’s Chase Center, Chicago’s United Center, and other major U.S. cities.

St. Vincent will serve as a special guest for the near-entirety of the Roxy Music tour; she won’t perform at the gig at Boston’s TD Garden on Sept. 17.

The 10-date jaunt marks Roxy Music’s first tour of the U.S. since 2003, and their first trek together since their For Your Pleasure dates in 2011. Following that tour, Manzanera told Rolling Stone it was unlikely the band would ever perform together again. “I don’t think we’re going to do any more shows,” Manzanera said in 2014. “I think our job is done. When we stopped touring in 2011, Andy [Mackay] and I looked at each other and said, ‘Our job is done here.’”

However, in 2019, singer Ferry, saxophonist Mackay, and guitarist Manzanera reunited onstage — without drummer Paul Thompson — to perform six songs together at their Rock Hall induction ceremony; also absent from the Cleveland ceremony was Roxy Music’s founding soundscapist Brian Eno.

Tickets for the North American tour — which celebrates the 50th anniversary of the band’s 1972 self-titled debut LP — go on sale beginning April 4. Next Friday, Roxy Music will reissue their first two albums, Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure, on vinyl, the first two releases in a year-long series of vinyl reissues.

Roxy Music Tour Dates

Sept. 7 – Toronto, ON @ Scotiabank Arena
    Sept. 9 – Washington, DC @ Capital One Arena
    Sept. 12 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
    Sept. 15 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center
    Sept. 17 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
    Sept. 19 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
    Sept. 21 – Austin, TX @ Moody Center
    Sept. 23 – Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
    Sept. 26 – San Francisco, CA @ Chase Center
    Sept. 28 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The bad news: they are all in the same condition as Phil Collins. Just kidding! Pretty cool that they're playing MSG, but I'll be good watching the Blu-Ray when it comes out.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hmmm...Toronto is a four hour drive. This is big news.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The bad news: they are all in the same condition as Phil Collins. Just kidding!
    Paul Thompson reportedly declined to attend the HOF reunion due to arthritis in his hands and neck.

Can’t make any of those shows but still excited to hear of this.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Would be nice if they could get Brian Eno to pop up at a couple of the shows to add some synth & "Enossification" [for old times sake].

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Would be nice if they could get Brian Eno to pop up at a couple of the shows to add some synth & "Enossification" [for old times sake].
    I wonder if Jobson would make an appearance or two...

Hmmmm, sounds interesting. I have seen them only once on the Manifesto tour, and Ferry for Bete Noir.
    Had tickets to see Ferry a while back, but the show got canceled due to voice problems.
    Don't know if that is worth going to an arena show, they obviously think they can sell it.
    I do have the date free.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Is it just me or does it seem like Seattle is getting left off the itineraries of tours I'm excited about? More often than it used to be? I'd totally cough up for this but I'm not flying to LA for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Hmmm...Toronto is a four hour drive. This is big news.
    No Montreal show huh? That sucks, and is kind of unusual too!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

I saw the last tour, and it was wonderful. I had to go to Pontiac, Michigan to see that one. Now, even that's not an option. Either Chicago, or plan a mini-vacation around it. Most likely I'll pass.

Saw them at the Armadillo on the "Siren" tour with Jobson. They're coming to Austin, but I'm not up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    That would be great too!

That would be fantastic. But I thought Jobson announced his retirement from touring in 2017. But who knows! I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Maybe he'll "guest" on the tour, like he "guested" on Tull's A album and tour.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

O goodness. Last time they played here I was in Portland. If timing and finances allow I think I will go. Might be difficult though: that's a Monday night... but I'd also like to see St. Vincent... Decisions, decisions...
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sounds like an art-rock extravaganza I'd like to see, if possible. I saw Roxy Music in 1975, but have only seen St. Vincent on television (Austin City Limits maybe twice). Good artist pairing.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    When we last saw Ferry a few years back in Montreal, his voice was not great.

I know this might be a little disrespectful, but I could see St Vincent selling the arena booked in DC, not so much Roxy Music. At least as an headline act.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I know this might be a little disrespectful, but I could see St Vincent selling the arena booked in DC, not so much Roxy Music. At least as an headline act.
    I have been wondering about that audience proportion myself. As well as how much actual overlap in fans of the two artists. I don't intend to see this tour, but I also wonder if there will be any collaboration (I can see St. Vincent contributing vocals to a song or two on the Roxy set - and something vice versa?)

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I barely even know anything about St. Vincent, but setlists doesn't seem to be showing much in the way of arena-sized venues for that act, which will not be opening for Roxy in my area anyway.

I love most of St. Vincent's first two albums, which had some great melodies and arrangements. I could hear bits of Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson, Jane Siberry, Joni Mitchell and k. d. lang (does she still insist on lower-case?). Unfortunately, the tracks I didn't like on those first two albums were the blueprint for all of her subsequent albums, with few exceptions.

Sid Smith ·
    Roxy Music without Jon Anderson just isn't Roxy Music as far as I'm concerned, and if they don't play Twilight Alehouse on this tour they are dead to me.

Definitely something I’m going to take a look at. I never got to see them in their heyday.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    When they toured in the past, did they ever do anything from any of Manzanera's albums?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…