Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When did Neal Morse jump the shark?

After loving SB's album V, I was rather turned off by Snow. It was all right but it just didn't click and the concept sounded too much like a movie that had come out a couple years before, Powder. I said to myself, "Really? That half-assed, completely non-subtle movie is what he wants to build a concept around?" Neal was obviously chomping at the bit to get out of SB and soon did.

Flash forward to Testimony. I always liked his "epic" writing style and still think he could probably write a pretty decent score to a Broadway musical -- just not the lyrics. For me, Neal jumped the shark when I got to song "Sleeping Jesus" on Testimony. I don't often cringe when listening to music but the lyrics of this particular song made me nauseous because they were so bad.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    For me, Neal jumped the shark when I got to song "Sleeping Jesus" on Testimony. I don't often cringe when listening to music but the lyrics of this particular song made me nauseous because they were so bad.
    I always mentally replace the word "sleeping" with another gerund or sometimes an adjective, and it becomes pretty funny.

While my faith is a little, em, weak, I do want to pipe in and say folks don't have to have a life-changing crisis to find themselves in a moe spiritual mindset - again, being clear hat I cannot say that for myself...

But my feeling about it is this: most religions, at their core, are about helping folks be good people, to do good. Some folks need the guidance of a structured context like organized religion to do this, and if that's the case, and it works for them, who am I to criticize, despite not being able to understand the need? Heck, as much as Scientology is, to me, a huge racket, scam and more, it's worked for chick Corea for over forty years, so whatever I think of it, it works for him and fair enough.

Yes, most organized religions are also used by less good-minded folks to do things that would hardly be called good...but when I run not someone whose faith is true and honestly felt, I can't help but wonder what it would feel like to be able to have that faith? At this point in my life, not likely, but I find morse's faith, at least based on recordings and live performances, to be a positive motivator in his life, and if that's truly what it is, then it's something to be admired not criticized, IMO, even if I don't get it or understand how it can be so.

So, while I do refer when his spiritual writing is.a little less overt, I'm ok with him and especially with testimony and t2, since they do feel honest and genuine, at least to my ears.

Would he do better without it? Hard to realy say, because without his faith he might not be able to do what he does. We're all the confluence of our life experiences, so remove any of them and it's quite possible our lives would be different...and not always for the better....

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    For him to jump the shark, there would have to be a dropoff, and as far as I can see, he's as consistent as he's ever been. Can't say I care for the lyrical content of his later albums, but the quality is still there.

I can understand some marking Snow down a few points, but I don't think it is a jumping the shark moment since it was only a dip in a pretty prolific career.
    I agree with this. He was already on the other side of the shark tank when he started. Nothing inconsistent. If anything he's stuck in a rut, but other than lyrical content, there's scant little difference twixt The Light and what he's done lately.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I agree with Kerry. It's tough to keep up with Neil Morse. I've gotten to the point where it's difficult to discern amongst his various releases. That's a signal that I've got enough of his music. I put the Flower King's in the same boat. It's the same stuff release after release. The new Deep Purple is also having this effect with me. There's just too much else to explore with these acts kind of plubming the same veign.

Jumping the shark would be Neal joining forces with Justin Beiber. He certainly hasn't jumped the shark!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Jumping the shark would be Neal joining forces with Justin Beiber.

Justin Bieber is the Godwin’s Law of music arguments. This discussion has jumped the shark.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“...Un altro momento...”-Sithonia/Confine

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm not a HUGE fan of Neal Morse or Spock's Beard, but I can enjoy the music at times. I much prefer Transatlantic, and if I had to choose one album from the SB, NM, Transatlantic universe and trash the rest, I'd choose "The Whirlwind."
    I'm with you. There were some things I really liked about the later Spock's Beard albums, but I have found very little in his solo stuff to like. TA albums are really strong though and I hope we'll get a fourth one before too long.

Ok, can we get back to Happy Days now??

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Some fans you all are not following him all the way on his journey.
    Oh gawd!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddermilkavon View Post
    Neal Morse's last great albums were V and the Transatlantic albums. Snow was an ill-advised effort comprising bad pop and halfbaked prog. When Neal went all out evangelical after that it was time to show a deaf ear.
    I like "bad pop and halfbaked prog". According to some here, that's a good description of my likes.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsnow View Post
    A bit of Snow bashing which seems to occur every now and then - for me it is the Best Beard album by some way (Disc 1 in particular is just one excellent song followed by another)
    While I don't classify any of Neal's songs as excellent, I do favor SNOW above any other Neal Morse-led SB release. Actually, the only NM album to own for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yeah, if you notice on my post earlier, I didn't include SNOW on my list of great Morse CDs. Though, it propably should be on any such list, I just never personally connected with the album. Gone are the wonderful quirky proggy bits, that leave way to a very lyrical heavy and short song oriented offering. For me it's hard to put the lyrics aside... and I think lyrically it teeters on a fence of wanting to be an all-out Christian rock album and holding back by biting his tounge. I also associate it with his departure from Spock's. So, I think the album has baggage, and I can't just relax and enjoy it like all the others. But, I think it's a very important album in his catalog, maybe the most interesting to analyse as well
    The BOLD part is what I like about the album! Finally, a Morse album I could back! There hasn't been a single song of his since that I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I might have given Happy Days until Fonz actually moved in with the C's. But looking back, you're probably right.
    Actually, season 3 opens with that episode, if I am not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Completely O/T, but completely true. Those first seasons captured the nostalgia of Eisenhower-era America. By season four it went off the rails and turned into The Fonzie Show. You had to remind yourself constantly that it was supposed to be taking place in the '50s (the only hint being a dude in a leather jacket and pompadour haricut), you were expected to believe that Chuck never existed, and when one cast member goes on vacation, the entire cast goes on vacation. And of course you were supposed to believe they were in a band and that Anson Williams could sing. My wife lands on that show every now and then and I find it completely unwatchable. But then again, a lot of popular '70s TV sitcoms are that way for me.
    There were some scattered episodes that are good when Richie and the guys go to college. Other than that -- does Joanie love Chachi?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    does Joanie love Chachi?
    Joanie love Chachi long time - she can't get enough Chachi - she thirsts for Chachi - she sees Chachi in her sleep - she's got Chachi on the brain - she keeps a miniature Chachi in her nightstand
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    As much as I dig the first 2 TA albums one thing that's always bothered me is that Neal dominates Transatlantic (which is either a good thing, or bad thing depending on how you feel about Neal/SB). I didn't bother with the third TA because I sensed it was just gonna be another Neal Morse, Christian Prog album. And when I heard that it was one, long, CD length epic I just ran in the opposite direction. I know that most of Neals devoted fans don't understand this, but to me by the time of SB's "V" and the first TA album, it was all getting very repetitious and cliche. Just the same, I looked forward to Snow. I liked it at first but then it just became tedious, and a chore to listen to. When I heard Neal was leaving Spocks I was kind of disappointed but at the same time I was curious to hear what Spocks was going to be without Neal. I was surprised at how much I liked Feel Euphoria. It was different, but I thought most of it was very good, although most Beard fanatics didn't like it (that was the impression I got on their fan forum anyway). Then they did Octane, which I bought because everyone raved about it. I didn't like it and got rid of it. That was it for me. The funny thing is I still like to keep up with Beard news even though I haven't heard anything after Octane.

I actually had Testimony for a couple weeks but I ended up having to get rid of it because disk 2 had a defect. Took it back to the store, replaced the album, same thing. Disk 2 had the same defect on the same track. That was it for me. My taste in music was changing too so I just never looked back. It wasn't only my taste in music (or that I was just bored with Neal's style) my feelings about Neal's belief system were changing as well. The issue I've always had with evangelical, Christian contemporary artists (this includes Kerry Livgren too) is that all they write about is the same topic. It gets old after a while. I mostly just got bored with "third wave" prog. I've gone through the same boredom with Flower Kings as well. This music really hasn't stood the test of time with me. What has endured are the 70s classics for me.
    I follow this about not only Neal, but also TFK's and most "Third Wave" or recent *traditional* progressive rock made in the last 15 or 20 years. I suppose the alternative has been for me, is my interest in what I call "College prog" or "modern, indie" etc.

A friend of mine mentioned last year after hearing Flying Colors, he finds pretty much everything Neal Morse does ends up sounding somewhat like his other work, which I can't disagree with. I suppose in that sense, any time he is involved with any new band or even guests on something, the sound is somewhat predictable.

An answer to the topic at hand: He hasn't jumped the shark, certainly not based on his most recent work, both "Momentum", which I finally heard yesterday -strong album based on one spin, and the super group effort, Flying Colors. I thought "Lifeline was a bit shaky, a step backwards. Testimony 2 seems like he was trying something safe, though I do like most of it. Momentum though, seems like a re-charged Neal Morse. Not sure how much input he had with Flying Colors, but I do love that album. And no, not just one spin, but many.

I never saw the shark because I don't care for Spock's Beard or NM. Saw at 3RP and just not something I can listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I never saw the shark because I don't care for Spock's Beard or NM. Saw at 3RP and just not something I can listen to.
    So basically you have no opinion on the thread topic but felt the need to let us know. I now feel enlightened! Of course my post is nearly as unneccessary, I admit.

Originally Posted by CamelogueI never saw the shark because I don't care for Spock's Beard or NM. Saw at 3RP and just not something I can listen to.
    I like the fact that he went to the 3RP festival, which had both Spock's & Neal Morse eating up most of the bill. Plus, similar neo acts and cohorts, like The Flower Kings, IZZ, & Rocket Scientists. Even Ryo Okumoto played with California Guitar Trio.

Curious, what bands did you go there to see, that were listenable?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I like the fact that he went to the 3RP festival, which had both Spock's & Neal Morse eating up most of the bill. Plus, similar neo acts and cohorts, like The Flower Kings, IZZ, & Rocket Scientists. Even Ryo Okumoto played with California Guitar Trio.

Curious, what bands did you go there to see, that were listenable?