Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soft Machine: Facelift (Holland and France)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Mine works. I have an Oppo.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yet another SM DVD will clinch it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Anyone else have trouble playing the DVD? On my PC it craps out at about 2:20 of Backwards and will only play the bootleg audio tracks from the rest of the DVD. I'll have to give it a try on the standalone BR/DVD machine when the home theater isn't being used.

edit: my DVD player won't even recognize the disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yes, I have the same problem. For a minute there, I was afraid I wasn't even going to be able to get it out of the player, as it wouldn't eject the unrecognized disc.

Or maybe not!!

Wait for more info

Paging Steve??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

No issues on my old Pioneer blu ray player.

Update: Neither my Pioneer nor Panasonic players (Blu Ray & All-Region DVD respectively) had issues.

However, I put the DVD in my laptop with a very fickle DVD-RW drive and watched with Power DVD. It appears some sort of issue appears right around 4:12 that causes the disc to hang and then skip ahead to around 4:25. I tried it multiple times to confirm it wasn't a random player issue but it appears to be consistent.
    Last edited by battema; 03-29-2022 at 07:12 AM.

Sorry to hear about issues. Speaking with folks about where the possible problem might lie and how to deal with it. Will not have definitive answers for some day(s).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Anyone else have trouble playing the DVD? On my PC it craps out at about 2:20 of Backwards and will only play the bootleg audio tracks from the rest of the DVD. I'll have to give it a try on the standalone BR/DVD machine when the home theater isn't being used.

edit: my DVD player won't even recognize the disc.
    I've had the chance to try it out with my BluRay/DVD machine that's connected to the TV that was in use last night, and it appears to work fine on that, so I can use it on 1 out of my 3 players. I would have to guess that it's not likely that a replacement disc would be different. I seem to recall reading once that sometimes more recently authored DVDs sometimes tend not to play properly on older players, and I wonder if that's what I'm experiencing. I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from getting this release.

(It was actually at precisely 2:24 of Eamonn Andrews, not Backwards like I'd previously written, where it stops playing for me.)
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 03-29-2022 at 02:32 PM.

After googling around a bit, I found mentions of Leawo BluRay player, so I decided to download that and give it a try with this DVD, and it works!

...and it's fantastic!

Yeah, it definitely is a great video
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It appears some sort of issue appears right around 4:12 that causes the disc to hang and then skip ahead to around 4:25. I tried it multiple times to confirm it wasn't a random player issue but it appears to be consistent.
    Huh. I think the same thing happened here, but I just assumed that it was French TV's fault. (Insert French TV band joke here.).

But, yes, it is fantastic. More than happy to own this one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

When I get a time machine, right after I kill Hitler I'm going to jump ahead about 30-something years and tell that guy in "12-8 Theme" to fermez sa bouche or however it's spelled.

I seem to recall reading once that sometimes more recently authored DVDs sometimes tend not to play properly on older players, and I wonder if that's what I'm experiencing. I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from getting this release.
    The player that would not recognize the disc is a Samsung, several years old but not that old. I was able to play the disc on the piece-of-junk external drive I have hooked up to my computer. It's pretty wonderful.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - CD available now, vinyl coming soon.
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

My relatively new LG BluRay player had no issues with the playback of the DVD.

Great to have this. I think Dobson’s saxes added another dimension to the band and I cannot get enough of this Soft Machine line-up, although perhaps some of his scat singing and harmonica interludes could be jarring.

I never realised there were two audio sources covering this concert: the official source from the French team recording the concert and an audience recording. The former is far superior to the audience recording (and I now realise the London Calling bootleg of this concert that was released last year comes from the inferior audience recording). It is a shame that 12/8 Theme wasn’t available on this CD of the Paris concert, but possibly this was down to the fact that complete versions of 12/8 Theme and Esther’s Nose Job/Pigling Bland can be found on the Amsterdam concert CD.

The Amsterdam concert, just 44 minutes long, is the best part of the package (IMO). The sound is very good, perhaps superior even to that on ‘Noisette’ (although ‘Noisette’ is far longer) and definitely an improvement on the sound on ‘Breda Reactor’. I wonder if the full Amsterdam concert will ever be released.

I had seen video footage of the Paris concert before. Voiceprint put out a DVD a few years ago but that release was all over the show, so to speak; it was split into two sections, injected random applause into the soundtrack to hide edits and messed with the running order. This newer DVD is a vast improvement with, as the liner notes point out, a ‘cinematographic quality to the choice of unusual camera angles’. Some of the close-ups of Wyatt drumming are awesome. I too had problems with playing the DVD. The picture on my (old) computer froze early into Eamonn Andrews and my (fairly basic) LG DVD player skipped a significant chunk when I switched to that. It seems that BluRay players are the way to go.
    You ask, in uncertain voice, what you should do / As if there were a choice / But to carry on / Miming the song / And hope that it all works out right

My copy arrived from Amazon UK yesterday. I watched the video - it was great, especially like the flute-y bits. Worked perfectly on my 7 year old Sony blu-ray player. I love all the improvisations and mad keyboard moments. Hugh Hopper and Ratledge just look so calm and collected.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I had seen video footage of the Paris concert before. Voiceprint put out a DVD a few years ago but that release was all over the show, so to speak; it was split into two sections, injected random applause into the soundtrack to hide edits and messed with the running order. This newer DVD is a vast improvement...
    To be fair, little of the above was Voiceprint's fault. They basically released what the French TV archives gave them to work with, and the fake applause in particular is in the original broadcast. What Cuneiform did was try to improve on this in every way possible, but this involved both returning to better source material where possible (which involved insistent requests to the French TV archives, turning up a much superior version of one of the two halves) and undertaking some significant post-production.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

After googling around a bit, I found mentions of Leawo BluRay player, so I decided to download that and give it a try with this DVD, and it works!
    I got my older laptop back from Dell where it's been getting serviced for the last couple of weeks, and tried the DVD on that with its internal optical drive and VLC Player, and it stopped playing at exactly the same place as on my newer laptop with an external BR/DVD player. Again, I downloaded Leawo and it works perfectly. This is a really great release, problems aside.

Again, I downloaded Leawo and it works perfectly. This is a really great release, problems aside.
    Thanks for this tip about Leawo. I also downloaded it on my old computer and the DVD plays perfectly. And how amazing it is. Essential IMO (and I take your point about the Voiceprint DVD, Aymeric).
    You ask, in uncertain voice, what you should do / As if there were a choice / But to carry on / Miming the song / And hope that it all works out right

I remember when Carl Hupp did his first cd/dvd he asked Discmakers for a copy of the dvd to test on different players and they refused and just pressed them. For some reason there was a flaw in the program Carl purchased and it didn't play well on I think it was Technics players. The company he purchased the program from refused to refund his money and fucked him over so he paid to have all the dvd's repressed with a different program.
    Last edited by Shadow; 04-07-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Did you guys not see that this is a Leawo-only release?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did you guys not see that this is a Leawo-only release?
    actually made me laugh.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Sorry to hear about issues. Speaking with folks about where the possible problem might lie and how to deal with it. Will not have definitive answers for some day(s).
    SO:

There is nothing physically wrong with the disc.

The DVD ran a little (very little - 2% or so) hot (more mbps) than some older or cheaper players can handle and that caused the 'getting stuck' issues. As a number of folks have noted, when they updated their software on their computer to a more recent DVD software reader, suddenly it was readable because their player could handle it, but their previous software could not.

So, we have prepared a new DVD master that is just slightly less hot and is 100% within the minimum specs that ALL digital optical readers need to be and this won't be an issue for the next (and future) runs of this title.

We will have the new run in 6 weeks or so. At that time, we will also have some extra DVDs of the newer edition for anyone who just can not get their player to play the DVD and anyone can contact me off list and we'll figure out the best way to get this replacement to you.

But I won't have these replacements for 6 weeks or so.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

^^ Great news on determining the root cause, glad replacements will be available for those who might want one
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

"Hot" DVDs look warmer!

Of the 4 ways that I have at home of playing a DVD, 2 computers and 2 standalone players (DVD and BR), the standalone DVD machine is the only one where I haven't been able to play the DVD successfully (apart from the audio-only section). I wasn't sure how old it was, but I figured it was pretty old because the remote control is huge. I looked in the manual for it and it's from 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    The Amsterdam concert, just 44 minutes long, is the best part of the package (IMO). The sound is very good, perhaps superior even to that on ‘Noisette’ (although ‘Noisette’ is far longer) and definitely an improvement on the sound on ‘Breda Reactor’. I wonder if the full Amsterdam concert will ever be released.
    Just noticed this question.

AFAIK, what we released is all that exists in soundboard quality. There is a pretty bad sounding audience tape of the entire show.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com