Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any TULL fans with thousands of dollars to spare? The art box might be for you.

Any TULL fans with thousands of dollars to spare? The art box might be for you.

Not me, though.

https://jethrotullart.com/

Jethro Tull are excited to announce the launch of jethrotullart.com Working exclusively in collaboration with London’s Flood Gallery, Jethro Tull are for the first time offering iconic studio album cover art in two fine art print formats to be released individually over the next 24 months.

First to be released is the ground-breaking and iconic Aqualung album cover from 1971. Printed in two large format sizes, 24” square (signed edition of 350 @ £120) and 28” square (signed edition of 150 @ £175). The prints are gallery quality giclées printed on 100% cotton rag archival paper stock and will all come numbered and signed by Ian Anderson and embossed with a Jethro Tull stamp.

The first 14 studio album cover art prints can also be purchased together in a Super Deluxe custom-made box with 2 bonus prints. All prints in the deluxe set are number-matched, signed by Ian Anderson and each print is embossed with a unique ‘Collectors Edition’ JT stamp. The Deluxe Boxes are handmade and only 75 of these amazing box sets are being made available to purchase worldwide (£1,800).

The Aqualung print and the Super Deluxe box set will be available for pre-order from 4pm on Friday 25th March and will be shipping from June, visit the site jethrotullart.com for details and updates.

This will be followed in the Autumn by another 4 releases - ‘Thick as a Brick’ which this year is celebrating the 50th anniversary of its UK release and also the first three albums, ‘This Was’ ‘Stand Up’ and ‘Benefit’. All are released as signed limited edition art prints.

The Jethro Tull album artwork came about in many ways. The first 4 album covers were commissioned and paid for by Chrysalis Records (now Warner Music Group) with subsequent cover concepts from Ian Anderson being commissioned from various artists, photographers, and designers.

All copyrights for these prints are owned by Warner Music Group.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Cool and ridiculous.

Where's my Blu-Tack?

Rough and ready loo paper

Love this. If I was a Russian oligarch I would buy all of them.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Wow!! This is insane! If I lived in a mansion /bahia vista ...wherever..whatever...I could hang or mount a few of them up on walls. It's a no brainer that it would be out of price range and a non priority for a number of people, ( generally speaking), but I also get the impression that it's market value will increase in 6 months and will be classified a rare piece and eventually a valuable novelty item.

Wait till the third party sellers get a hold of this. 😃

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Love this. If I was a Russian oligarch I would buy all of them.
    Even as an enormous Tull fan, I never thought they had the greatest covers from an esthetic standpoint. (On the other hand, I do currently have This Was--UK edition with no lettering on the cover--among the framed LPs on my wall.) But they still must mean a lot to me, and watching Ian browse through those, I must say, they really did look sweet. But you'd have to live in the fucking Palace of Versailles to have wall space for all those, and it seems silly to buy it just to keep in a box on the shelf.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I must admit I find things like this vaguely nauseating, though there isn't any logical reason why it's any worse than any other form of gratuitous luxury spending.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

The only Tull cover art I really like is Under Wraps.

The rest is OK. Wouldn't want a print of any of it on my wall, though.

I went through the checkout process to see the final cost in USD to ship to the USA.

Here goes:

Price - 1,800 GBP

Without VAT (or whatever it is now for non UK customers) Price - 1,500 GBP

Shipping to USA insured / tracked (no other options) Price - 208 GBP

Total - 1,708 GBP = $2,350.91 USD

This will sell out in Days! Remember that Super Deluxe Silent Singing Book at $700USD sold out a week after pre orders started?

Tony Levin was selling 8 art prints for $3,700.00. It's a thing now.

Looks like the Flood Gallery is handling this. Free pickup at the London gallery.
    Last edited by Garyhead; 03-25-2022 at 12:15 PM. Reason: corrected currency conversion
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "The prints are gallery quality giclées..." AKA printed on a computer printer. Not sure when that came to be considered "gallery quality."
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    F@@K me!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Now if only Roger Dean would do this.

I'm holding out for the Steven Wilson re-prints.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Now if only Roger Dean would do this.
    I can't believe he hasn't!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I can't believe he hasn't!
    You can buy giclees of his most famous paintings but they cost about what the Tull box costs each, some a lot more. I asked about the original painting for The Ladder when wandering through his exhibition on one of the cruises, they wanted $700,000 which is why it ain't on my wall. I do have a couple of his original paintings (the front and back covers of Nitro Function) but they cost a small fraction of the price, and I consigned "The Fool" painting from Mark Wilkinson (Marillion) which last I heard was his best selling giclee to date.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    You can buy giclees of his most famous paintings but they cost about what the Tull box costs each, some a lot more. I asked about the original painting for The Ladder when wandering through his exhibition on one of the cruises, they wanted $700,000 which is why it ain't on my wall. I do have a couple of his original paintings (the front and back covers of Nitro Function) but they cost a small fraction of the price, and I consigned "The Fool" painting from Mark Wilkinson (Marillion) which last I heard was his best selling giclee to date.
    You can buy Hunter Biden paintings for $500,000.

I'll just stick with the couple of framing jobs my wife did of pages from a Roger Dean calendar we had in about 2011. They look pretty nice on the wall, and I think it cost us $16.95 plus the frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I must admit I find things like this vaguely nauseating, though there isn't any logical reason why it's any worse than any other form of gratuitous luxury spending.
    Like high-end speaker cable?

Actually with these being signed and being so limited, I think they could have fetched like around £2-3,000 and folks would still snag these up

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Even as an enormous Tull fan, I never thought they had the greatest covers from an esthetic standpoint.
    This. When I watched Ian flipping through the prints the first thought that came to mind was "a lot of those are downright ugly" even if they are associated with great music.

Whatever. If doing stuff like this is how Ian wants to spend the rest of his days on this earth it is his business. And Tull *is* I believe primarily a business to him.

I asked about the original painting for The Ladder when wandering through his exhibition on one of the cruises, they wanted $700,000 which is why it ain't on my wall.
    That is probably more than the total gross sales of the album, worldwide!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    That is probably more than the total gross sales of the album, worldwide!
    I guess if you're a Russian Oligarch you can afford it but I heard a rumor their $'s tied up at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Like high-end speaker cable?
    Er, hang on a minute, that’s an essential surely??
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Er, hang on a minute, that’s an essential surely??
    https://www.psaudio.com/products/pau...gaAmpfEALw_wcB

Something about a bridge in Brooklyn comes to mind.