Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Porcupine Tree - Signify

FEATURED CD: Porcupine Tree - Signify

Review from Sputnik Music (scissorlocked)
    In a world where album names would be immensely important, where they would be more than just words which simply fall out from a person's mouth, and happen to be suitable for describing a whole relation of notes, lyrics, concepts and their entwined relations, Signify would be the most accurate one. Until we can confidently say that music can embody words and their mystical, mutable load of emotions and thoughts, Signify will stand as the most intelligent album name. And that's because it recognizes its mere communicational existence, and chooses to stay out of the game. It gives its music no qualities, no burdens to bear and only states its self-referentiality. Signify does not say a word about its content. It's just a bold statement, and one that couldn't be more sincere.

If all these sound bewildering and confusing, there's no problem in asking why. It's because Signify is such an album : torn between ethereal and gloomy melodies, between frustration and soothingness, aiming at the highest repletion while relentlessly struggling to find it. It's the sum of its ever-conflicting relations in both musical and lyrical level. Steven Wilson, while slowly waking from his psychedelic reality, admitted that he was always "in love with the idea of the rock band" because "bands have a kind of glamour, and appeal, and a romance about them the solo projects just don't have." This is the sound of a Wilson in transition - and maybe the best Wilson we'll ever get. Working on the creation of a more tight sound, while still obsessed with ambient textures and spacey tripping, the band's mainman inspired a breath of concentrated psychedelia dressed in poppier suits in Porcupine Tree's fourth studio album.

All these may sound wonderful, but what is more wonderful is the way the album feels consistent and flowing, whereas being created in a period of creative turmoil with such diverse influences dragging it to different directions. With this being apparent, the integrity of Signify is almost inexplicable. "Bornlivedie" aggressively begins the album, stating the exact, circular way of progression that it follows - from a vicious entrance to a completely strange world (born), through a paradoxical path of unity of the opposites (live), to a dreadful, yet reverent touch of necessity (die). The last lines of the album's closer, "Dark Matter", find Wilson in a state of benign completeness: " I am, I know ", he blithely utters. But before the end is reached, Signify still has to offer its plurality of emotions and themes. It needs to drift away with the notion of dying, and contemplate on this little thought. "The Sleep of No Dreaming" plays with death through the prism of adolescent skepticism : "At the age of sixteen I grew out of hope/ I regarded the cosmos through a circle of rope". "Waiting" and its two phases, with a conciliatory and smooth tone, is another affirmation on the same topic - this time like a Nietzchean "amor fati" fused with the psychedelic drug culture.

Signify reflects heavily the band's krautrock influences and their need to feel unrestrained as much as possible. Songs like "Idiot Prayer" or "Intermediate Jesus" create pensive and sometimes creepy atmospheres, using sampled voices and extensively distorted sounds. The melting guitar melodies often climax to full-orchestrated pandemoniums, or act like bridges to more rythmic tunes, like the addictive "Sever". Wilson's lyrical edge still shines through all these experimentation, surpassing the album's dark mood, managing to be critical, sarcastic and sometimes prophetic, while working on themes like death (as mentioned before) or postmodern social addictions. "Every Home is Wired" is a perfect example of the latter.

From its first note to its relaxed rather than dramatic closure, Signify cannot be characterized as a sad or joyous album. It strangely emits hope though its' overall mood is dark. It smiles cynically while dealing with subjects as death and loss. Its mocking nature is transcendental, to the extent of self-sarcasm. Either way, Porcupine Tree know it: This has become a full time career.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I love this CD. It's particularily moody - and really takes you on a trip. Great stuff.

Strong album.

A lot of the featured CDs recently have been my favourites by the band...and this is another one. I love dark and moody and this CD has it in spades. Dark Matter is one of those songs that I completely lose myself in. I struggle to keep my eyes open during the song as I let my mind wander and have the music take total control of my body.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Banned
    I love this CD, but I haven't listened to it in a while since I got other PT CDs and Storm Corrosion. A DJ from KLOS nsmed Jim Ladd used to play Waiting Phase One and Every Home Is Wired on his radio show. Those two, plus Sever and Dark Matter are my faves from this album.

Their last truly good album, IMHO. And the one to set the trail for just about everything they did since then. There were nice things on all following releases, but the records themselves were overall uneven.

The last two Wilson albums are OK, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I love it. This and Stupid Dream are my favorites, but I love them all.

I dig it too.

WOOT! Probably still my favorite PT album, though that might be cuz this was when I discovered them. I think Stupid Dream may be an overall better collection of songs (arguably SW's best songwriting ever), though as an album this is the one I'll take to that desert island. I'll never get tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    WOOT! Probably still my favorite PT album, though that might be cuz this was when I discovered them. I think Stupid Dream may be an overall better collection of songs (arguably SW's best songwriting ever), though as an album this is the one I'll take to that desert island. I'll never get tired of it.
    Word. Same on all counts here.
    Those were definitely some great years!
    First gig I got to see them live on was the Stupid Dream tour. There was probably less than 50 people at The Knitting Factory in NYC. Loved it!

The first time I saw them live was in 1999, and this was their latest album I had listened to. Too bad I missed out on Stupid Dream before I saw them, it's a highlight along with Lightbulb Sun.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Their last truly good album, IMHO. And the one to set the trail for just about everything they did since then.
    Yeah, I think I camt tp PT with Sky Moves Sideways and then got this one upon release time... I really prefer SMS, but these two albums azre so different it's difficult to compare

I do agree with you (last good album), though it didn't stop me from getting rid of both albums (got nothing from Wilson at all) I still listen to his stuff (well some, anyway) by borrowing from my library system

From his albums since, I have best memories from Lightbulb Sun and Blank Planet

Saw them live twice, btw
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This is the Porcupine Tree that I really liked and was sorry they moved in a harder direction. "Waiting One & Two" are just plain great.

I get way more mileage out of this era than the latter 3 P Tree releases. To me, this one to IA are PT are their best.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

i never got into porcupine tree to be honest i like deadwing but everything else i heard did me no justice i like wilsons blackfield 2 his solo cds 1st solo and newest did notl ike grace for drowning

My first P Tree purchase, and still my favorite--though I've not heard anything prior to this, and only have Fear...and Deadwing. I should probably explore the earlier stuff, as I'm not totally enamored of the later, heavier stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I've not heard anything prior to this, and only have Fear...and Deadwing. I should probably explore the earlier stuff, as I'm not totally enamored of the later, heavier stuff.
    Get thee to Up the Downstair and The Sky Moves Sideways post-haste!

It's a classic but it pales compared to what came after it. The guy who said it's their last great album probably hasn't heard Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and In Asentia. Those three are their best by a country mile(imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It's a classic but it pales compared to what came after it. The guy who said it's their last great album probably hasn't heard Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and In Asentia.
    I'm "that guy" and yes, I have heard those three titles. I kept In Absentia, the other two I got rid of.

I was a follower of PT from the very beginning, and kept with them (i.e. him) until complete stagnation set in. And FWIW, I can't see what's either "heavy" or "progressive" about later era PT; highly templative and unimaginative indie-metal, little more to my ears.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Musically PT has travelled through a few different phases, and it's no wonder that there's some polarization among fans.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I kept In Absentia, the other two I got rid of.

Really? Just wondering why. Sure, they are more song oriented but they are really great and probably my two favorites. I don't understand how someone can think they are crap or even bad enough to get rid of. Maybe you only listen to pure prog rock? I'd even be willing to say that they aren't true prog(whatever that means)but that in and of itself doesn't make them not valid by any stretch.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My favourite and I like all the eras but this one is the best.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Musically PT has travelled through a few different phases, and it's no wonder that there's some polarization among fans.

Yep, similar to Marillion that way but even more so with PT.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    There's always something worthwhile on all the PT albums. Although, I'm a fan that likes dark and doesn't mind the heavier bits on the latter albums.

Originally Posted by strawberrybrick

Yep, similar to Marillion that way but even more so with PT.

I'd like to think, perhaps unrealistically, that I'm not the only PE member who has a deep appreciation for the early ambient, atmospheric PT as well as the grittier, harder-edged PT of latter years.
    In addition, in one of my first posts on PE some time ago, I went on the record as a fan of both the neo-prog of 80's Marillion and the band they (seemingly) became on 1994's Brave.

Anyway, I really ought to give PT's first three albums a spin, since I've been listening to Signify nearly as much (if not more) than anything else I own. Come to think of it, I own every PT studio release with the exception of Up the Downstair (including a disc of early demo material titled On the Sunday of Life).
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold