Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The 2022 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Jaylon Ferguson died from the combined effects of fentanyl and cocaine, according to medical examiners on Friday.

Fucking idiot.
    Fentanyl is going to permeate more and more of society as it is a cheap way to "cut" drugs. Sad.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Interesting analysis of the forthcoming Deshaun Watson decision from former lawyer Mike Florio. Includes analysis of the process, as well as where things may be heading. Worth your time if you have an interest in the story.

USeFuL championship now live on Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    USeFuL championship now live on Fox.
    Caught the 4th quarter. Pretty good game. It will be interesting to see if this league can survive. The Michigan Panthers were pretty bad, so not much to get exited about.

I just don't understand the model of playing all of the games in one location. Makes no sense to me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^ Less overhead. No travel costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I just don't understand the model of playing all of the games in one location. Makes no sense to me.
    I get that it saves a lot of money, but there is no way the league will make unless they change this model IMO. The Michigan Panthers were once a big draw in Detroit. They did not get crowds as big as the Lions, but they could get 40,000 plus to football games. With the current USFL there has been absolutely zero local coverage since all of the games are in Alabama. If these teams want to get actual support, they need to play in the cities they represent.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I get that it saves a lot of money, but there is no way the league will make unless they change this model IMO. The Michigan Panthers were once a big draw in Detroit. They did not get crowds as big as the Lions, but they could get 40,000 plus to football games. With the current USFL there has been absolutely zero local coverage since all of the games are in Alabama. If these teams want to get actual support, they need to play in the cities they represent.
    You guys are missing the point. They're making a play for TV viewership in a league that they own, so the cost to them is exceptionally low. The other big push is on sports betting. That's how they plan to make revenue. They don't give a crap about gate receipts, fan loyalties, or local support. It may fail, but they will not change their business model to look more like the traditional NFL or what-not to make it succeed. It will stand or fall on their assessment that there's enough interest in TV and sports betting to carry it.

I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but if you want to understand what they're doing, there it is. Here's an article that discusses it...

https://thestreamable.com/news/fox-p...-usfl-relaunch

^ This.

Boston University researchers say late NFL star wide receiver Demaryius Thomas had degenerative brain disease CTE

Demaryius Thomas had the degenerative brain disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy or CTE, which is linked to repeated blows to the head, according to an announcement Tuesday by doctors..
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    You guys are missing the point. They're making a play for TV viewership in a league that they own, so the cost to them is exceptionally low. The other big push is on sports betting. That's how they plan to make revenue. They don't give a crap about gate receipts, fan loyalties, or local support. It may fail, but they will not change their business model to look more like the traditional NFL or what-not to make it succeed. It will stand or fall on their assessment that there's enough interest in TV and sports betting to carry it.

I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but if you want to understand what they're doing, there it is. Here's an article that discusses it...

Interesting article and thanks for posting. I have watched a few Michigan Panthers games this year. The quality of football has not been all that great and it still seems weird watching games in empty stadiums, but the article explains what Fox is trying to do. It will be interesting to see what happens when the XFL comes back next spring.

^ It wasn't great football, but it was competitive, so for me was entertaining.

I hope it can hang on.

^ Less overhead. No travel costs.
    Yeah, I get that, but there's no way this league will take off when there's no local engagement.

I was a big fan of the Philadelphia Stars back in the day, but I couldn't tell you anything about them now. There's no local coverage.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    They don't give a crap about gate receipts, fan loyalties, or local support. It may fail, but they will not change their business model to look more like the traditional NFL or what-not to make it succeed. It will stand or fall on their assessment that there's enough interest in TV and sports betting to carry it.

This is idiotic.

This is idiotic.
    Well, so says you. Fox put a lot of thought into this, and they're not alone in considering ventures such as this one. At its center is really sports betting, which is an unbelievably huge market and predicted to get even more unbelievably huge. With new broadcast technology that allows incredibly low latency datacasting, you can set up bets on all kinds of short-term situations and avoid the issues of the broadcast delay that allows bettors to game the system currently. That opens up huge possibilities for non-traditional revenue streams.

Is it a gamble? Sure. Is it idiotic? No, and you're likely to see more attempts to do things like this in the future, whether this succeeds or fails. This is a giant laboratory, or field test, and they'll learn a lot even if it isn't profitable quickly enough to survive.

To understand this, you have to change your mindset about how they're trying to define success. I don't personally give a crap about whether they succeed or fail. I don't gamble, and I've backed way off of most football, and I surely don't need another league to waste my time with. I do, however, know something about some of the technologies behind it, and some of the thinking that is driving traditional broadcasters into spaces like this. They might well fail, but they're not idiots, they're simply trying something radically different.

Bill

It's idiotic.

No league can sustain itself on betting alone. Professional sports are nothing without fans. And you're not creating fans when you have no local engagement.

The Browns have traded Baker Mayfield to the Panthers for a conditional 2024 5th-round pick.

The Browns have traded Baker Mayfield to the Panthers for a conditional 2024 5th-round pick.
    [sarcasm on]Oh no. What ever will happen to Sam Darnold?[/sarcasm off]
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Phew
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Phew

Our long national nightmare is over.

Our long national nightmare is over.
    I think it's just beginning.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I think it's just beginning.
    I think you're wrong.

Does that mean he is evicted?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence