Page 39 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2022 NFL Discussion Thread

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Thanksgiving Day means Detroit Lions football. It's an almost 100 year old tradition. Don't watch it you don't want to. I don't like the Macy's Parade so, I don't watch it.

yea I'm all for weird traditions rooted in a time from which very few people are actually alive anymore. I mean that sincerely too. the Lions Thanksgiving game is a cool thing. having 3 games on is a bit much but the NFL has seemed to take a "screw you, you'll watch it" mentality these days. if nothing else its something to do while you avoid your family
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

But dallas brings the $$$$ and the eyeballs. That's what NBC cares about the most.
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that NFL viewership is at a record level this year. That can't be from Casual Fan tuning in to see the Cowboys. That mismatch they broadcast in Primetime last night probably bled viewership the entire 2nd half. Now, a football junkie like me is going to watch anything. Hell, I watch the USFL. But if they had Bengals-Chiefs in Primetime, viewers would have been able to watch both that game and the Dolphins-Niners game at 4:00. Better teams, and more competitive.

It just seems to me that they're working on a 30 year old business model that has lost it's relevance in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That mismatch they broadcast in Primetime last night probably bled viewership the entire 2nd half.
    They could always turn out the lights again, that seemed to work in he past.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

It just seems to me that they're working on a 30 year old business model that has lost it's relevance in 2022.
    I've read that only the NBA understands the current market and how to exploit it. I love baseball but MLB has had its pants around their ankles for the past 30 years.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Viewership of "Thursday Night Football" on Amazon has become a slow drag on the NFL’s overall numbers through Week 8, with average viewership now down 5% after being up earlier in the season. All NFL games are averaging 15.7 million viewers to date, down from 16.5 million at the same point in 2021 (which also was the best start for the NFL since 2015). Compared to two years earlier, however, the NFL is up 4% -- even with the "TNF" move.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...ll-Amazon.aspx

^ The TNF numbers just reinforces the point I'm making regarding putting top team/competitive games in Prime Time. Most of the TNF games have been 🐕 dogs this year. Even the announcers have poked fun at it. To be fair, however, TNF is on Amazon Prime this year, and fewer people have access to that than have access to NFL Network or whichever major network was broadcasting it, so that's had to affect the numbers.

^ The TNF numbers just reinforces the point I'm making regarding putting top team/competitive games in Prime Time. Most of the TNF games have been �� dogs this year. Even the announcers have poked fun at it. To be fair, however, TNF is on Amazon Prime this year, and fewer people have access to that than have access to NFL Network or whichever major network was broadcasting it, so that's had to affect the numbers.
    The problem is that you can't flex a TNF game mid-season. Those games are always dogs, and making it more difficult to watch is just an incredibly idiotic move.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The problem is that you can't flex a TNF game mid-season. Those games are always dogs, and making it more difficult to watch is just an incredibly idiotic move.
    Yeah, I wasn't suggesting flexing TNF games, just better scheduling if they want it to be "must see tv."

Most teams hate having to play the Thanksgiving game in particular and Thursdays in general

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting flexing TNF games, just better scheduling if they want it to be "must see tv."
    I think they go the opposite way, scheduling the worst games, since it's the only game on Thursdays, planning on the ratings from bars, football addicts, and gambling degenerates. No need to waste a marquee game in that situation.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I think they go the opposite way, scheduling the worst games, since it's the only game on Thursdays, planning on the ratings from bars, football addicts, and gambling degenerates. No need to waste a marquee game in that situation.
    If that's a plan being executed, I'd feel punked if I was Amazon. They paid a lot of money for those games.

Over the last few seasons I see so many passes that just drop over the shoulder of a defender into the receivers arms. Does no defender turn around look for the ball anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Over the last few seasons I see so many passes that just drop over the shoulder of a defender into the receivers arms. Does no defender turn around look for the ball anymore?
    Drives me insane.

As of right now, the Eagles are 11-1, best record in the NFL, and will have the #5 pick in this year's draft.

Pretty cool.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seahawks 7-5 and have the 3rd pick courtesy of Lets Ride's horrendous play in Denver. Much better than anyone had a right to expect at the start of the year.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Seahawks 7-5 and have the 3rd pick courtesy of Lets Ride's horrendous play in Denver. Much better than anyone had a right to expect at the start of the year.
    They really played that situation very well.

the Geno Smith redemption arc is really one of the coolest stories of the season
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quite a comeback last night.
    Why can't we get a guy like that?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    the Geno Smith redemption arc is really one of the coolest stories of the season
    I picked him up as a free agent on my fantasy team early in the season and he has done great for me.

That Denver first round pick just keeps getting better. I think Schneider will parlay that pick into several more actually. I was starting to doubt Schneider the last few years but this last draft yielded 4 starters at key positions, maybe even a rookie of the year candidate. I think Carroll played less a roll in this year's draft considering his Jamal Adams blunder from a few years back. So after a stellar draft this year Seattle will have 9 picks for 2023, four in the first two rounds. Regardless of where Seattle ends up this year they're gonna be snickering through hands at Denver come draft time.

After former Tennessee Titan A.J. Brown torched his former team this past Sunday, the Titans are reportedly looking to fire the GM who let him go.

After former Tennessee Titan A.J. Brown torched his former team this past Sunday, the Titans are reportedly looking to fire the GM who let him go.
    Don't kid yourself. When a GM is looking to move or acquire elite talent, the owner has to sign off on it. If somehow that turns out not to be the case, it's time to fire the owner.

Baker Mayfield to the Rams.

I just assumed he would go to the Niners.

Baker Mayfield to the Rams.

I just assumed he would go to the Niners.
    They say Jimmy might be back for the playoffs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!