Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Robert Fripp-"Exposures 1977 - 1983" (25CD, 4DVD, 4Blu-Ray box set-DGM) 5/27/2022

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

Sara Lee is currently touring with Gang of Four.
    And baking pies. Lots of them.

When will they release a box set of Robert and Toyah’s Sunday lunch performances?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^I had never seen the LoG clip before. Thanks for posting.

And Barry Andrews and Shriekback have a great new album out, "1000 Books."

https://www.shriekback.com/music (You have to scroll down a bit - sorry, they don't do Bandcamp or Spotify, and don't have anything new on Youtube.)

^I had never seen the LoG clip before. Thanks for posting.
    But whoever was in the control room deciding which cameras to show in the feed was an idiot. I mean Robert is tearing it up and all I see are the dark disembodied hands of the XTC organist. Call me biased, but without Robert, there was no reason to see LoG.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And baking pies. Lots of them.
    I guess I could look it up, but I always assumed that Sara Lee is a stage name, though I suppose it’s equally likely that it’s a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And Barry Andrews and Shriekback have a great new album out, "1000 Books."

https://www.shriekback.com/music (You have to scroll down a bit - sorry, they don't do Bandcamp or Spotify, and don't have anything new on Youtube.)
    Every time I think I should get into Shriekback, I forget and move on. Where’s a good place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    But whoever was in the control room deciding which cameras to show in the feed was an idiot. I mean Robert is tearing it up and all I see are the dark disembodied hands of the XTC organist. Call me biased, but without Robert, there was no reason to see LoG.
    Fripp is obviously the main draw, but Andrews does a whole lot of interesting things. Sort of like Cross on the Hohner back in the 73-74 Crim, he functions as a counterpoint to Fripp’s lead.

I wonder why it took Fripp so long to work with a second guitarist.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Every time I think I should get into Shriekback, I forget and move on. Where’s a good place to start?
    Oil & Gold. This is the album that hooked me back in High School, years before I knew of the Andrews/Fripp connection.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Oil & Gold. This is the album that hooked me back in High School, years before I knew of the Andrews/Fripp connection.
    Oil & Gold is a good one for the original era. For when they sort of regrouped in the 21st century, I'd go with "Life in the Loading Bay," or the new one.

I guess I could look it up, but I always assumed that Sara Lee is a stage name, though I suppose it’s equally likely that it’s a coincidence.
    No, it's her real name.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

She's also on Sarah Perrotta's new album Blue To Gold, together with KC-member Tony Levin.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    But whoever was in the control room deciding which cameras to show in the feed was an idiot. .
    You say that like you're surprised. Clueless TV directors have been the bane of the existence of every rock music fan since the dawn of time. "Oh, listen, there's a guitar solo, let's show the drummer instead". Or if they do attempt to show the guitarist, they either show the bassist, or the rhythm guitarist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No, it's her real name.
    I have a cousin who was almost married to a Sara Lee. But she was not either of THE Sara Lee's!

Oil & Gold is a good one for the original era. For when they sort of regrouped in the 21st century, I'd go with "Life in the Loading Bay," or the new one.
    Good to know. I was heavily into Shriekback in the 80s to the mid 90s or so, but am way behind on the 21st century stuff.

My personal favorite of the older Shriekback albums is Jam Science, which has only had very limited official re-issue (by the band, now OOP I believe), and never got a major-label CD release.

My personal favorite of the older Shriekback albums is Jam Science, which has only had very limited official re-issue (by the band, now OOP I believe), and never got a major-label CD release.
    Yes, my cassette copy likely recorded from a friend's cassette copy of someone else's vinyl is long gone.

I, for one, would have liked to get a remaster of the second version of Exposure (the original CD release), imo the most convincing edit so far.

It appears that the LOG album will not be included in its original form :

"Robert 'retired' the original LOG LP as released when God save the King was introduced in 1985. The interludes on the original album distracted from the music [the miniatures Pareto Optimum I, Pareto Optimum II and Ochre are not included]. For that reason, we have included the original tracks as reissued in 1985 on CD & Blu-Ray - the latter at 16/48 only as this matches the master. We also commissioned Steven Wilson to mix all of the LOG's studio material which resulted in new mixes of those 8 tracks, an additional 4 tracks that weren't on the original album plus a further 5 alt takes of the 8 tracks from the album. All of these feature on CD." (Mr Stormy, DGM Guestbook)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    I, for one, would have liked to get a remaster of the second version of Exposure (the original CD release), imo the most convincing edit so far.

It appears that the LOG album will not be included in its original form :

"Robert 'retired' the original LOG LP as released when God save the King was introduced in 1985. The interludes on the original album distracted from the music [the miniatures Pareto Optimum I, Pareto Optimum II and Ochre are not included]. For that reason, we have included the original tracks as reissued in 1985 on CD & Blu-Ray - the latter at 16/48 only as this matches the master. We also commissioned Steven Wilson to mix all of the LOG's studio material which resulted in new mixes of those 8 tracks, an additional 4 tracks that weren't on the original album plus a further 5 alt takes of the 8 tracks from the album. All of these feature on CD." (Mr Stormy, DGM Guestbook)
    Fripp excised those parts, but added the part where he goes onto the alien spacecraft. I need to find a programmable Blu-Ray player! I can't even remember what those tracks sound like now, but I know if I listened to the album without them that would seem like a jarring omission!

I can't even remember what those tracks sound like now, but I know if I listened to the album without them that would seem like a jarring omission!
    The most significant missing track from LoG is “Minor Man,” the one with vocals by Danielle Dax. Most of the rest is spoken word/audio verite stuff. “Ding, dong, and Fripp.”
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not sure that I need 68 hours of Frippertronics.

Not sure that I don't.

I have an interview with Robert Fripp on an old cassette tape from the 80s. During the interview he claims that Daryl Hall Sacred Songs, Peter Gabriel (2nd), and his solo album Exposure were originally planned to be a triple album release. Certain songs that are repeated on the 3 albums are different versions. Different arrangements.

The way Fripp describes the project the repeated sequences were part of a concept. Maybe rearranging for some to be a reprise or maybe not. Nevertheless the albums were released individually and a triple album set never in fact surfaced. Was that due to contractual reasons? Can you explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    I have an interview with Robert Fripp on an old cassette tape from the 80s. During the interview he claims that Daryl Hall Sacred Songs, Peter Gabriel (2nd), and his solo album Exposure were originally planned to be a triple album release. Certain songs that are repeated on the 3 albums are different versions. Different arrangements.

The way Fripp describes the project the repeated sequences were part of a concept. Maybe rearranging for some to be a reprise or maybe not. Nevertheless the albums were released individually and a triple album set never in fact surfaced. Was that due to contractual reasons? Can you explain this?
    He ran into issues with Hall's label (or management? not sure) wanting him to share the billing on Exposure, which is why most of the songs were rerecorded with Hammill and Roche.

Also ran into issues with Hall's label thinking Sacred Songs was too weird for Hall & Oates fans, so that album sat for a few years before it was released.

And Peter Gabriel had scheduling problems which limited his participation in Exposure to the one song.

So the idea of the three albums being a trilogy of sorts just didn't happen because of a succession of problems.

Exposure’s liner notes:
    “This album was originally conceived as the third part of an MOR trilogy* with Daryl Hall’s solo album ‘Sacred Songs’ and Peter Gabriel II, both of which I produced and to which I contributed. With the non-release of ‘Sacred Songs’ and the delay by dinosaurs of this album it is impossible to convey the sense which I had intended.” Instead Exposure is now the first part of my own series and will shortly be followed by »Frippertronics« and »Discotronics« . Taken together these should provide an overview different in kind but similar in nature to that of my original intention.”
    * The albums were of course to be released separately in any case (being on three different labels to begin with!)

Melody Maker April 1979:
    “What I was trying to do in the original trilogy was to investigate the ‘pop song’ as a means of expression ... I think it’s a supreme discipline to know that you have three to four minutes to get together all your lost emotions and find words of one syllable or less to put forward all your ideas. It’s a discipline of form that I don’t think is cheap or shoddy.”

From Eric Tamm's book:
    As we have seen, a couple of Exposure’s tracks go back to 1977, but real work on the album began at the Hit Factory in New York in January 1978. By August Fripp had effectively finished the album; Daryl Hall had sung on most of the songs. In September, while already in the process of mastering the record, Fripp was confronted with contractual problems that prevented Hall from appearing on Exposure in such a prominent role. Hall would be allowed to sing on only two tracks, and this meant that much of Exposure would have to be re-made.
    Fripp responded to the crisis by calling up his old friend Peter Hammill, who agreed to fly to New York and sing for Exposure; Hammill appears on “You Burn Me Up I’m a Cigarette,” “Disengage,” and “Chicago.” Plans to have Blondie’s Deborah Harry sing a version of Donna Summers’ “I Feel Love” were nixed by Chrysalis Records.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You say that like you're surprised. Clueless TV directors have been the bane of the existence of every rock music fan since the dawn of time. "Oh, listen, there's a guitar solo, let's show the drummer instead". Or if they do attempt to show the guitarist, they either show the bassist, or the rhythm guitarist.
    Speaking as a former live TV director, part of the problem may be that there is usually little to no rehearsal at live music events for the Dir or AD to take notes from (who is playing from moment to moment) and even with a "camera rehearsal" (like for Top of the Pops, etc.) a specific camera may not be in a position to get the shot you need (ex: Close-up of Howe's hand on fingerboard) exactly when you need to cut to it. And sometimes it is just a lazy director or camera crew or both. Directing a multi-camera event can be a real bear and no director I know is ever completely happy with the results. After recently viewing the BluRay of PTree's Arriving Somewhere concert, I was amazed/pleased with the quality of the camera coverage, direction, editing, pacing, etc. A top-notch presentation, if a bit heavy-handed with the overlay effects.

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    Exposure’s liner notes:
    “This album was originally conceived as the third part of an MOR trilogy* with Daryl Hall’s solo album ‘Sacred Songs’ and Peter Gabriel II, both of which I produced and to which I contributed. With the non-release of ‘Sacred Songs’ and the delay by dinosaurs of this album it is impossible to convey the sense which I had intended.” Instead Exposure is now the first part of my own series and will shortly be followed by »Frippertronics« and »Discotronics« . Taken together these should provide an overview different in kind but similar in nature to that of my original intention.”
    * The albums were of course to be released separately in any case (being on three different labels to begin with!)

Melody Maker April 1979:
    “What I was trying to do in the original trilogy was to investigate the ‘pop song’ as a means of expression ... I think it’s a supreme discipline to know that you have three to four minutes to get together all your lost emotions and find words of one syllable or less to put forward all your ideas. It’s a discipline of form that I don’t think is cheap or shoddy.”

From Eric Tamm's book:
    As we have seen, a couple of Exposure’s tracks go back to 1977, but real work on the album began at the Hit Factory in New York in January 1978. By August Fripp had effectively finished the album; Daryl Hall had sung on most of the songs. In September, while already in the process of mastering the record, Fripp was confronted with contractual problems that prevented Hall from appearing on Exposure in such a prominent role. Hall would be allowed to sing on only two tracks, and this meant that much of Exposure would have to be re-made.
    Fripp responded to the crisis by calling up his old friend Peter Hammill, who agreed to fly to New York and sing for Exposure; Hammill appears on “You Burn Me Up I’m a Cigarette,” “Disengage,” and “Chicago.” Plans to have Blondie’s Deborah Harry sing a version of Donna Summers’ “I Feel Love” were nixed by Chrysalis Records.
    F***ing record companies. I seem to remember someone at Charisma (Charisma FFS!) vetoing the single of "I Don't Remember" because he thought Fripp's guitar wasn't radio friendly. Atlantic Records in the US went one better and rejected the entire PG3 album.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    He ran into issues with Hall's label (or management? not sure) wanting him to share the billing on Exposure, which is why most of the songs were rerecorded with Hammill and Roche.

Also ran into issues with Hall's label thinking Sacred Songs was too weird for Hall & Oates fans, so that album sat for a few years before it was released.

And Peter Gabriel had scheduling problems which limited his participation in Exposure to the one song.

So the idea of the three albums being a trilogy of sorts just didn't happen because of a succession of problems.
    That's interesting..thanks for the reply!!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    F***ing record companies. I seem to remember someone at Charisma (Charisma FFS!) vetoing the single of "I Don't Remember" because he thought Fripp's guitar wasn't radio friendly. Atlantic Records in the US went one better and rejected the entire PG3 album.
    Yeah...that sounds typical. Sometimes I wonder what these record executives were hearing that was so important. They think the guitar is too loud or too tame and always trying to stick a contrived sound to Rock.