Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am too Ukrainian, Slava Ukraini!

I am too Ukrainian, Slava Ukraini!

Not Ukrainian in a literary sense of course, but really supporting the nation and its people. It really hurts to see things that one thought were impossible at this stage and time. Words of deep sympathy and thoughts go to the people there and especially to any possible members here from Ukraine, and of course to all of the bands from there. From the prog scene there to all of the members of Antony Kalugin's bands I am familiar with, mainly Karfagen but there are quite a few others. Other bands from Ukraine that come to my mind are from the "heavy side of things," namely Ethereal Riffian and Somali Yacht Club. The latter one about to release a new album The Space on April 22, keeping my fingers crossed it happens. Hope all are well and safe.

Feel free to add any other Ukrainian bands here you feel deserve a mention.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I suspect that most people are not replying to avoid political discussion, but I also suspect that most of us here in the U.S. agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I suspect that most people are not replying to avoid political discussion, but I also suspect that most of us here in the U.S. agree with you.
    Understood and probably you are right. Although not Ukrainian myself, I was hoping that everyone would (in expression of solidarity with the Ukrainians) also say "I am Ukrainian." This alone would be enough and then perhaps expanded with some names of the bands from there. Thought it was obvious, but perhaps not so.
    Last edited by PCMusic; 02-27-2022 at 11:45 PM.

I agree with your sentiment. I have a deep sympathy for the people in Ukraine and for every human being suffering from this situation. I won't go into further political discussion.
    I don't know any band from Ukraine but I'm open to exploring. Thanks for sharing.

I only have heared some Karfagen but that band isn't really my cuppa.

Are there any Ukranian bands that operate more in the avant territory?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I only know of three Ukranian bands...Drudkh (black metal), Dark Ages (dark ambient) & Cthulhu Rising (jazzy avant prog). All are versions of very good plus.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I really like Dakh Daughters, they are not prog but do apply some avant touches round the edges.
    They are mainly theatrical folk with a twist, might appeal to some here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I only know of three Ukranian bands...Drudkh (black metal), Dark Ages (dark ambient) & Cthulhu Rising (jazzy avant prog). All are versions of very good plus.
    Could be wrong, but I think Dark Ages is/was a project of a member of Drudkh. I'm a fan of Dark Ages and Cthulhu Rise, the latter I think may be up thedunno's alley.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I have Elehia by Obimy Doschu (which is their first). The guitar is metallish and doesn't really mix that well with the music imo but I'll try to play it later today anyway. Anyone who's really into metal(which I do like in small doses) or maybe later PT might like it more than I do.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have Elehia by Obimy Doschu (which is their first). The guitar is metallish and doesn't really mix that well with the music imo but I'll try to play it later today anyway. Anyone who's really into metal(which I do like in small doses) or maybe later PT might like it more than I do.
    Don't have that one, but I have there 2nd- "Son". Even my wife loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Not Ukrainian in a literary sense of course, but really supporting the nation and its people. It really hurts to see things that one thought were impossible at this stage and time. Words of deep sympathy and thoughts go to the people there and especially to any possible members here from Ukraine, and of course to all of the bands from there. From the prog scene there to all of the members of Antony Kalugin's bands I am familiar with, mainly Karfagen but there are quite a few others. Other bands from Ukraine that come to my mind are from the "heavy side of things," namely Ethereal Riffian and Somali Yacht Club. The latter one about to release a new album The Space on April 22, keeping my fingers crossed it happens. Hope all are well and safe.

Feel free to add any other Ukrainian bands here you feel deserve a mention.
    Oh I absolutely love Karfagen, they’ve got a great sound. Anyone who likes keyboard driven symphonic prog, check them out. Also Anthony Kalugin’s other band Sunchild is pretty awesome as well, the two bands share a lot of the same members. I believe he was somewhere near Kharkiv, on the Far East side of the country. I hope him and his family and friends were able to make it out ok. And I think it absolutely horrible what is happening in Ukraine right now, just terrible. But I don’t think the Russians will get away with it, they’ve managed to tick the entire world off it seems. Karma doesn’t forget.
    Favorite Karfagen cds (I own almost all of them since about 2014): Seven, Spektra, Lost Symphony, Magician’s Tale. I don’t think they have a bad album, their first two are kind of underwhelming though. Sunchild’s Messages from Afar is really good too. Peace in Ukraine!!!!

Of all the bands mentioned in this thread, Drudkh are the only one I've listened to extensively, but they're wonderful, especially their first four albums. They had this message on their official FB page:

"Ukrainian black metal stalwarts DRUDKH are now releasing the official music video for the new song, "The Nocturnal One". The video was originally not slated for release until later this year, along with a new record from the band. However, due to the increasingly dangerous situation in their homeland, being situated in the epicentre of the invasion, the band has requested that the video be released immediately as a sign of Ukrainian resistance.
    DRUDKH has always shown unwavering pride for their country through their music. This poignant statement is a testament to their fighting spirit and love for their homeland. The new record and its details will be revealed in time. Due to vinyl plant delays, the album release is delayed until late 2022.
    Season of Mist has been in contact with Drudkh over the phone today.
    They stated the following:
    "Even though we weren't supposed to share any statement or music until later this year, we are grateful to get this new track out here today. It represents HOPE, may it strengthen those who need it."'

The first song I played when this all started. I can forgive the spelling, since it was 1972.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Could be wrong, but I think Dark Ages is/was a project of a member of Drudkh. I'm a fan of Dark Ages and Cthulhu Rise, the latter I think may be up thedunno's alley.
    Interesting. I have checked and you are right! I wish they would add a little more of that dark ambient in Drudkh.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanglewood Grey View Post
    Oh I absolutely love Karfagen, they’ve got a great sound. Anyone who likes keyboard driven symphonic prog, check them out. Also Anthony Kalugin’s other band Sunchild is pretty awesome as well, the two bands share a lot of the same members. [...]
    Favorite Karfagen cds (I own almost all of them since about 2014): Seven, Spektra, Lost Symphony, Magician’s Tale. I don’t think they have a bad album, their first two are kind of underwhelming though. Sunchild’s Messages from Afar is really good too.
    Actually prefer Karfagen's later albums with vocals and have most of these. Still have to get their latest one though Land of Green and Gold. There is also a companion disc to it, that is only available in the digital format on AK's bandcamp webpage (link below) Enjoy some earlier ones too, as not that long ago got the The Sandpipers Symphony ‎(3xCD), that includes Solitary Sandpiper Journey, Lost Symphony and a bonus CD The Sandpipers Symphony (Previously Unreleased, Demo Tapes & Live Recordings) (2009 - 2017). Though listening to these in a row would be a stretch for me.

Also got a couple of Sunchild's albums: Messages from Afar: the Division and Illusion of Time and The Gnomon (2cd Lim​.​edition). Meant to explore more of Sunchild's albums but never got to it. To be honest Kalugin's output is quite overwhelming and it is tuff to get to it. Already buying way more CDs than I can "digest," not that I am complaining

https://antonykalugin.bandcamp.com/music

I believe he was somewhere near Kharkiv, on the Far East side of the country. I hope him and his family and friends were able to make it out ok. And I think it absolutely horrible what is happening in Ukraine right now, just terrible. But I don’t think the Russians will get away with it, they’ve managed to tick the entire world off it seems. Karma doesn’t forget. Peace in Ukraine!!!!
    Really hope they are all O.K., especially being in the age men are called to arms. Would not blame all Russians though as many protest this war, hopefully including all of the members of bands from there that we love. Seems it is all doing of one "madman" and his elites. Let there be peace!

... and the last Karfagen's album:

Yes I should clarify, for I do not wish to blame all Russians. I should’ve said “Putin will not get away with this......etc. “ A “madman” indeed! I really have no issue with the Russian people themselves, it seems many of them don’t like Putin and his little adventure war either.
    I too like Sunchild’s the Gnomon album,it does seem to have a heavy Porcupine Tree vibe in some parts. The other Sunchild albums I have are the Invisible Line, which has a great modern Prog sound, a bit more structured songs than some Karfagen material, and it even ventures into Miles Davis style jazz territory at one point.
    Also have Sunchild’s the Wrap, and As Far As the Eye Can See, but haven’t pulled those out in a while. My understanding is that Karfagen is mostly like a tribute, love letter to classic ‘’70’s Prog, whereas Sunchild encompasses more modern sounds. I thought about grabbing that Sandpiper’s Symphony three disc, but I already have those two albums, and something else on my Prog must-have list bumped it off. Reason I mentioned Kharkiv is I believe that Kalugin / Karfagen is HQ’d near there, liner notes for most of his cds say they were recorded there. Kalugin’s output is overwhelming, and I could go broke trying to keep up w him! He also has three solo albums out recently that I haven’t checked out. I really hope he and his family (and all Ukrainian musicians) are safe!
    I’m very new to Progressive Ears, and just finding my way around this site, and learning how to post. Peace!!
    (I was trying to respond to PCMusic, but couldn’t figure out how to do that. )
    Last edited by Tanglewood Grey; 03-01-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Some pundits ask "What are Putin's advisors telling him?" Simple: exactly what he wants to hear, and being lambasted for not telling him exactly what he wants to hear.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Looking over my collection, I found that this is the one Ukrainian band that stands out for me. Cthulhu Rise are an excellent avant/jazz/metal band.

Neil

The sale of Ukranian vodka has gone up tremendously in Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The sale of Ukranian vodka has gone up tremendously in Denmark.
    In the US, they're pouring Russian vodka into the sewers. Trouble is, less than 20% of vodka in the US is Russian. Even the Russian isn't Russian. (I'm no expert, just repeating a news report.)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    In the US, they're pouring Russian vodka into the sewers. Trouble is, less than 20% of vodka in the US is Russian. Even the Russian isn't Russian. (I'm no expert, just repeating a news report.)
    Many bars in my area have put a ban on selling Russian vodka, but as you say, I think most vodka in the U.S. is made outside of Russia.

Oh I absolutely love Karfagen, they’ve got a great sound. Anyone who likes keyboard driven symphonic prog, check them out. Also Anthony Kalugin’s other band Sunchild is pretty awesome as well, the two bands share a lot of the same members. I believe he was somewhere near Kharkiv, on the Far East side of the country. I hope him and his family and friends were able to make it out ok. And I think it absolutely horrible what is happening in Ukraine right now, just terrible. But I don’t think the Russians will get away with it, they’ve managed to tick the entire world off it seems. Karma doesn’t forget.
    Favorite Karfagen cds (I own almost all of them since about 2014): Seven, Spektra, Lost Symphony, Magician’s Tale. I don’t think they have a bad album, their first two are kind of underwhelming though. Sunchild’s Messages from Afar is really good too. Peace in Ukraine!!!!
    He's posted a couple of updates on Bandcamp:

https://antonykalugin.bandcamp.com/community

Recent albums by Ukrainian bands
    https://newprogreleases.blogspot.com.../label/Ukraine

I'm in Ukraine near Kyiv, about 50-60 km from the places were Russians attack Kyiv (on the opposite side of the city). If anyone has questions, I can answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    Recent albums by Ukrainian bands
    https://newprogreleases.blogspot.com.../label/Ukraine

I'm in Ukraine near Kyiv, about 50-60 km from the places were Russians attack Kyiv (on the opposite side of the city). If anyone has questions, I can answer.
    Thanks for that list. I was unaware of many of those bands.

Stay safe as possible. I think most of us here in the west have been following the situation on TV and hope for the best.

I wouldn't trust TVs, they usually mostly show propaganda)) There is a lot of lies and fakes from both sides (maybe just as at any war). From military point of view, there is a neutral description here https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...nflict-updates