Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50-CD box set of Al Stewart

50-CD box set of Al Stewart

Madfish strikes again! I love the idea of having all 21 remastered studio albums in one spot, along with the rarities. Can't imagine I would ever get through all 18 live albums, but yet this is a mighty attractive set.

Put together with the full co-operation of Al and his management, the full list of contents is as follows:

* 21 DISCS OF NEWLY REMASTERED STUDIO ALBUMS
    * 18 DISCS OF LIVE RECORDINGS
    * 3 DISCS OF BBC SESSIONS FROM 1965 - 1972
    * 8 DISCS OF DEMOS, OUTTAKES & RARITIES FROM 1964 - 2008
    *160 PAGE HARDBACK COFFEE TABLE BOOK FEATURING COMPREHENSIVE LINER NOTES, AN IN DEPTH INTERVIEW WITH AL STEWART AND RARE PHOTOGRAPHS, MEMORABILIA AND EPHEMERA
    * 24 PAGE COLLECTORS' BOOK DETAILING ALL THE RARE RECORDINGS IN THE SET
    * YEAR OF THE CAT PRINT INDIVIDUALLY SIGNED BY COLIN ELGIE
    * COLIN ELGIE ORIGINAL ART PRINT
    * LAST DAYS OF THE CENTURY POSTER
    * THE EARLY YEARS POSTER

Looks interesting but most likely very expensive. I love Al Stewart’s music. This would be something I’d be interested in for the live and rare recordings. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't rule it out, but I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the cost. Don't really need the posters either.

After paying about $ 150 for the box-sets of Year Of The Cat and Time Passages I don't think I'll go for this one too.

300! previously unreleased songs? Youza. BS is offering $442.00 USD.....$55.45 USD Shipping! ....oh....and add 10% WA state tax.

There's gotta be US distributor somewhere to cut down on the shipping.

2000 copies only......remember IQ's sellout (900 copies) in a couple weeks? Al had / has a bigger worldwide audience.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

There’s something to be said for having everything in one beautiful set, but I can’t imagine I would ever get through all 50 discs, and I have the recent deluxe sets, so it seems one release too far. Only 2,000 though, so I’m sure they’ll sell out without too much trouble.

18 live albums?! REALLY?! I'm not that particular familiar with Al Stewart, but unless he's one of these guys like Dylan or Springsteen, who're famous for playing lots of songs live that never made it onto an album or performing songs in significantly altered arrangements, I can't imagine what anyone would need with 18 discs of live Al Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    300! previously unreleased songs?
    Unreleased songs, or unreleased demos or live versions? I remember when Prince died, there was talk of there being so many recordings in his vaults that they could release a new album every single months, for over a hundred years. And I remember thinking, "How many of those are rough demos of songs that we've already heard, or tapes that are virtually identical to the recordings we heard on records by The Time, Vanity 6, etc, and how many are just live rough soundboard recordings of live shows?".

Did a little more research.....this from a USA based fan.

Burning Shed $442.00 Shipping $55.45 WA state Tax $44.20 = $541.65

Amazon $499.99 Shipping 0.00 WA state Tax $50.00 = $550.00

ImportCD $398.19 Shipping $12.99 WA state Tax $35.36 = $446.54

Anybody else find a better deal? Our our PE Prog Peddlers going to carry it?

This is the first time all three of these vendors posted it the same day. Ama & ImpCd usually lag BS by a week or more.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Oh, and while I was there.....ImportCD is currently running a Progressive Rock Sale.....

https://www.importcds.com/rock-and-p...774?az=2-18943

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Thanks for putting this up Ken. I always look for more ways to accumulate Loyalty Points. A benefit some don't look for when price shopping.

You might want to edit your pre-order page. There is a confusing 1st Paragraph about another product for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    18 live albums?! REALLY?! I'm not that particular familiar with Al Stewart, but unless he's one of these guys like Dylan or Springsteen, who're famous for playing lots of songs live that never made it onto an album or performing songs in significantly altered arrangements, I can't imagine what anyone would need with 18 discs of live Al Stewart.
    There was a live CD in the last two deluxe boxed sets....I was surprised how good the sound quality was.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Thanks for putting this up Ken. I always look for more ways to accumulate Loyalty Points. A benefit some don't look for when price shopping.

You might want to edit your pre-order page. There is a confusing 1st Paragraph about another product for sale.
    Fixed. Thanks for the tip.

Man I'd love this if money were no object, and three years ago (pre-mortgage) I would have sprung for it. Last year I passed on the Caravan and Van der Graaf boxes and may have to do the same here. I haven't even been able to afford the King Crimson '69 box yet. A few years down the road I'll probably get an inheritance and end up buying this for $2k on the secondary market.

Box sets these days seem to be way over the top. I don't even look at that them anymore.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

If I could get out of paying my rent next month I would definitely go for this...

The only way I will get this is if someone buys it for me which means I won’t get it. I’d love to hear all the unreleased stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Box sets these days seem to be way over the top. I don't even look at that them anymore.
    If you're going to fondle these things, you need to start lifting weights in preparation.

I have two of those little 5CD mini-box sets from Al that came out quite a while ago. They are cheap and you get 10 of his albums. I love Al, but am going to pass on this new box.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, I can totally see how people who bought those recent Al Stewart deluxe editions would rule this set out. Either bad planning or good planning on the label's part! While like most people I'm pretty sure I'd never watch ALL those live shows. Also, I currently own NO Al Stewart albums and I also like a lot of his music because I USED to own many of his albums on vinyl (still have a couple in fact) AND I'd be interested in the BBC and demo recordings. So I'm kind of the poster child for who would buy that set. But I don't know that I'll throw down that kind of money for this set. If I do, I really need to sell off my Wishbone Ash box, which was a bit of a mistake.

They should start calling these reissues "Artist's Headstone Editions," because this will be a nice memorial to Al one day.

Love Al but a hard pass

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Madfish strikes again! I love the idea of having all 21 remastered studio albums in one spot, along with the rarities. Can't imagine I would ever get through all 18 live albums, but yet this is a mighty attractive set.

Put together with the full co-operation of Al and his management, the full list of contents is as follows:

* 21 DISCS OF NEWLY REMASTERED STUDIO ALBUMS
    * 18 DISCS OF LIVE RECORDINGS
    * 3 DISCS OF BBC SESSIONS FROM 1965 - 1972
    * 8 DISCS OF DEMOS, OUTTAKES & RARITIES FROM 1964 - 2008
    *160 PAGE HARDBACK COFFEE TABLE BOOK FEATURING COMPREHENSIVE LINER NOTES, AN IN DEPTH INTERVIEW WITH AL STEWART AND RARE PHOTOGRAPHS, MEMORABILIA AND EPHEMERA
    * 24 PAGE COLLECTORS' BOOK DETAILING ALL THE RARE RECORDINGS IN THE SET
    * YEAR OF THE CAT PRINT INDIVIDUALLY SIGNED BY COLIN ELGIE
    * COLIN ELGIE ORIGINAL ART PRINT
    * LAST DAYS OF THE CENTURY POSTER
    * THE EARLY YEARS POSTER
    To bad they couldn't get Al to sign a "Certificate of Authenticity" (or of Insanity!), the signature would boost the actual value a bit!

I’ve managed to get through life so far without owning any Al Stewart CDs. This would probably be a bit of an excessive way of dipping my toe in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you're going to fondle these things, you need to start lifting weights in preparation.
    Yup....shipping weight is 11.24 pounds!