Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 50-CD box set of Al Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He’s a one-hit wonder!
    Hardly..if nothing else, "Time Passages" also got a lot of radio play back in the day.

Like many, he's an artist with a long career but who peaked and, since then, has put out solid albums that stopped getting radio play and hits. Other artists who fall easily into that category: Richard Thompson (he never had any real hits but peaked in the mid-70s to mid '80s; I still buy all his albums and they're always worth it), Mark Knopfler (who still releases consistently solid albums also), and Fairport Convention (ditto).
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Hardly..if nothing else, "Time Passages" also got a lot of radio play back in the day.

Like many, he's an artist with a long career but who peaked and, since then, has put out solid albums that stopped getting radio play and hits. Other artists who fall easily into that category: Richard Thompson (he never had any real hits but peaked in the mid-70s to mid '80s; I still buy all his albums and they're always worth it), Mark Knopfler (who still releases consistently solid albums also), and Fairport Convention (ditto).
    It was a joke - he has many good albums!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It was a joke - he has many good albums!
    Ah, sorry....didn't see it as that (damn online emotive articulation!!)....he does, though I'm only familiar with a few, which is why I'm getting the box....
    John Kelman

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    50 CDs ? Somebody be liking them some AL Stewart. Yowza. I don't think I own more than 10 or 15 CDs of any artist

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    50 CDs ? Somebody be liking them some AL Stewart. Yowza. I don't think I own more than 10 or 15 CDs of any artist
    It's called a pathology ... and I'm proud to have it!

After all, I could spend money on other things that are either ephemeral or just plain wastes, at least IMO...I don't drink (gives me migraines) or smoke (quit decades ago).

I kinda feel that spending money on music, including these mega box sets, is a good thing as they're permanent, rather than things like alcohol, which (even if I didn't get migraines from it) may be enjoyable at the time but once it's gone it's gone,

And these career-spanning mega box sets? I love them as they allow me to learn, in one big chunk, a whole lot about an artist. I also love writing about these big box sets as they really give me the chance to take a deep dive into their careers and understand, as best I can, their evolution, whether it's career-spanning or, in the case of sets like the recent Fripp Exposures box, period-spanning. And if it's an artist that, like Al Stewart, I'd not followed to a large extent over the course of my life, it lets me do it now. And I absolutely love it. The sense of discovery really appeals to me.

But even without the mega box sets, from my early teens if I liked an artist once I discovered them, I'd tend to follow them from that point forward and, as much as possible, go backwards as well to learn how they got to where they are.

Of course this ain't for everyone, but thankfully my wife also has the same desire to learn as much as possible about the artists she loves, so picks up as much as she can by them just as I do.
    Last edited by jkelman; 06-11-2022 at 04:19 PM.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't go for these type of mammoth boxed sets, but there are several artists from whom I own 50+ individual albums: Peter Brotzmann, Satoko Fujii, Ken Vandermark, William Parker, Acid Mothers Temple, Boris, maybe Anthony Braxton, Richard Pinhas must be getting close. I think Tatsuya Yoshida is over 100 if you include all his various projects.

A side benefit of the big 'completist' boxed sets is that they create a surplus of the individual albums on the secondary market. I was able to fill all the holes in my VdGG collection within the first 2-3 months of the boxed set's release last year. And if I wanted more Caravan I could have bought plenty of cheap second-hand Caravan CDs last fall too. I already own both "Exposure" and "Let the Power Fall", but I expect used CD stores to be littered with copies in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    I don't go for these type of mammoth boxed sets, but there are several artists from whom I own 50+ individual albums: Peter Brotzmann, Satoko Fujii, Ken Vandermark, William Parker, Acid Mothers Temple, Boris, maybe Anthony Braxton, Richard Pinhas must be getting close. I think Tatsuya Yoshida is over 100 if you include all his various projects.

A side benefit of the big 'completist' boxed sets is that they create a surplus of the individual albums on the secondary market. I was able to fill all the holes in my VdGG collection within the first 2-3 months of the boxed set's release last year. And if I wanted more Caravan I could have bought plenty of cheap second-hand Caravan CDs last fall too. I already own both "Exposure" and "Let the Power Fall", but I expect used CD stores to be littered with copies in the coming months.
    Interesting point! I've had trouble finding affordable copies of the last several Al Stewart albums so perhaps this will be a bonus if I can't afford the actual box set.

Whew! My copy arrived a couple hours ago, so I'll start ripping the discs into my music library tomorrow morning. The box looks fab as expected, with all the detail one could want in the two included books.

My copy of the Fripp Exposures box is also in town so I should have that tomorrow, so I'll have to spend a whack of fine ripping the high res content from it as well, so I expect the next 3-4 days to be busy feeding my Blu Ray ripper and loading the music onto my high res DAP as well.

It's always a lot of work, in this case especially with two such massive box sets, but I'm looking forward to diving in!
    John Kelman

Checked in with ImportCD website today and they have a release date of 6/24/22. The price has dropped to $369.99 Looking like I'm getting a bit "Screwed" for pre-ordering. I was charged $399.99 back in February.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Just got my shipping notification from ImportCD.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

You know? a LITTLE communication is simple in 2022. TELL YOUR EFFIN CUSTOMERS SIGNATURE REQUIRED!
    ImportCD shipped last Friday via UPS. Delivery attempt today while i went to the corner store to buy lotto tix.

Now I have to wait 1-2 days for the package to arrive AT THE LOCAL CHEVRON gas station to pick it up????? WTF?

I guess we now go to Chevron to pick up $400.00 packages. About the same price to fill my tank! (my "tank" has a 36 gallon capacity)

Another brilliant idea from some MBA at UPS....IMHO YMMV FFS

Went to the Gas Station today to get my Box Of Al.

WOW! Fondlability Meter? 110%

Excellent Packaging. Hardback book - Heavy duty and really bound....yet pages designed to lay flat on first inspection. Maybe someone here knows something about bookbinding? This is how it should be done.

Softbound book shows original album covers w/ personnel. Then goes to Concert Recordings 1970-2009. Lastly to Demo's Outtakes & Rarities....notes with each disc...personnel, etc.

Lastly - The 50! CD's are all in gatefold cardboard outer sleeves with original artwork without inner sleeves.

Posters...the usual fare.

Haven't played any disc's yet. Perhaps when the fondling stops

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Haven't played any disc's yet. Perhaps when the fondling stops
    Be sure to wipe the drool off...

A curious thing happened.....NONE of the discs play on my Laptop! They play on my big stereo tho.................and I have a portable BR player that I plugged into the laptop so I can load them into iTunes.

I had that problem with Disc #30 from Exposures. Maybe the laptop player is fixin' to $#it the bed?