Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Rush, "Moving Pictures" 40th Anniversary Edition (April 2022)

Got's it but I have to rip it to my card. Much hilarity will ensue as my computers can't access the internet properly and give me song info. It's hard to rip as the process sucks balls.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Unboxing

the Live In YYZ show is a treasure.
    I have waited over 40 years to get this tour on CD.
    I was never happy with Exit Stage Left because of the muffled mix and editing.
    this show as a 3LP set should have been ESL!

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the Live In YYZ show is a treasure.
    I have waited over 40 years to get this tour on CD.
    I was never happy with Exit Stage Left because of the muffled mix and editing.
    this show as a 3LP set should have been ESL!
    I haven't heard it yet but totally agree. If they reissued Exit Stage Left as a triple album it would fly off the shelves.

So, the wait is finally over, and Rush fans finally get the holy grail of live albums – a complete show from the Moving Pictures tour!

Oh, and the studio album isn’t too shabby either…

I’ve blogged some thoughts on this new release, why it might just be the finest sounding version of Moving Pictures to date, and how the live set compares to Exit…Stage Left.

Hope you find it interesting.

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-edition-2022/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I haven't heard it yet but totally agree. If they reissued Exit Stage Left as a triple album it would fly off the shelves.
    we got the Toronto show, don't need an ESL reissue now. best to move on to Signals....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have they done one of these releases with 2112? What special 2112 version is there aside from the one with the 5.1in one of those sets of 3-5 albums?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Have they done one of these releases with 2112? What special 2112 version is there aside from the one with the 5.1in one of those sets of 3-5 albums?
    Yes, in 2012 there was a deluxe edition with the remastered CD and 5.1 DVD, as well as a few live tracks tacked on haphazardly. Every time I look at it, I regret selling my original, as I despise the changed artwork. Maybe I'll trade it in and get the original CD again. I do love 5.1, but it isn't really necessary for this album IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Rush, "2112" 40th Anniversary Box...

https://www.rush.com/2112-40th/

The video from the Capitol Theater 1976 is a complete show.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post

The Capitol Theater had an in-house closed circuit setup for their shows. While they seem to all be B&W, they must have a shitload of footage in their archive. I saw Johnny Winter there once. Pretty scary town. My car got broken into, and the cops were, unsurprisingly, less than helpful.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Thanks! I just bought it for $36 USD, with shipping. My favourite Rush album and one of my first concerts!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I heard a 45-minute version of "The Camera Eye" the other day.

Okay, it was an earworm while I was cutting my grass, but still...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I didn't get the deluxe 2112, mostly because I had no interest in the covers disc and the monochrome footage at the Capital never looked good to me. Great show, but mediocre visuals. I've got All the World's a Stage if I want a document of that tour.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Yeah, I don't get the covers thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    So, the wait is finally over, and Rush fans finally get the holy grail of live albums – a complete show from the Moving Pictures tour!

Oh, and the studio album isn’t too shabby either…

I’ve blogged some thoughts on this new release, why it might just be the finest sounding version of Moving Pictures to date, and how the live set compares to Exit…Stage Left.

Hope you find it interesting.

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-edition-2022/
    Nice review, thanks. Looks like I'm getting this one.

The Exit Stage Left tour was my first Rush show at Wembley Arena, happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    The Exit Stage Left tour was my first Rush show at Wembley Arena, happy days.
    That was my third. I first saw Rush with Rory Gallagher and Nazareth (Montreal 74), Hemispheres (Long Beach 78) and the Exit Stage Left (1981 at Brendan Byrne arena NJ). I had already been blown away in 1978 when I discovered how awesome they were live.

But the anniversary series appears to only commemorate studio albums, not live albums so I doubt the "Exit" album will see a special treatment
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    That was my third. I first saw Rush with Rory Gallagher and Nazareth (Montreal 74), Hemispheres (Long Beach 78) and the Exit Stage Left (1981 at Brendan Byrne arena NJ). I had already been blown away in 1978 when I discovered how awesome they were live.

But the anniversary series appears to only commemorate studio albums, not live albums so I doubt the "Exit" album will see a special treatment
    Well I guess the live show included in the new set kind of makes Exit Stage Left redundant. I've just started reading Martin Popoff's book 'Limelight-Rush In The 80's and got to the Exit Stage Left chapter - the opening quote is "I think we recorded a fairly sterile live record".

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I didn't get the deluxe 2112, mostly because I had no interest in the covers disc and the monochrome footage at the Capital never looked good to me. Great show, but mediocre visuals. I've got All the World's a Stage if I want a document of that tour.
    Same re: covers. There's a side of covers with AFTK 40th too that I listened to once. In fact, I only got through half of DT's Xanadu because it seems so pointless to record a verbatim cover of a Rush tune. And the video footage has been on YouTube for years. I love it, but not enough to drop the bucks for the anniversary set.

I also skipped Hemispheres. Partly because I already had a fresh vinyl copy of side 1 on a Record Store Day release (CX1:Book I is on the flip side). And partly because I didn't think the audio quality of the Pink Pop stuff was particularly great.

This morning I received the MP 40th, and I know what I'm doing tonight. Riding the train to Bangkok and spinning Live in YYZ!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Same re: covers. There's a side of covers with AFTK 40th too that I listened to once. In fact, I only got through half of DT's Xanadu because it seems so pointless to record a verbatim cover of a Rush tune. And the video footage has been on YouTube for years. I love it, but not enough to drop the bucks for the anniversary set.

I also skipped Hemispheres. Partly because I already had a fresh vinyl copy of side 1 on a Record Store Day release (CX1:Book I is on the flip side). And partly because I didn't think the audio quality of the Pink Pop stuff was particularly great.

This morning I received the MP 40th, and I know what I'm doing tonight. Riding the train to Bangkok and spinning Live in YYZ!
    I'm not really going to listen to the covers more than once but I'm still happy with my purchase. It's the fondle factor, I'm a collector.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I was just listening the Moving Pictures surround mixes on the Blu-ray Disc. There seems to be a missing beat in “Witch Hunt”. Just after the line “the lonely torchlit hill”, a cowbell strike is missing and the guitar comes straight in instead of waiting one more beat.

The CD is fine.

Anyone else with the big box notice this?

Am I hearing this right?

On Live in YYZ, Red Barchetta starts…

“We’d like to do a song for you now that takes place in Rochester I think…”

That sounds like something a lead singer would say to get a local crowd excited. Why would Ged say that to a Toronto crowd?

Could this song’s recording be from Rochester, NY later in the 1981 tour???

Quote Originally Posted by LashedToTheMast View Post
    Am I hearing this right?

On Live in YYZ, Red Barchetta starts…

“We’d like to do a song for you now that takes place in Rochester I think…”

That sounds like something a lead singer would say to get a local crowd excited. Why would Ged say that to a Toronto crowd?

Could this song’s recording be from Rochester, NY later in the 1981 tour???
    Yep..I heard that too! My hometown (well East Roch actually).

Oh, that's right, the one with the stupid COVER versions of Rush songs - totally inappropriate, IMO. And of course, the inclusion of both CD and vinyl, which is unacceptable. No wonder I forgot about it! And the awful, new cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks! I just bought it for $36 USD, with shipping. My favourite Rush album and one of my first concerts!
    The deluxe edition, with CDs, DVD or BD, and vinyl? If so, that's a great price! Or did you get just CD or vinyl (which would actually be better)?