Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: Black midi - Band

  1. #1
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    669

    Black midi - Band

    Someone in the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum FB group posted this video and I had one of those magical musical moments in which everything coalesced artfully. Here is a mix of Chrome Hoof, Virus, Battles, Zappa and sprinkles of KC. Any existing fans here? And they are touring so I immediately snapped up tix.

    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  2. #2
    Member Mascodagama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    7th Circle of Brexit
    Posts
    1,859
    Awesome huh?

    They have quite a following round here amongst those who enjoy the freakier side of things.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,300
    Cavalcade was my album of the year...so yes I'm an existing fan! Great, creative, energetic band. They're coming to Toronto in May...Covid permitting.

    Neil

  4. #4
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,486
    I gave them a listen back when they first got some run here, (I think it was the same video,) and I just listened again, and it sounds like a more frenetic Primus to me. I am not a fan of that band or this track, and so it was a pass then and now. Many people who I greatly respect here, and whose tastes overlap mine quite a bit, like them very much. So I guess it's just one of those things.

  5. #5
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,680
    Cavalcade was one of the very best albums of the last year.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

  6. #6
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Awesome huh?

    They have quite a following round here amongst those who enjoy the freakier side of things.
    <Raises hand>

    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Cavalcade was my album of the year...so yes I'm an existing fan! Great, creative, energetic band. They're coming to Toronto in May...Covid permitting.

    Neil
    Coming through here in April and so far most shows have continued despite COVID.

    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I gave them a listen back when they first got some run here, (I think it was the same video,) and I just listened again, and it sounds like a more frenetic Primus to me. I am not a fan of that band or this track, and so it was a pass then and now. Many people who I greatly respect here, and whose tastes overlap mine quite a bit, like them very much. So I guess it's just one of those things.
    I think it's fascinating how aligned tastes can be to only diverge dramatically on something that seems to fit in the alignment category.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  7. #7
    I keep trying with Calvacade. It's not landing right for some reason. I'm sure it'll click, but I keep putting it off to the side.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  8. #8
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,782
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I keep trying with Calvacade. It's not landing right for some reason. I'm sure it'll click, but I keep putting it off to the side.
    I did two spins and I didn't find a lot of meat on the bones. But that's OK, I can just play Henry Cow instead.

  9. #9
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I did two spins and I didn't find a lot of meat on the bones.
    Wow! I am really surprised by that!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

  10. #10
    Far better live-band than what they're putting out on record, AFAIC.

    Started out as straight math-rock, went into some noise-absurdist territory for a short while, now have ended up as a post-postmodern kinda post-Sleepy/Chrome-post-meta sorta post-/meta-group. In accordance with the general state of "rock" music decay, I suppose.

    Although Flying Colors are still around and immensely important, I suppose.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  11. #11
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Although Flying Colors are still around and immensely important, I suppose.
    Don't know about importance but those boys got some serious MEAT on their bones!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

  12. #12
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Wow! I am really surprised by that!
    It doesn't mean I got it right or it won't will click at some point, but it seems a few others aren't bowled over by that album as well. I need to try again, it certainly created a nice buzz but it just didn't grab me for whatever reason.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Don't know about importance but those boys got some serious MEAT on their bones!
    Don Johnson!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  14. #14
    Finally caught up with this band - EXCELLENT!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

  15. #15
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,316
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I keep trying with Calvacade. It's not landing right for some reason. I'm sure it'll click, but I keep putting it off to the side.
    Yup, not ticking any of my boxes.

    These guys go way too out of their way to be bizarre & freaky - so much that it sort of sounds fake tp me


    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I did two spins and I didn't find a lot of meat on the bones. But that's OK, I can just play Henry Cow instead.
    yeah, borrowed the cd in the library - kept trying for two weeks and I gave up.

    Not going to lose sleep or waste more time.
    they remind me of some of those japanese hardcore prog bands of the 90/00's.

    Not music stuff I want to keep up with anymore.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-04-2022 at 11:02 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  16. #16
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, not ticking any of my boxes.

    These guys go way too out of their way to be bizarre & freaky - so much that it sort of sounds fake tp me
    Hmm... I did not think this was particularly bizarre or freaky. On the contrary I thought that this interesting take on avantgarde rock that even might gain some mainstream success.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Although Flying Colors are still around and immensely important, I suppose.


    Keep hearing about Black MIDI but haven't checked them out yet. I should probably fix that...
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

  18. #18
    Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    285
    There are three songs on Cavalcade I really loved but I don't really get the hype. Actually I get the hype, which is totally deserved, but it wasn't up to my expectations. Schlagenheim, on the other hand...
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Hmm... I did not think this was particularly bizarre or freaky. On the contrary I thought that this interesting take on avantgarde rock that even might gain some mainstream success.
    Me too mate. They are a bit different than the other stuff I've heard lately. I've always got time for this kind of music
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

  20. #20
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    There are three songs on Cavalcade I really loved but I don't really get the hype. Actually I get the hype, which is totally deserved, but it wasn't up to my expectations. Schlagenheim, on the other hand...
    I vastly prefer Cavalcade to Schlagenheim.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

  21. #21
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    8,472
    Discovered them about a year ago and have bought everything released. I give Cavalcade the slight edge, it's my album of the year from '21. Saw them live in the fall, huge energy and loads of fun. Also check out Black Country New Road and Squid from the same scene in London.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  22. #22
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Discovered them about a year ago and have bought everything released. I give Cavalcade the slight edge, it's my album of the year from '21. Saw them live in the fall, huge energy and loads of fun. Also check out Black Country New Road and Squid from the same scene in London.
    BCNR is great band also. They just released new album today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

  23. #23
    I prefer Schlagenheim, but Cavalcade is also very good. Good band, inventive and fresh take on rock music.

  24. #24
    Good, good stuff.

    And find out what the guy doing their vids is smoking and get me a key or so, hey?
    If a bird can speak, who once was a dinosaur,
    and a dog can dream
    should it be impossible
    that a man might supervise the construction of light?

  25. #25
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Discovered them about a year ago and have bought everything released. I give Cavalcade the slight edge, it's my album of the year from '21. Saw them live in the fall, huge energy and loads of fun. Also check out Black Country New Road and Squid from the same scene in London.
    Thanks Nog. This is the best part of posting a "new" band, getting similar sounding artists.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •