Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis live at the Rainbow 1973, original soundboard recording.

Genesis live at the Rainbow 1973, original soundboard recording.

I recently came across this live recording on amazon and did a double take.
    I could not believe my eyes and read it again. I read the reviews for this release and they were very positive, and what stuck out for me were people commenting on the high sound quality. I am very finicky that a recording have good quality sound, as i am sure a lot of people in the prog community feel the same way. Well i just got my first listen to this release and was blown away. The sound is very good with my only complaint being that the bass is a bit muffled. A side from that it is a top notch recording and as i noted in an earlier thread, this concert was my all time favorite show.
    Not this particular show but an exact duplicate of this concert that i saw in March 1974 in Florida.
    I am wondering if anyone else saw this show and what it was like for them to witness Genesis at there creative peak.

Quote Originally Posted by seatrain View Post
    I recently came across this live recording on amazon and did a double take.
    I could not believe my eyes and read it again. I read the reviews for this release and they were very positive, and what stuck out for me were people commenting on the high sound quality. I am very finicky that a recording have good quality sound, as i am sure a lot of people in the prog community feel the same way. Well i just got my first listen to this release and was blown away. The sound is very good with my only complaint being that the bass is a bit muffled. A side from that it is a top notch recording and as i noted in an earlier thread, this concert was my all time favorite show.
    Not this particular show but an exact duplicate of this concert that i saw in March 1974 in Florida.
    I am wondering if anyone else saw this show and what it was like for them to witness Genesis at there creative peak.
    This concert was released as a bonus disc on the Genesis Live Box (Black box) if I am not mistaken. Yes, it is premium audio quality and stands out as one of the most memorable concerts in Genesis history.

There have been a bunch of iterations of this show. For a long time bootlegs of various quality and completeness were circulating, though as I recall they were sourced from a FM radio show rather than a soundboard. An equally incomplete setlist from the show was included on the original Archive 1 set. Apparently this was sourced from the original multi-track tapes with extensive studio overdubs. Then, as noted, the complete show was part of the Live boxed set. Also from the multi-tracks with less overdubs including some keyboards to fix errors in the original performance of Cinema show.

Regardless, it's a cracker of a show - perhaps my favorite of all the official live releases.

Back when I used to attend Cleveland area "Record Conventions," say 1978-1982, 1986-1991ish, I used to do so primarily searching for Genesis & related vinyl bootlegs. At one show, a guy was selling a 90 min cassette of this show, and he had a player and headphones for customers to sample the recording. The sound was outstanding for a recording of this type, but I passed on it, due to the cassette medium, and also that it was just a dub job, not a true bootleg as such.

Lots of boots showing up on Amazon as of late. Is this because of the copyright on performance dates expires at some point?

I first saw them live at the Roxy this year. It must've been part of the tour. What an amazing show
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I have an old vinyl boot of this show. Just killer.

Yes, it did get an official release.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Lots of boots showing up on Amazon as of late. Is this because of the copyright on performance dates expires at some point?
    It’s because the industry is so broken and broke that it is hard pressed to push back against it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    There have been a bunch of iterations of this show. For a long time bootlegs of various quality and completeness were circulating, though as I recall they were sourced from a FM radio show rather than a soundboard. An equally incomplete setlist from the show was included on the original Archive 1 set. Apparently this was sourced from the original multi-track tapes with extensive studio overdubs. Then, as noted, the complete show was part of the Live boxed set. Also from the multi-tracks with less overdubs including some keyboards to fix errors in the original performance of Cinema show.

Regardless, it's a cracker of a show - perhaps my favorite of all the official live releases.
    Yeah, I heard Tony in fixing the keyboard part (some technical issue with his ARP) could not keep up with the band from that era. He recorded the fix up part at slower speed (maybe in a lower key?) and with some studio wizardry sped it up to fix the part.

The live archive box set does indeed include the 1973 live at the Rainbow theater show.
    But it does not include Watcher of the skies, or the Musical box, which the sound board recording does include.
    BTW both of those songs sound great on the sound board recording.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Yeah, I heard Tony in fixing the keyboard part (some technical issue with his ARP) could not keep up with the band from that era. He recorded the fix up part at slower speed (maybe in a lower key?) and with some studio wizardry sped it up to fix the part.
    There used to be a video on YouTube of the process, quite ingenious. Edit is seamless to my ears.

The live archive box set does indeed include the 1973 live at the Rainbow theater show.
    But it does not include Watcher of the skies, or the Musical box, which the sound board recording does include.
    Yes …. and no. The CD/2-ch disc in the live boxed set omits those songs (they can be found on places like The Movement) but the DVD/surround disc still includes them.

Do you know where (site) I can down load it? I think it was on the Genesis museum site but not anymore.

I do not it.
    know where the site is for you to down loaded .
    But i purchased the sound board recording thru Amazon / Greg Walker.

Sorry for the type OES.

I think once I read that this stuff goes into public domain earlier in Europe so that is why we're seeing cd presses now of old boots sold "legit" on Amazon and other place. Our favorite prog mail order sellers usually refer to it as "gray market".

So if you have the original boots somewhere these are probably no different. Some bands like KC, Gentile Giant, ELP will take them and release them as their own official live recordings. All bands should probably just do that if they can.

'The Musical Box' was not on any version which circulated in bootleg-land, was it? I remember 'The Cinema Show' being on some versions, but not all, as it was in markedly poorer quality. Some info here...I think the first version I heard in the 2000s was called The Great Lost Live Album.

https://radioguide.genesis-movement....html#x-20oct73

The Genesis Archive set had Gabriel's dreaded 90s overdubs on some of 'Supper's Ready'. I believe Hackett also did overdubbing somewhere, but otherwise it was left alone, I think.

I do not own the live albums box. This show should have had a wider release, for sure.

Wow, that’s a blast-from-the-past. I mostly traded/torrented Genesis boots, but did buy a few and Great Lost Live Album was one. Haven’t cracked it in decades, but it’s still sitting in my CD rack. Nice professional packaging, but seem to recall sound quality was pretty dodgy, and surpassed in all respects by subsequent official releases. I think Cinema Show and Epping Forest are the songs missing ….. but memory fades.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I think once I read that this stuff goes into public domain earlier in Europe so that is why we're seeing cd presses now of old boots sold "legit" on Amazon and other place. Our favorite prog mail order sellers usually refer to it as "gray market".

So if you have the original boots somewhere these are probably no different. Some bands like KC, Gentile Giant, ELP will take them and release them as their own official live recordings. All bands should probably just do that if they can.
    Is this why Pink Floyd released 12 concerts from the early 70's recently?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'The Musical Box' was not on any version which circulated in bootleg-land, was it? I remember 'The Cinema Show' being on some versions, but not all, as it was in markedly poorer quality. Some info here...I think the first version I heard in the 2000s was called The Great Lost Live Album.

https://radioguide.genesis-movement....html#x-20oct73
    Indeed, that 2014 release was the first version I came across to include it:

https://www.discogs.com/release/9083...e-Rainbow-1973

Wow, that’s a blast-from-the-past. I mostly traded/torrented Genesis boots, but did buy a few and Great Lost Live Album was one. Haven’t cracked it in decades, but it’s still sitting in my CD rack. Nice professional packaging, but seem to recall sound quality was pretty dodgy, and surpassed in all respects by subsequent official releases. I think Cinema Show and Epping Forest are the songs missing ….. but memory fades.
    The version I heard- not a physical copy- was good quality and only had 'The Cinema Show' missing (and 'The Musical Box' which was never on any version until the SACD/DVD box). It's possible it was some sort of upgraded version. I think it also had the coda of '...Moonlit Knight' cut short as was noted on the link.

I didn't even know what it was or where it was recorded at the time I first heard it, as I didn't own the Archive box then.

Another complete, professionally recorded show from that tour worth seeking out is Montreal 1974. Although not as good a recording as the Rainbow show, it's a slightly different set, with 'Horizons'.

Never mind, memory fart! Set I was thinking of was a box titled ‘From One Fan to Another’ ….. which was a Lamb boot. That’s the one sitting on my CD shelf LOL. I probably had a copy of Lost Live at some point when I literally had hundreds of Genesis bootlegs. Culled the vast majority as better versions appeared and now down to about 20 that have stood the sound quality test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

G E N E S I S
    1973-10-20
    The Rainbow Theatre, London, England
    DGY-REM
    recording for the King Biscuit Flower Hour show

source materials:
    1. Top Gear 2014 Bootleg cds
    2. Welcome To The Epping Forest Bootleg version

There are no used any offical edition, however the Top Gear un-eqed (!)
    material Supper's Ready and the story parts beginning was overdubbed
    with plus crowd noise and Peter Gabriel's later voice. This parts were
    patched from WTEF parts, which got also a DGY-REM treatment, which was
    made with Steinberg Wavelab. No any filters nor digital noise reduction
    were used. Many clicks, volume-levels and tape-flips were manually
    corrected.
    Enjoy.

cd1 58:51
    01 - Watcher Of The Skies 9:13
    02 - Dancing With The Moonlit Knight 8:43
    03 - The Cinema Show 11:15
    04 - I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) 5:26
    05 - Firth Of Fifth 8:36
    06 - Story Of Henry & Cynthia 1:15
    07 - The Musical Box 10:59
    08 - More Fool Me 3:21

cd2 39:07
    01 - The Battle Of Epping Forest 12:06
    02 - Old "Henry - Michael" Story 3:07
    03 - Supper's Ready 23:41
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The eons are closing
    Never mind, memory fart! Set I was thinking of was a box titled ‘From One Fan to Another’ ….. which was a Lamb boot. That’s the one sitting on my CD shelf LOL. I probably had a copy of Lost Live at some point when I literally had hundreds of Genesis bootlegs. Culled the vast majority as better versions appeared and now down to about 20 that have stood the sound quality test of time.
    From One Fan.... is awesome and better IMO b/c it has no 90s Hackett or PG overdubs [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit