Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame nominees

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Most of that has to do with pop culture, not rock and roll.

Whatever.
    I'd say that has played an "important" role in the HoF decision making processes. That, or a handful of darts.

The 2023 ceremony is now on USA tv (channel: abc) and I'm wondering whether the Kate Bush coverage already happened during the first hour that passed in this 3-hour program.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    ^I turned it on underway and saw Annie Clark singing a Kate Bush song, but did not see Kate herself, nor hear any dialog. I could have missed some of it. Saw pretty much everything after I tuned in. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But my expectations for all television are pretty low.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2024 Nominees:

Mary J. Blige
    Mariah Carey
    Cher
    Dave Matthews Band
    Eric B. & Rakim
    Foreigner
    Peter Frampton
    Jane’s Addiction
    Kool & the Gang
    Lenny Kravitz
    Oasis
    Sinéad O’Connor
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Sade
    A Tribe Called Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2024 Nominees:

Mary J. Blige
    Mariah Carey
    Cher
    Dave Matthews Band
    Eric B. & Rakim
    Foreigner
    Peter Frampton
    Jane’s Addiction
    Kool & the Gang
    Lenny Kravitz
    Oasis
    Sinéad O’Connor
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Sade
    A Tribe Called Quest
    yuk for the most part
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    yuk for the most part
    Yeah. I’d like to see Frampton in. That’s about it.

A very MOR list. With a few exceptions, this is easily the poorest crop they've had.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    There is usually two or three I like. This list is horrible.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm happy with Frampton, Jane's Addiction, Ozzy, and Sinéad O'Connor. Not unhappy about A Tribe Called Quest. The rest can go suck snot from the trunk of a syphilitic elephant.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I like Sade, but the words "Rock and Roll" never crossed my mind when listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I like Sade, but the words "Rock and Roll" never crossed my mind when listening.
    I like her too, but feel the same. They should change the name of this museum. Call it the popular music HOF.

Easily the most dismal list of nominations yet, although I'm sure there are further depths to plumb.

Look at the bright side. Most of us will be long-gone when they nominate Taylor Swift.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It's yet another bad list for sure. I would've thought Styx should've been in there long ago considering how long they've been at it, the number of records they've sold, and the number of big radio hits they've had.

Look at the bright side. Most of us will be long-gone when they nominate Taylor Swift.

Supertramp is another band that I think should be in.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Absolutely. "Should've been in a long time ago" has become a well-worn refrain when it comes to R&RHoF nominees.

Truly a pathetic list. Sinéad is the only one I could give even half a hoot about. Cher getting in as a solo artist when they haven't inducted Sonny & Cher would be a sick joke.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^Sonny and Cher and the latter's early solo hits I can handle. Those later 'comeback' hits of hers? Not so much.

I don't really see how several on that list get in ahead of- say- Iron Maiden. Longevity, success, influence- Maiden obviously have all of that. They have been nominated, but never got in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like her too, but feel the same. They should change the name of this museum. Call it the popular music HOF.
    It's been that way for a while, but this is definitely the least 'rock' list they've had. I'm not making a value judgement that rock bands are 'better' or anything. If the name was changed then fine, most of these would get in.

In a 'rock hall' I would put in Foreigner and Jane's Addiction now. Both very different acts but significant ones.

With Ozzy Osbourne, it's what I always say with solo careers. I think the earlier band induction should have been enough. When someone goes in with a band it should encompass the other things they've done.
    Last edited by JJ88; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:35 AM.

Ummmm.... her first album was in 2006. If I recall correctly and 20 years is the baseline, she'll be eligible in just two years, and odds are very good she'll be nominated within a year or two of eligibility. She's this generation's Elton John.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ummmm.... her first album was in 2006. If I recall correctly and 20 years is the baseline, she'll be eligible in just two years, and odds are very good she'll be nominated within a year or two of eligibility. She's this generation's Elton John.
    Yeah, whatever. It was a joke. I am pretty sure the baseline is 25 years, anyway. You didn't look that up?

I have no idea what that comment about Elton John means.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Sonny and Cher and the latter's early solo hits I can handle.
    Cher did do a pretty bitchin' version of "I Walk on Guilded Splinters" early on, which I used to have on a 45.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

If Cher gets in - and I assume she will - she needs to ride out on a horse in full headdress, performing Half Breed. I had this on a 45 when I was a kid, didn't really compute who Cher was back then. But I always liked that tune along with "Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves".

Agreed. Plus more Quintessential Prog bands (RRHOF doesn't like Prog): ELP, TULL, King Crimson, Camel, Gentle Giant and the already mentioned, Styx. The term pathetic is too soft to describe this derision.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Supertramp is not in? Unreal
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)